DeepDiver

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
My Dixon ZTR lawnmower has the main traction v-belt failing and needs
replacing. Looks like a real dog of a job, I obviously have to remove 3
other v-belts and a countershaft, plus other stuff I don't know about
yet. Looks like they dropped the belt on the assembly line and built
the lawnmower around it. Seems like a good place to use a segmented
belt, BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the outside of the belt.
Will this cause any trouble?

When you say the idler pulley bears on the outside, I assume you mean the
outer face of the belt, correct? I see no problem with this, as the locking
tabs of a PowerTwist belt run on the inside: the outer face of PowerTwist
belts are relatively flat.

But to be sure, you should check with the manufacturer, Fenner Drives:
1-800-243-3374

At least the belt only goes one way, and the belt stops and tension is
removed when the brake is set, but the belt does twist from horizontal
to vertical pulleys.

This, to me, is a much greater concern than the idler pulley issue. I don't
know if the PowerTwist belts would like a 90 deg twist in travel. Again, you
should ask Fenner.

- Michael