Bob AZ

Default lathe belt replacement (again?)

Right now I am leaning toward disconnecting the reverse switch and
getting the link belts.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Pull the spindle and whatever else is necessary and do it right. You
will be glad you did.

Especially after you have the pleasure of having all the features and
also the familarity with the machine that you gained by doing the belt
job all the way.
Bob AZ

DeepDiver

"xray" wrote in message

So I was all set to buy some PowerTwist link belt when I remembered
that the motor is reversable. Am I correct that link belts only work
in one direction?

Yes.

Are there any other split belts that run both directions that
are worth considering?

Not that I'm aware of.

Right now I am leaning toward disconnecting the reverse switch
and getting the link belts.

If you don't anticipate doing any reverse turning, then you may be better
off with the link belts for now. But I wouldn't disconnect the reverse
switch. There will be times where you'll want to run the lathe in reverse
under power to reset the carriage position without making a cut (e.g.,
cutting metric threads where you can't disengage the half nuts). For these
situations, running the belts backwards should not hurt them (as far as I
know), since there will be very little power transmitted through them and
they'll only be run for very short periods of time.

If you occasionally need to make a cut in reverse, it might not be difficult
to unlink the belts and reverse them.

If you plan on doing a lot of cutting in forward and reverse, then you
should probably change out the belts.

- Michael

Gunner

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:54:56 GMT, xray
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:47:58 GMT, "DeepDiver" wrote:

"xray" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

From the two replies, I'm getting more into the idea of pulling the
spindle. I could use a little advice about if I know what I need to do,
but I'll start a new message thread about the spindle.

Thanks to you and Bob.

FWIW......my new old Emerson horizontal bandsaw blew the belt shortly
after I got it. All I had to hand was link belt. I made one up (one
size bigger belt than its supposed to be, but it fits ok in the pulley
and have been running it pretty hard for the last couple months.
Monday while I was cutting 5" channel...I realized the belt was on
backwards. Didnt seem to bother it much. Ill leave it on this way.

Swiss screw machines use a LOT of link belt. I service some Bechlers
and some Tornos screw machines and about 25% of them have the belts
running backwards from the help putting them on wrong. So far Ive
never seen a problem with this. Though..it can suck you into the
machine by a loose sleeve pretty easily.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
lionslair at consolidated dot net

xray wrote:

I know it has been discussed but I haven't found an exact answer in
older messages.

I bought a used 13" Taiwan lathe. It was very dirty and I have been
cleaning and lubing the last days. Mechanically it looks good, but I
just realized the belts both are in bad shape.

It uses two B-size belts, motor to intermediate, and intermediate to
spindle. To replace them I would need to remove the spindle and two
other shafts. I have a semi-manual with parts drawings but no text at
all on the process. Looks long and ugly to me. I never worked on any
lathe spindle before.

So I was all set to buy some PowerTwist link belt when I remembered that
the motor is reversable. Am I correct that link belts only work in one
direction? Are there any other split belts that run both directions that
are worth considering?

Right now I am leaning toward disconnecting the reverse switch and
getting the link belts.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Once worked in - that is stretched and formed to the specific load,
they run both directions. After installation - you normally take out a unit
for so many inches. As it fits better and better, it becomes a tight fitting belt.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Tom Miller

There is a belt in "B" & "C" sections that's manufactured in continuous
lengths but has a small hole from inside to outside at intervals of about
20 mm. You cut it to length, then insert a metal joining link to connect the
ends.I believe it will handle a greater load than the TwistLink and will run
happily in either direction. I used one on a Japanese Goza making machine
one time that I couldn't get a correct belt for. (Had to replace it every 6
months or so but it ran 18 hrs / day so it didn't do badly I thought.)
Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name, but you might call up a
local belt supplier and ask about it.

Tom

"xray" wrote in message
[...]

spaco

I have been using power twist belts around here for years. Never even
knew there was a right and wrong direction. Never had any trouble with
one. I hate beating on a lathe spindle. The one on my Atlas 10" lathe
has been there for at least 10 years. I only run it backwards about
twice a year, but who knows, it may be on backwards already!

Pete Stanaitis

xray wrote:
[...]

Link belt - PowerTwist - is mainly used on powered conveyor belts.
Normally many belts on massive motors. They were developed for power
drives. The fibers layers grip and stay with the pulley - e.g doesn't slip.

Long time user of wood and metal lathes. First on my wood lathe.
Naturally 2 sizes.

Martin

"xray" wrote in message

[...]

From the two replies, I'm getting more into the idea of pulling the

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

Try this again - been a problem linking to the news group.

They PowerTwist are normally used in numbers wide on powered convener belts.
The fiber built links really grip.

Martin - long time user wood and metal lathes with PowerTwist.

"xray" wrote in message

[...]

From the two replies, I'm getting more into the idea of pulling the