Tom Miller

There is a belt in "B" & "C" sections that's manufactured in continuous
lengths but has a small hole from inside to outside at intervals of about
20 mm. You cut it to length, then insert a metal joining link to connect the
ends.I believe it will handle a greater load than the TwistLink and will run
happily in either direction. I used one on a Japanese Goza making machine
one time that I couldn't get a correct belt for. (Had to replace it every 6
months or so but it ran 18 hrs / day so it didn't do badly I thought.)
Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name, but you might call up a
local belt supplier and ask about it.

Tom

"xray" wrote in message
I know it has been discussed but I haven't found an exact answer in
older messages.

I bought a used 13" Taiwan lathe. It was very dirty and I have been
cleaning and lubing the last days. Mechanically it looks good, but I
just realized the belts both are in bad shape.

It uses two B-size belts, motor to intermediate, and intermediate to
spindle. To replace them I would need to remove the spindle and two
other shafts. I have a semi-manual with parts drawings but no text at
all on the process. Looks long and ugly to me. I never worked on any
lathe spindle before.

So I was all set to buy some PowerTwist link belt when I remembered that
the motor is reversable. Am I correct that link belts only work in one
direction? Are there any other split belts that run both directions that
are worth considering?

Right now I am leaning toward disconnecting the reverse switch and
getting the link belts.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.