none

Default What's In Your Parts Box?

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:08:23 +0000, mlw wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am crossposting this question since I think it will be of general
interest...sorry if that offends someone.

Now to the questions....what kinds of electronic and mechanical "trash"
is WORTH disassembling and keeping for parts to build other projects?

What did you keep that you should have thrown long ago?

What did you throw that you still kick yourself for tossing?

I look forward to your suggestions, experiences and jokes. ;)

TMT

I have so much crap, it can't be believed. I have an 1802 SuperElf board
dated circa 1978. I have two Digital Sharks StrongARM thin clients. I have
a box of PC type motherboards and boxes of cards, hard disks, etc.
Monitors, cables, discrete components, ICs, 2 osciliscopes, video capture
cards, to 19" rack cabinets, SMP servers, table saw, drill press, engine
hoist, weller soldering station. Lets not even talk about books!!

HEY! I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Junk that is!
Sounds like your as out of control as I in junk collecting.
I've had to section off a large portion of my back yard and put in a
high fence so I could keep my "junk yard".
Also have a couple of storage rooms and am in the process of building
another out back behind my already full to the seams workshop.
Joking aside I do find a use for most of it though I am starting to
fall behind in my projects. (I'm retired so can devote most of my time
to working on this or that, at least when my health allows.)

the notorious t-e-d

Brian Elfert wrote:

Christopher Tidy writes:

But some places have a skip all the time, and the scrap metal skips can
offer especially rich pickings. Learn which organisations in your town

It is probably illegal to remove material from a scrap metal bin. Scrap
metal is worth money so someone will make less money if you take some.

It is better for the environment to reuse scrap metal than to recycle it,
but the local police might not like that argument.

Brian Elfert

Not certain if it's actually illegal but I do know in manufacturing
scrap metal is like gold considering some of the surcharges involved
with the manufacturing. Every little bit counts. To be competative
with China really can take it's toll.

Ted Novak
TRA#5512
IEAS#75
lionslair at consolidated dot net

I have just two of everything :-)
12 trunks catalog of material - 4 of them containing a dozen Bomber Film cans :-)
full of Rf parts of various types, 3 phase breakers, cont actors, filters, Tubes of
many classes from pinky size to baseball bat diameter a foot long. Some trunks are
to heavy to pick up even with help. They are loaded after placement on cement.
I have 12 of them in a x3 row so I don't have to move any to look.
My cabinets contain steel, Aluminum, bronze, portholes (worth mention due to the 100+
pounds in naval bronze that stood equator temp under water for almost 50 years with
just coral to grow on the edges. Going up on my 'yard barn' soon. Making an insert
for the one without the special mineral 'glass'.
Hardly any time to straiten up due to the work load.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life