Andrew H. Wakefield

Ernie, you've gotten lots of good suggestions; let me take a different tack
on this (no pun intended, of course!):

As a college professor, I've written a couple of textbooks. I have found it
helpful to work on the book *as* I am teaching the course. (Not necessarily
writing it as you go along--I did that once and about went under!) But you
will think of many, many things that need to be in the book as you are
working with the students. If you don't write them down immediately (or keep
a pocket recorder handy and record a memo for yourself) they will be gone
when you sit down to write the book. You may even be able to work out some
sort of release form that would let you take pictures of actual student
mistakes for use in the book (probably need to consult a lawyer and your
school on that one). At the very least see if you can take pictures as a way
of reminding yourself of things you need to address, even if you have to
reproduce the mistakes yourself for the actual publication.

I say all of the above even if you are not necessarily intending this book
to be a "textbook" as such. The textbooks for the welding classes at the
community college are more than $100, so they have a pretty limited
audience. On the other hand, you could write a book for more general
consumption that would still be very useful (perhaps even more practically
useful) as a supplementary textbook, as well as for a lot of folks who are
not taking classes (or already have taken classes). BTW, I don't know how
publishers are in this sort of field, but textbook publishers in the
humanities often want to see a *textbook* actually used a couple of times in
a class, and preferably by more than just the writer, before they publish
it. A more general-purpose text does not have to pass that test, so long as
you can sell the publisher on it. As to the latter, publishers normally want
to see that you have the credentials and experience to justify the book; I
think you could refer them to any member of SEJW and/or RCM for a resounding
recommendation!

Finally, I'll chime in regarding including a DVD or CD. More and more
publishers see this as a way of distinguishing their books from their
competitors. I think the words of caution about producing a full-length
video (DVD) are worth noting. On the other hand, short video segments could
sure make a difference in the usefulness of the text. I'm thinking for
example about the short video demonstrating how to feed a TIG rod through
your fingers that you posted to the drop box a year or so ago -- something
like that would be *very* difficult to convey in text, but was clear as
crystal with even a low-resolution video. Short video segments like this
would, I think, be much more feasible and affordable to produce, and
probably as useful and maybe even more useful than trying to put together 2
hours of continuous video.

Hope this helps!

Andy

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

Randy Zimmerman

As an afterthought ... You might look at present day examples. I do know
that AWS is developing instructional materials for their approved
instructors.
Locally in B.C. Canada we have module books that are used in a vocational
setting. ( currently being revised)
http://www.publications.gov.bc.ca/pu...ato=7960000058

I know Alberta also has a considerable library of material for their
vocational programs.
There is no use re-inventing the wheel and at the same time reference
materials also tell you what not to do in designing the presentation.
Randy

axolotl

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.

Here's more million dollar advice. There are a lot of welding books out
there. If you want to make money, write a book about how to get
acceptable results with the sleazy HF-like welding units. There are a
lot more people with the cheap machines than 600 Amp TIGs.

Kevin Gallimore

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:05:31 GMT, the opaque "carl mciver"
clearly wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

| ETA, please?

Ouch, hearing that hurt! Remember his sig line about deadlines?
Assuming he has a full time job and a life elsewhere, vs a career
intellectual living on someone else's check and sniping about useless things
in life, a tome of a mere half our expectations would take years.

Decades. We're greedy folks. Then again, that's why I offered to beta
test/proofread it for him.

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Don D.

Now that I have read all the posts. I would like to see a DVD / book that
work hand in hand as a follow along so you can use the book to follow on and
then take it to bed or work as a refresher to read. Some people do books and
videos on a subject but they are now saying the same or it sounds different.
I for one watch better that reading, but if I see it on video or DVD then
read it, it will soak in better.
This coming from a beginner. If you want to teach them right, you need to
start with a beginner so you can groom them the ground up.
I like reading this news group. It does help with info. Right now all I have
is O/A and wire feed but I do buy books and videos on all I can.

Don D.

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote in message
As an afterthought ... You might look at present day examples. I do know
that AWS is developing instructional materials for their approved
instructors.
Locally in B.C. Canada we have module books that are used in a vocational
setting. ( currently being revised)
http://www.publications.gov.bc.ca/pu...ato=7960000058

I know Alberta also has a considerable library of material for their
vocational programs.
There is no use re-inventing the wheel and at the same time reference
materials also tell you what not to do in designing the presentation.
Randy

Keith Marshall

Oops, hit the wrong button and sent an empty reply. Sorry 'bout that!

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

While I understand that you need those books for teaching, it's already been
done. I'm sure your versions would be better but what I'd really like to
see is something more along the lines of a "tricks of the trade" or "bedside
reader" type of book that covers all the cool tricks you've taught us over
the years such as the pencil and washer trick to learn TIG torch movement,
how to smoothly advance filler in your hand and the nice "corner square" you
told us about. The kinds of tricks that aren't in books already. I've seen
several books along those lines for machinists but not for welders/weldors.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

James Waldby

Peter Grey wrote:
I haven't read all the responses so I don't know if I'm repeating other's
ideas... Things I would liked to have known as I followed the path from
newbie-ism to my current not-quite-newbie-ism would include:

How to judge how succesful my welding was; how to do destructive testing,
tell-tale signs of bad welds.

I read all the responses, and don't recall "how to do destructive
testing" mentioned elsewhere. I don't think it takes much
explaining on the "how", so fitting it in shouldn't be a problem.
(But as JohnM wrote, "You're gonna need wheels for this book if
you take even half the advice you've got so far." Maybe that could
be a welding project in the book Anyway, I think there should
also be at least a few paragraphs about the "why" of destructive
testing, and how important it is, and how informative and surprising
it can be, and why destructive testing should be done by the maker
rather than the end user.

Do you plan to mention or cover any nondestructive testing methods?

-jiw
Ernie Leimkuhler

OK Guys after reading the responses I am starting to get an idea of what
direction I am going to take.

I am thinking I will follow the pyramid approach.
The traditional way to write newspaper articles is to give the most
important information at the beginning and then work your way back so
the last paragraphs of the article give the greatest detail.
I can see this working for welding instruction.
Each section would give you the basics up front, of say MIG, like how to
set the machine and move the gun, and then digress further as you go
into it towards WHY you do those things.
If you can catch on fast you don't even have to read the whole section
to get started.

First I am going to do a general welding book that covers GAS, MIG, TIG,
STICK, Fuel-gas cutting, and Plasma cutting.

A second book will cover just TIG with a lot more info on fabrication.

Each book will have a large reference section in the back, or maybe I
will have a third reference book, separate from those 2.

As to the DVD/Video tape, I will do one that accompanies each book.
The videos will be available by themselves as well, but will work hand
in hand with the books.

I wrote a welding book many years ago, but it was specific to the
theatre industry.
I never got it published, but it taught me a lot about the publishing
world.
I have an offer from a fellow who runs a printing house to offer
print-on-demand services.
So there would be no large upfront cost for printing.
As each order comes in, the book is printed and sent out.
It seems the safest route.
There is a shop here in Seattle that does nothing but DVD and CD-ROM
production, called Discmaker.
They can easily handle mass producing a DVD, once I have the content.

Feel free to keep making your suggestions as to content.
I will keep taking notes.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

That actually sounds very good. Now you just have to -write- the thing!

RAM^3

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

I wrote a welding book many years ago, but it was specific to the
theatre industry.
I never got it published, but it taught me a lot about the publishing
world.

Why not (also) re-view that one and, after any needed updates, publish it
the same way?

A couple of things that others have not mentioned.

One would be to include a photo of a MIG weld that looks good but is
essentially a bead not fused into the parent metal and a photo of how
it fails a destructive test. It would be good to get a photo of the
weld being made. And of course the same photos of a good MIG weld and
how it passes a destructive test.

Another topic to cover is low hydrogen rods. Which metals require that
the rod be really dry and what metals you can weld with 7018 that has
not been kept dry. And something about rod dryers. I am not convinced
that the light bulb in a compact refrigerator are really good enough
for when you need Low Hydrogen rod.

Another whole book you could publish would be projects as making
anvils, welding tables, go karts, sculptures. You might start taking
pictures of things your students build and get releases now , just in
case you ever decide to write a second book.

Dan

John Horner

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

One of the things lacking in almost all of the welding books are good
step-by-step excercises and projects for trying out and refining the
skills and methods chosen. I love the idea of a companion DVD to
demonstrate what is being written about.

Also, don't bog the reading down with lots of jargon and industry
terminology. The books I have found which mostly seem targeted at
formal classrooms are heavy on jargon and light on practical applications.

Make it fun and interesting to build one's skills.

John
RDF

Ernie,
First I would like to thank you for all the free information and tips I
have personally learned from you off of this forum and the videos in the
drop-box (i.e.- filler rod deposit & motions) Since I joined the AWS
recently and got the Ninth edition vol. two I can't really put it down. I
started with Mr. Finch's book as I'm sure a lot of us have. Very limited and
in my opinion. And very "Look what I did" grandiose style of writing that
seemed almost insulting at points. If you were able to replace that book
with your teaching knowledge and history of the science as applied by your
hands and teachings I would love to see content blended such as that of what
the AWS book provided (I really can't thank Artemia Salina for the post on
06.06.2005 for the findings) If you could possibly integrate in whatever
edition or even as a side line - A video series as well as text would be
great. The only book I have found worth a poop on TIG is Miller's GTAW book
my dealer kindly gave me with a few thousand dollar sale. Again, when I got
my 210 Miller included a MIG video tape- a picture is worth a thousand words
but a video has been priceless when I was without a mentor starting out.
Whatever the book (and hopefully video(s), I'm sure it will accelerate and
help many, myself included. I don't know if a book sided one for the
private market and one academic is worth your time but there is a difference
in content in every book I have from school and from real life.
Just a thought sir. Not everyone does this for a living and teaching by
example can be done in video and text, Heck, I did it! (Then I hired a
hillbilly who could weld like a machine!!)

Wish you all the best and if needed, just ask for photo's with
release documents (Gratis of course). I'd be glad to contribute my mistakes
for others to avoid, plenty of blunders and good results from my race shop.
A lot of folks could use a lesson on a class D Fire extinguishers existence
as well. (Or refer to UL).

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
"RAM^3" wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

I wrote a welding book many years ago, but it was specific to the
theatre industry.
I never got it published, but it taught me a lot about the publishing
world.

Why not (also) re-view that one and, after any needed updates, publish it
the same way?

Because I re-viewed it a year ago and realized how bad it was now that I
know so much more about commercial welding.

I may rewrite it so it is much better, but one book at a time.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Grant Erwin

The more I think about it, the more I realize there is to teach about fitting
parts to be welded. What fixtures are easy to make and invaluable, what clamps
work well, techniques for welding things when they have to be flat or they have
to be square or they have to be at a given angle. I learned really a lot about
fitting structural steel when I worked as a shipfitter for 10 years once, but
fitting a framework which will support a generator in the engine room of a ship
isn't quite like building say a display table to go in the lobby of a museum.
What I didn't learn back then was how to use elementary heat forging to fix
weldments that got pulled a little out of alignment. Now I just estimate a
couple of degrees for the weld to pull something, weld it up solid, check it
with a square, and bend it cold or forge it to tolerance whatever that is. I
have never seen anything like that in a book, that's where a
blacksmith/artist/craftsman can bring real value to a welding text.

Grant

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

In article ,
"RAM^3" wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

I wrote a welding book many years ago, but it was specific to the
theatre industry.
I never got it published, but it taught me a lot about the publishing
world.

Why not (also) re-view that one and, after any needed updates, publish it
the same way?

Because I re-viewed it a year ago and realized how bad it was now that I
know so much more about commercial welding.

I may rewrite it so it is much better, but one book at a time.

B.B.

Something in there about how to extinguish yourself when you catch on
fire might be nice.
And a few projects to make some basic tools like an anvil or welding
table.
Maybe an exercise to help a new student go about determining proper
machine settings for a rod when not told up-front. I gleaned a lot from
my welding class one week when I didn't bother looking at the chart and
just experimented until I found a good setting. After that I was better
able to fine-tune my amps even when starting from the initial
recommended setting.
Oh yeah, and just a few basics on electrical wave forms so when a
reader encounters a fancy TIG machine with 9,000 switches and knobs
he'll at least be familiar with the terminology used in the labels.
I don't know how you'd pull this off, exactly, but I believe it would
be best to get away from other welding books that heap on lots and lots
of theory before getting to any actual welding. It would be better to
cover just enough to get started, then have practice and additional
theory in parallel. Less boredom that way.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
lionslair at consolidated dot net

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

I"m back - 40th year from school - got to see the old guys!

How about metal prep. So many times the welding is just done on this chunk...
No prep info - e.g. use SS on AL or don't use xxx sanding disk on YYY...
Does it matter on surface 'grain' that is ruffed up on a fine weld (TIG mostly..)

How to test for a bad weld.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ernie

Thanks for good detailed stuff like the "pencil and washer" exercise
for training your hand and arm to do TIG welding.

When I have done welding training I have found "context information"
useful. Not only see how you weld but also understand why you do it
like this and what the welding system does to make that possible.

I've put in a couple of memorable ones in my training to illustrate
things which meant something to me. Hope it is helpful in showing at
least one "take" on the subject.

Best wishes with book project

Richard Smith

My examples:

Basic stick (Basic SMA)
-----------------------

Positional welding with Basic (AWS xx15 & xx16) electrodes. In UK in
1970's / 1980's during North Sea oil rush, Basic, low hydrogen rods
were used for positional welding (working at all angles and positions)
in fabricating oil rig structures. New type of electrode developed.
Only about 1 weldor in 50 qualifying in qualifying tests when
initially tried in mid 70's with existing Basic electrodes. Problem.
Studied by Phillips Petroleum. Came up with a low-slag welding rod.
Weldor could see what they were doing and slag not filling the joint
unmanageably. Held up example rod to view. A visibly thin welding
rod for its core (wire) diameter. Now capable weldors could pass
qualification. Rod now named "Filarc" because sold up by original
Phillips Petroleum but name invokes its origin and acceptable to all.
Then learned uphill stringer V-butt. Stringer because you are always
looking for high properties when you go donw this route of using
Basics...

So there you have it - a basket of information - not only how (the
technique) but also why - and from where have we come (high-deposition
low-hydrogen rods for downhanding but useless for site fabrication
where do want Basic's low hydrogen and high strength and toughness but
certain to be positionally welding. It's a lot of image of what you
are about. When you are working away, you understand a lot of what
you are trying to achieve.

Cellulosic stick (Cellulosic SMA)
---------------------------------

Can explain about the pipelaying tradition. The Alaska pipeline and
all that. That cellulosics (seem to have?) come out of "shipyard
electrodes" of the 1920's(?) where wrapped iron wire in thread of old
rope and clay and got reasonable weld properties. Explain how high
hydrogen for penetration and therefore good root penetration go
together with very little slag, also making for root running through
very little slag obscuring the root and quick solidification with not
being under and insulating slag blanket. So it all fits together as
this root-running electrode. Then go into techniques. But now
clearly relating what you are learning to what the welding system
inherently makes available to you (it isn't just an accident - it's a
design).

Rick Barter

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

You've gotten a lot of great feedback already, but I'd like to add my
$0.02 to the pile. My comments will be a little more general in nature.

I would like to see a book that covered gas, stick, and TIG welding
because those are the processes that I would use most. I'm learning
on gas now, but want to use stick for the thicker metals and for
structural stuff that I will build around the farm. I will use TIG
later if I produce any metalwork that needs to have clean/pretty welds
such as furniture, etc.

I think that a book that explains the *why*, the principles behind a
process/technique would be far superior to a book just showing how to
do something. I've never learned (really learned) how to do something
from a recipe or a list of steps. In my experience learning to
duplicate a set of steps is worthless because when faced with a new
situation or problem to solve, the recipe doesn't fit and you don't
have the skills to adapt to the situation or problem.

Also, I think that a DVD would be an excellent idea. I have some DVDs
from WeldingVideos.com and they are fantastic. To see the welds being
made close-up and have the action stop and various things pointed out
during the process is very very helpful. And, because it's on DVD, I
can go right to a particular section and watch it over and over and
over. This has the effect of reinforcing what I've read in other
books and shows me what I should/will be seeing when I go out to the
barn and fire up my torch. Then I can go back inside and review and
compare what I saw to what the video showed, make adjustments and go
out and have another successful practice session.

I hope this helps identify some of my needs and some things that may
be beneficial to others.

rvb
RegB

3 days and over 50 replies, which I havn't (yet) read.
I guess I've gone away from looking for books that will intantaneously
(well, quickly) teach me a craft that - IN REAL LIFE - takes 5 to 10
years to learn.
Instant Piano, guitar, whatever ... similar problems.

There might be markets for several different books,
a getting started, teach yourself,
a supplement to the local comm college night classes,
processes

then there are the perspectives of
fab vs maintenance and repair

and the interest orientations;
auto racing, motorcycles, building faux wrought iron stuff.

I think most of the material is here already.
I might want to buy a hypertext version on CD, but not in hard copy.

Don Foreman

Anything you can offer that will make your experience and knowledge
available to others would be a significant contribution.

I'd suggest sharp focus on and thorough treatment of specific topics
rather than trying to be too general. You can always write more
books. There are plenty of books that gloss the generalities while
skipping the particulars that often make the difference. There are
plenty of primary texts. I think you'd offer most value with
"graduate level" in-depth treatments of specific topics. Many of us
can weld reasonably well, all of us could weld better than we do.

You might make reference to and expand upon other available references
rather than trying to duplicate them or improve upon them. I've no
doubt that you could improve on them, but that may not be the greatest
value add you might offer.

Example: I learned a lot from the MIller MIG book, have learned a
lot more by extension and practice of what I learned there. You
undoubtedly have much to offer beyond the basics.

I think that stick, MIG, TIG and O/A would each deserve separate
treatises. There is more than a bookfull to know about each process.
O/A welding and brazing of aluminum is a subject in itself, though
Kent "The Tinman" has addressed that in some depth already.

Welding can definitely be self-taught with bookreading and practice.
I'm entirely self-taught and I can do some pretty good welding on a
good day. I think your value add here might be to teach those of us
that can already weld reasonably well to do it better in more diverse
situations.

Mike Graham's treatise on controlling distortion in a weldup was
excellent. I'd suggest treatment of that art would be a serous
contribution. I need not tell you that good planning, prudent
clamping and a bit of Kentucky windage based on tutelage or experience
makes a huge difference in how an otherwise well-welded job turns out.

Practice gets it done at the end of the day, but Mike's tips helped
me a lot in making MIG and stick-welded structures that turned out
flat, square and servicable with little or no recourse to correction
with big hammer or hydraulics.

Treatment of how to fix what goes awry with heat n quench and/or heat
'n hammer could also be useful. I've not seen that subject
treated well in any book I've read: where do you heat and where do you
hammer with what kind of hammer to achieve the desired result of flat
and square after the inevitable distortion from welding occurs.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:17:34 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

Grant Erwin

Don Foreman wrote:

Mike Graham's treatise on controlling distortion in a weldup was
excellent. I'd suggest treatment of that art would be a serous
contribution. I need not tell you that good planning, prudent
clamping and a bit of Kentucky windage based on tutelage or experience
makes a huge difference in how an otherwise well-welded job turns out.

What treatise, Don?

GWE
John

This might have been mentioned (I haven't read thru all the reponses),
but I would like to see beginner and advanced sections for each topic.
The book could then be used for both beginning and advanced welding
classes, which would save the student some money spent on textbooks.

Grant Erwin

much googling later OK, Mike Graham wrote up a welding FAQ that's mentioned a
LOT but it was only apparently available on his personal site, now gone. Did
anybody happen to archive it and can they either send it to me (see
http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html for my email address) or post a link to it?

Thanks,

Grant

Grant Erwin wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

Mike Graham's treatise on controlling distortion in a weldup was
excellent. I'd suggest treatment of that art would be a serous
contribution. I need not tell you that good planning, prudent
clamping and a bit of Kentucky windage based on tutelage or experience
makes a huge difference in how an otherwise well-welded job turns out.

What treatise, Don?

Grant Erwin

Another thing with respect to stick welding: when do you use not only which rod,
but which rod thickness? For example, on 1/4" A36 flat bar, do you use 1/4" 6011
or 3/32 6011? (I think I already know the answer to that one, but it's a good
example.)

Grant
James Waldby

Grant Erwin wrote:
much googling later OK, Mike Graham wrote up a welding FAQ that's mentioned a
LOT but it was only apparently available on his personal site, now gone. Did
anybody happen to archive it and can they either send it to me (see
http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html for my email address) or post a link to it?

I have a downloaded file weldfaq.htm of 77608 bytes that begins:
Welding FAQ 0.1
Compiled by Mike Graham
Release Date: March 02, 2003
that I can send if a better version doesn't show up.
Perhaps check in sci.engr.joining.welding newsgroup.
Don Foreman

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:38:20 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

much googling later OK, Mike Graham wrote up a welding FAQ that's mentioned a
LOT but it was only apparently available on his personal site, now gone. Did
anybody happen to archive it and can they either send it to me (see
http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html for my email address) or post a link to it?

I don't recall if it was a FAQ. It was on his website, dealt at some
length with how to manage and minimize distortion in a weldment like a
trailer frame. It delt with clamping, tacking, stitching, order
(sequence) of making welds, and ways to correct distortion when (not
if) it occurs. I don't recall if Mike addressed using "kentucky
windage" where distortion is anticipated and parts are arranged so
they'll "pull in" upon welding.

Using as much of his stuff as I could recall, I was able to make the
welded L-shaped cantilever supports for my workbench turn out blackout
square. One of them needed two hard blows with a big hammer. The
others needed no "adjustment" at all.

Thanks,

Grant

Grant Erwin wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

Mike Graham's treatise on controlling distortion in a weldup was
excellent. I'd suggest treatment of that art would be a serous
contribution. I need not tell you that good planning, prudent
clamping and a bit of Kentucky windage based on tutelage or experience
makes a huge difference in how an otherwise well-welded job turns out.

What treatise, Don?

John Husvar

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Another thing with respect to stick welding: when do you use not only which
rod,
but which rod thickness? For example, on 1/4" A36 flat bar, do you use 1/4"
6011
or 3/32 6011? (I think I already know the answer to that one, but it's a good
example.)

Grant

Hmmmmmm. What would I want in a welding book?

How about an Ernie Leimkuhler clone to stand by watching and teaching as
you go along?

Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:48:23 GMT, John Husvar
wrote:
In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Another thing with respect to stick welding: when do you use not only which
rod, but which rod thickness? For example, on 1/4" A36 flat bar, do you use
1/4" 6011 or 3/32" 6011? (I think I already know the answer to that one,
but it's a good example.)

Grant

Hmmmmmm. What would I want in a welding book?

How about an Ernie Leimkuhler clone to stand by watching and teaching as
you go along?

Can we call him "Ping"? ;-P

(AARP ad: "Are you all brothers?" "No, we're clones!")

The ad is supposed to be he
http://www.visit4info.com/details.cf...lad&startrow=1

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Well, I hope that's useful to you. I'm just a hobby welder, so I come
at it from that perspective...

The book I'd most like to see would have a "split personality" with a
focus on practical "How to do task 'x'" and also a focus on the theory.

I think that for each chapter, if you split the two section up (and
make it clear that the both the "how to" and the "theory" sections have
shortcommings) then the book will be useful to a much wider audience
because they can take what they need from it.

For the "how to" section, I'd like to see something like "Modern
Welding", where it shows how to move your hands & hold the rod, etc...
I like to see what you physically have to do to make a good strong,
safe weld.

For the theory section, most of the books are O.K, but I'd like to see
a little bit more about:
metallurgy, how metal expands/contracts when heating, types of
steel (e.g. welding clean stainless vs. dirty mild steel v.s aluminum)
some on they physics of how welding actually works, a little about
heat flow (for e.g., through solids vs. liquids).

I'd also like to see a better discussion of welding safety. For
example, there was a post on The Forge (a blacksmith's list) about the
unfortunate death of Jim "Paw-Paw" Wilson, who died of pneumonia after
giving himself zinc-fume fever. The post went into a little of the
physiology of zinc-fume fever, how it causes pneumonia, etc... (I don't
have the post handy right now, but I can forward it to you). Again, I
like to hear about "how it happened" *and* "why it happened", "what it
means to you".

There have been other good discussions on this newsgroup, that helped
me to be a safer welder, such as shipyard safety, fire prevention, how
important ventillation is, etc...

Maybe in the appendixes there could be a section about:
Business considerations when welding, running a small welding shop
History of welding (maybe talk about forge welding, diffusion
welding (like in mokume-gane, etc...)
More about hardfacing, welding/repairing cast iron
Welding around the home/home shop/amateur welding (O/A is often a
good choice for home use because it's versitile, how to get used
machines, what to look for in surplus equipment, when to rebuild O/A
regulators, etc...)

steamer

--Must admit to not having read all responses, but the one
think I would like to see with a good welding "book" would be a CD with
video of proper procedures in practice, particularly things like
tigging a tee with round tube, that sort of thing..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

I'd like to add welding various metals. The common and the un-common list.
e.g. steels, iron, Al, copper sheeting, Bronze foundry elements - method of
pre-heat if any, shielding as needed, shielding additionally if needed (box..)
Post treating or shielding as needed. Production worthy and small job special
tools, gimics - e.g. tapes that shield, sprays that prevent splatter sitck...

Could be used as a guide to fix a pool pump (cast material) or make a kitchen
vent hood or such - copper... Both with special treatments pre and post.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

John Husvar

In article ,
"lionslair at consolidated dot net" "lionslair at consolidated dot
net" wrote:

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
[...]

It really looks like Ernie would have to write a series of books to
cover everything that has been mentioned.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that, except for Ernie's having to
write down, video, etc, all his encyclopedic knowledge of processes
common and esoteric.)

I'd hope there'd be enough of a market that it could sell well enough to
at least cover costs. I'd buy it for sure.

John D

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Hi Ernie,
I've read most of the replies to your question and have narrowed it down to
two choices.

1. Write the welding bible, about 100 years of welding information at your
fingertips, every process new and old. You will need a team of researchers
and a huge budget.

2. Write a book that "could" replace the instructor in an 80 hour course.
Some theory but mostly practical. Start with safety and cover the basics of
O/A, SMAW, MIG and TIG. Most new weldors need to know how and why. This
might be easier done with video.

Just my 2 Canadian cents worth.
JD