lionslair at consolidated dot net

xray wrote:

I know it has been discussed but I haven't found an exact answer in
older messages.

I bought a used 13" Taiwan lathe. It was very dirty and I have been
cleaning and lubing the last days. Mechanically it looks good, but I
just realized the belts both are in bad shape.

It uses two B-size belts, motor to intermediate, and intermediate to
spindle. To replace them I would need to remove the spindle and two
other shafts. I have a semi-manual with parts drawings but no text at
all on the process. Looks long and ugly to me. I never worked on any
lathe spindle before.

So I was all set to buy some PowerTwist link belt when I remembered that
the motor is reversable. Am I correct that link belts only work in one
direction? Are there any other split belts that run both directions that
are worth considering?

Right now I am leaning toward disconnecting the reverse switch and
getting the link belts.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Once worked in - that is stretched and formed to the specific load,
they run both directions. After installation - you normally take out a unit
for so many inches. As it fits better and better, it becomes a tight fitting belt.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life