hardlu

Default Urgent !!! pls help on tubing design.

Dear all,
Let say I know after maching, the ID of the tubing would be 6.50, plus
or minus .005, unit is inch. The length is 7.5", how can I choose the
OD of the seamless or welded stainless tubing? Can I check the
reference book to find out OD?

If making the question general, it is "is the tubing standard part - so
that I can define only ID, or OD, then based on this one input, I can
check the handbook to find another one, OD, or ID?
I am assuming the length does not have to be related with the ID/OD?

Is this correct? Thanks a lot.

william.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"hardlu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,
Let say I know after maching, the ID of the tubing would be 6.50, plus
or minus .005, unit is inch. The length is 7.5", how can I choose the
OD of the seamless or welded stainless tubing? Can I check the
reference book to find out OD?

If making the question general, it is "is the tubing standard part - so
that I can define only ID, or OD, then based on this one input, I can
check the handbook to find another one, OD, or ID?
I am assuming the length does not have to be related with the ID/OD?

Is this correct? Thanks a lot.

william.

Stock books tend to list tubing by outside diameter, along with wall
thickness and bore sizes.. Typically, you'd look in the book for material
that is the size you desire, beginning with the OD, then check for wall
thickness and ID dimensions to find one that will allow for the finish
machining you require. You didn't mention the OD you want, so I'll assume
it's 7", and does not need to be machined. In that case, according to the
old (1988) Jorgensen stock list I have, your only option would be a piece of
7" diameter 321 stainless with a 1/2" wall. That would leave you with 1/2"
to be bored out for your finished size.

As tubing gets larger, your options get much smaller. You often have to
buy something that's close and machine both ID and OD to achieve the sizes
you desire. Just make sure you can get them out of the piece you want.

Here's a link to EMJ Metals, as Jorgensen is now known. Perhaps you can
peruse their stock list and find what you need.

http://www.emjmetals.com/emjonline/index1024.htm

Good luck with your project.

Harold

hardlu

Harold,
Thanks a lot !!!
My OD is 7.03 inch. so what comments you have based on this new info?
i appreciate your help.
william

Harold and Susan Vordos

"hardlu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Harold,
Thanks a lot !!!
My OD is 7.03 inch. so what comments you have based on this new info?
i appreciate your help.
william

According to the stock list I have, you're out of luck. The only thing
showing in stainless is 7-1/2" diameter, but only a 1/2" wall, so there's no
material for you to bore. It doesn't get any better going larger, so if
your OD is carved in stone, you're out of luck. The best scenario would be
if you can get a change of OD, or find a different source. There are
companies, I'm sure, that specialize strictly in tubing and pipe that may
offer what you need. Sorry I'm not more help.

Harold