Grant Erwin

The more I think about it, the more I realize there is to teach about fitting
parts to be welded. What fixtures are easy to make and invaluable, what clamps
work well, techniques for welding things when they have to be flat or they have
to be square or they have to be at a given angle. I learned really a lot about
fitting structural steel when I worked as a shipfitter for 10 years once, but
fitting a framework which will support a generator in the engine room of a ship
isn't quite like building say a display table to go in the lobby of a museum.
What I didn't learn back then was how to use elementary heat forging to fix
weldments that got pulled a little out of alignment. Now I just estimate a
couple of degrees for the weld to pull something, weld it up solid, check it
with a square, and bend it cold or forge it to tolerance whatever that is. I
have never seen anything like that in a book, that's where a
blacksmith/artist/craftsman can bring real value to a welding text.

Grant

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

In article ,
"RAM^3" wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

I wrote a welding book many years ago, but it was specific to the
theatre industry.
I never got it published, but it taught me a lot about the publishing
world.

Why not (also) re-view that one and, after any needed updates, publish it
the same way?

Because I re-viewed it a year ago and realized how bad it was now that I
know so much more about commercial welding.

I may rewrite it so it is much better, but one book at a time.