DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/109982-workshop-alternate-homepower-environment.html)

Gunner June 23rd 05 10:33 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 03:38:32 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

Speaking of neanderthal, boy..if it was so important to you..how come
you are not using Linux? Thats the bleeding edge today.

You are using old paleolithic tech when using Outleak Exploder.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

JohnM June 23rd 05 11:59 AM

Cliff wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:14:16 -0500, Scott Willing
wrote:

The argument is that posts get separated from their threads for a
multitude of reasons

Only quote the specific bits that you are responding directly to.
You need the context but not the rest.

I seem to remember you snipping my posts in order to alter the context..

John

JohnM June 23rd 05 12:31 PM

John P Bengi wrote:
I have noticed a few things about this.
1) I tried Agent for a month or so and it feels like running a MSDos
programme, primitive and non-intuitive. I am not willing to pay for this
functionality. OE is free without hacking.

2) The people that seem to always have problems with threading or posting
readability are almost always Agent users. For posting binaries it is a much
better machine, I am sure.

3) I have never had a virus scanner installed on my system in the 20 odd
years I have been using MS op-systems. I have used a virus scanner the odd
time but never required a full time scanner and the targetabilty is only
because the results could be seen with such a popular browser. Once Agent
becames more popular it will become a target also.

4) no browser I have ever heard of or seen support bottom posting. They all
separate the p[osted text from the posted header. Threading browsers have
made the top down posting style obsolete in the 80s. Who ever puts their
attachments of previous posts before their text. Do you do this in an email?
The previous posts are all in the thread and available to anybody wanted to
review the previous posts. The arguments for bottom posting are all moot.

Other than that, thanx for your polite information.

Microsoft stuff is pretty functional, and it's basically alright once
you get it configured, but the fact remains that it's the stuff that's
most often assaulted, it's often buggy and MS is darn slow at dealing
with problems. Consider XP and the 'service packs', strange way to do
things..

Try Mozilla's Thunderbird, it's what I use. I really don't know of
anything bad to say about it, it works and it works well. The Mozilla
folks seem determined to resolve issues quickly, I feel that they're
doing a much better job of it than MS.

Don't get me wrong, MS did a great service for the people by putting
Windows out, they helped to make the internet what it is just by
offering a fairly simple and working OS that we non computer-geeks can
use. MS set the standard that others are now exceeding and I can see
little reason for not using that which exceeds. Give it a try, you might
like it. Mozilla Firefox is a very good browser too, try 'em both.

John

F. George McDuffee June 23rd 05 02:48 PM

snip
A visit to Newton might provide some insights. Spending a bit of time
inside Maytag's headquarters, R&D facility, and manufacturing areas
might leave you wondering why it's taken so long for this to happen.

snip
An insightful comment and one I missed the first time I read your
response.

It would be interesting to know how much in deductions the
corporation took on their tax returns over the last 5 or 10 years
for market research and product R&D. Article in Wed. June 22 WSJ
discusses shift in consumer priorities for major appliances from
stolid dependability to flash and glitz, which may help explain
why the "dependability people" are now in deep do-do.

On the other hand, flash and glitz are only skin deep, and how
much can it cost and how long can it take to have a design studio
"re-skin" a washer or drier, and how much can it cost to shoot
metal flake paint in place of white? As an aside, the American
people deserve what they get on this one….

outcomes for senior management were rhetorical, although your
detailed answers were insightful. This helps explain the
"shortage" of engineers and the rapidly declining number of
engineering students. Even the "nerdest" engineer can look
up/around and see that while they (and the rest of the "product"
people) are taking it in the shorts big time, management and
finance are riding off with full boodle bags. While both groups
will have some time off, for the product people it will be a mad
scramble for another job so they can keep the house and the car,
while the management and finance people are resting in Cancun.

Do you happen to know if the Maytag pension plans are fully
funded, or is this another "debt bomb" that will be lobbed into
the PBGC? How about medical care for current retirees? Off
Maytag and onto the taxpayers through Medicare?

We need something more than biased B-school case studies. What do
you think of an economic/financial equivalent to the NTSB that
would investigate major corporate "crash and burn" cases? These
could well be a job for Dr. Kavorikan and not a "crash-cart" and
life-support situation.

In the aggregate the major loss/damage caused by not only Maytag,
but also Enron, Tyco, Ford, EMC, Delta, American, etc., etc., is
a total loss of confidence in the competence and motives of
management by not only their employees, but the majority of
stockholders and the American people.

F. George McDuffee June 23rd 05 02:56 PM

As a followon to another post I just made, see WSJ article Wed
June 22 on this.

I ask the same question about Whirlpool that I asked about
Maytag. How much did they claim on their tax returns for market
research and product R&D over the last 5 to 10 years? It is
clear they did not do any. The apparent choices are "management
malpractice," or "management malpractace" and tax fraud.

Any chance to "claw back" some of the management bonuses and/or
"differed compensation"?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 03:15:59 -0400, Cliff
wrote:
snip
Second problem is that this gives the Chinese an opening wedge
into the U.S. major appliance market with an existing brand and
dealer network, directly threatening #1 Whirlpool with all the
jobs and local taxes revenue they represent.

IIRC Whirlpool is already in big trouble.

Cliff June 23rd 05 03:29 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:50:58 -0700, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Second problem is that this gives the Chinese an opening wedge
into the U.S. major appliance market with an existing brand and
dealer network, directly threatening #1 Whirlpool with all the
jobs and local taxes revenue they represent.

I'll point out the GE does not run unprofitable divisoins
for a great length of time and has been in the home
appliance business for a LONG time as such things go.
http://www.geappliances.com/
Two decades ago they were a leader in the use of 3D
CAD/CAM systems at their Appliance Park facility near
Louisville, KY.
Probably the first 3D sheetmetal software for 3D
CAD/CAM came out of their efforts ...
--
Cliff

Upscale June 23rd 05 03:47 PM

"Gunner" wrote in message
Speaking of neanderthal, boy..if it was so important to you..how come
you are not using Linux? Thats the bleeding edge today.

Windows at home (my preference), Mandrake Linux where I work. (their
preference).

I'm sure I own a half dozen products that are what I'd consider to be
superior to what you or someone else owns. That doesn't mean I'm going to
spend my time criticising you for what you use by choice. It ****es me off
when idiots like you attempt to validate your existence for criticising me
for using what I want. And that's EXACTLY what you're doing right now with
your response above.

Fine, there's a growing population that loathes Microsoft and they have
every right to voice their disapproval. But when people who hate Microsoft
start letting their criticism drift towards users who use MS products by
choice, then I'm going to respond. Got it?

wmbjk June 23rd 05 04:15 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:08:57 +1000, George Ghio
wrote:

You can't get anything right can you. First, I am an American. Born and
raised in San Diego.

Yes, I know, and we're grateful that you moved. If only Mars would
offer the type of retraining that you seem so fond of.

A "putterer" does not hold a ticket for "Unlimited Thickness Structuial
Steel"

I don't see why not. There are plenty of ticket holders out there who
can't earn a decent living at their trade. Some of them can't do any
better than scabbing together rusty crap for cheap customers, and then
complaining about the experience on Usenet. Sound familiar?

My work shop use has no effect on the house system as there is no
connection between them.

So a "design" is only required for homes? But I remember you writing
about doing laundry and vacuuming on generator power, concurrent with
shop use. Perhaps that's a wireless connection...

My fuel use is, Petrol, 20 L per fortnight(14 days) This runs the Gen
set of course, also the tractor, motorcycle and chainsaw.

Hmm... farther along in your post you mention 5 hours per month
welding, accounting for 10 liters per fortnight. Let's allow 3 hours
per week for laundry alone, say an addtional 12 liters per fortnight.
No need to calculate anything beyond that, as your tractor, motorcycle
and chainsaw are already running on magic bean fumes. Perhaps I was
too charitable using your own numbers to tally 15 tons of fuel hauling
so far.

Yes I use wood and propane in the house. So what?

The "what" is that 1. while giving new meaning to the definition of
spartan, and claiming to be a professional, you've spent more and
accomplished less than many amateurs, and 2. - you insist on
criticizing those who've done better, particularly if they point out
your blunders.

So, yes I can account for my entire energy use.

Is this important? Yes.

Why?

Because if you dont know what is going in or what is going out you don't
know what your system is doing. Which is really just not knowing what
you are doing.

I've met many off-gridders who manage quite well despite not knowing
the difference between a Watt and a gallon. They tend to get the idea
pretty quickly - batteries dead, must have used too much, and after a
while they develop a feel for what they can run. Call it what you
like, but lots of them get a much higher proportion of their energy
from solar than you do.

Ah well, you see I do have a simple solar hot water system. What I do
not have yet is the parbolic system.

That's an amazingly lame excuse, although I suppose it's a step in the
right direction that you're finally admitting the wisdom of taking
advantage of the sun. Duh! But 20 years to do a three-day project? And
given your previous comments on how you've "never seen a working
tracker", why would you use a parabolic collector? Anyway, let me know
when it's finished. I'll get a day pass from the old folks home, and
drive down in my Moller Skycar for the dedication ceremony.

Off grid workshops, as I have said already, are as indivdual as the
people who use them. Asking for advice, which can only be generic at
best, is fine but in the end the workshop must meet your needs, not
Wayne's needs or George's needs.

Several of the regulars here who you've criticized bitterly have
systems that meet their needs. Why is it that meeting one's needs is
only a measurement of success in your own case?

My most commonly used tool is a drill. I use battery drills with leads
because they are readily avaliable. I have six at the moment. With an
eighteen A/hour gell cell and two battery drills I can install a 5kW
system on site in two days.

Very impressive. I probably spent more time than that running conduit
for a 2kW system. Additional days for battery box, venting, inverter
mounting, and wire pulling, not to mention trenching, concrete, etc.
But equipped with that six pack of corded cordless drills, at your
rate the whole job could have been done in 8 tenths of a single day.
Man, them drills must be smokin'!

As for my welder, why build a system big enough to run it for perhaps
five hours a month.

To name just a few - to save 1200 hours of generator time and 1200
gallons of fuel, to have the capacity to run all the other loads that
are over a few hundred Watts, to demonstrate that as a successful
"solar power consultant" you needn't take the same road as broke
amateurs... But other than those, no reasons at all.

The warning about your advice still stands as valid.

You might print out the warning and one of your spreadsheets, and take
them along with all your unused cordless drill chargers to the propane
supplier, and see how much of a discount they'll give you. Then report
back after another 20 years on the economics of "designing" a "solar"
home that 95% fuel powered.

Wayne

Cliff June 23rd 05 04:21 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:11:05 -0400, "John P Bengi" JBengi
(spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com wrote:

[...]

Not too bright, eh?
What NG are you from that you never got educated?
--
Cliff

Gunner June 23rd 05 04:50 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:47:50 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

So far, you have shown us:

1. You have a bad attitude
2. You are stupid
3. You dont take critisism well and respond by being an ass.
4.. You have the personal arrogance of a middle eastern Rhaj.

The various posters quite nicely covered the Historical and current
weaknesses in Outleak Exploder. Weaknesses still being found and
exploited by the script kiddies. One should note that the vast
majority of internet viruses are targeted AT OE.

One should also note that those who spend significant time on Usenet,
typically use Agent if they use a MS OS, both because of its ease of
use, its relative security and its versitility. Its generally the AOL
type, or the occasional poster who hasnt invested the meager amount of
time to investigate the various newsreaders to see which best fits
their mode of operation. It was you that made the blanket statement
that Agent was Junk, was it not? With no citations why, other than you
found it unfriendly. Which addresses #2 above btw. Oddly enough..I
and most Agent users find it particularly friendly. We also tend to
use a seperate email program. Few combination programs do both email
and usenet well, without becoming particularly bulky and cumbersome,
and prone to secuity issues. I use Eudora for email. Shrug. Ive used
most of the others.

Btw..this is my 10 yr anniversary of being on the internet. And
no..Ive never been an AOL member. For the obvious reasons.

Now my participation visa vis you in this thread is finished. If I
wish to argue with a ****wit, Ill do so with one I find more
interesting.

Wall June 23rd 05 05:00 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:24:36 -0400, "John P Bengi" JBengi
(spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com wrote:

Try a normal browser like OE and get rid of that piece of junk Agent.

What was this about?

oh , just the Gymmy Bob / Bengi / pizza Girl / Larry Lixxx troll getting his jollies again !
Thank phuck the Globe does not rely on the types that follow this jerks posts to
generate any interest in RE - bunch of dim witted morons, at best!!

mutter mutter ......******s!

John P Bengi June 23rd 05 05:03 PM

When you get a browser that actually supports bottom posting I will join
you. Until then **** off with your trolling.

Yes John, do that - **** off!

John P Bengi June 23rd 05 05:08 PM

When you get a browser that actually supports bottom posting I will join
you. Until then **** off with your trolling.

Yes John, do that - **** off!

Why?

Well John, to put it politely, YOU **** in your own nest!
And the rest of us cannot operate with the dag hanging from your arse.
Plus the methane is unpalatable/unsusable, as is the Host.

Upscale June 23rd 05 06:01 PM

"Gunner" wrote in message
their mode of operation. It was you that made the blanket statement
that Agent was Junk, was it not?

No was NOT. I use agent for downloading binaries. If you're going to play
the asshole, at least try to respond with the knowledge that you have your
facts straight.

Now my participation visa vis you in this thread is finished. If I
wish to argue with a ****wit, Ill do so with one I find more
interesting.

Been looking in the mirror again asshole? Hell, you're too stupid to even
follow a thread properly. I damn well know for sure that you're incapable of
searching out parts of previous threads or you'd have quoted what you're
replying to like any normal person.

Upscale June 23rd 05 06:05 PM

"Gunner" wrote in message

So far, you have shown us:

1. You have a bad attitude
2. You are stupid
3. You dont take critisism well and respond by being an ass.
4.. You have the personal arrogance of a middle eastern Rhaj.

Now my participation visa vis you in this thread is finished. If I
wish to argue with a ****wit, Ill do so with one I find more
interesting.

Now I know you're looking in mirror and the person there is talking about
you.

Cliff June 23rd 05 07:03 PM

wrote:

The argument is that posts get separated from their threads for a
multitude of reasons

Only quote the specific bits that you are responding directly to.
You need the context but not the rest.

I seem to remember you snipping my posts in order to alter the context..

John

John,
I don't think so (but it's possible). Sometimes, with a few
others, I only reply to a slight snippet (see jb & Gunner & crew)
with a sharp poke G.

For most the subject (or a specific subset of it), not the
author, is the subject (whoops .. a tautology?)

Usually I quote the specific bit I'm responding to (for the
proper context). I like SHORT, easy-on-the-reader posts,
little forced scrolling to find the context, and brevity, usually.

Some of the others like huge essays .... but I find that a
few well placed words usually do most of the time.
One may also usually assume that the reader recently read the
prior full post that the reply is in response to.
--
Cliff

Cliff June 23rd 05 07:05 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:31:43 -0400, JohnM wrote:

Consider XP and the 'service packs', strange way to do
things..

I suspect that one day they will do automatic online
updates ... and error reports via Email back to MS.
--
Cliff

Cliff June 23rd 05 07:06 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:50:25 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

So far, you have shown us:

1. You have a bad attitude
2. You are stupid
3. You dont take critisism well and respond by being an ass.
4.. You have the personal arrogance of a middle eastern Rhaj.

Found a long lost relative, eh?
Congratulations !!!
--
Cliff

Cliff June 23rd 05 07:08 PM

wrote:

Now my participation visa vis you in this thread is finished. If I
wish to argue with a ****wit, Ill do so with one I find more
interesting.

It's always fun to watch him arguing with himself G.
--
Cliff

Upscale June 23rd 05 07:18 PM

"Cliff" wrote in message

I suspect that one day they will do automatic online
updates ... and error reports via Email back to MS.

You can already configure it to update automatically. Most people don't like
that including myself. It's tantamount to turning almost complete control of
your computer over to someone else. (or some company).

I equate that to pre-authorized chequing which I monitor very closely. For
the most part, it works out ok, but for the times when your account is
debited for something without your permission. And then comes the time when
you've terminated all purchases from a company, but they continue to debit
your account.

Charlie Self June 23rd 05 09:57 PM

Upscale wrote:

I equate that to pre-authorized chequing which I monitor very closely. For
the most part, it works out ok, but for the times when your account is
debited for something without your permission. And then comes the time when
you've terminated all purchases from a company, but they continue to debit
your account.

Had one of those, once. They billed and refused to credit 14 days after
I closed it down, and told me it "might" happen again. I closed the
account an hour later and threatened to sue them for the payment. I
didn't get the money back, but they sure as hell didn't get anything
else from me, nor will they ever.

John P Bengi June 23rd 05 11:22 PM

M II strikes again!

news:1119542417.802a936af79f12dbd55a5a3c01453788@t eranews...

John P Bengi June 23rd 05 11:30 PM

BTW Cliff:
Most of that other thread was not my postings. It was a super troll we have
been trying to demolish for the last 6 months on a few groups. He doesn't
like the vcomplaints to his ISP and News providers so he forges my nickname
and treis to libel me in any group I visit.

His last known commonly used name is Bunty Jeck. Previously known as Aunty
Jack, Eunty JEck, Gymmy Bob, nunja, M II, Taz, Tez, Tbz, T@z, Troll killer
and over 300 incarnations of those basic ones over the last year. Very
mentally ill (OCD) individual in bed with Wayne and M II here or the same
person.

Sorry for the confusion but I gave up on that thread. I only post from
golden.net. Check the headers

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:02:08 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

F. George McDuffee writes:
Several people have indicated the Current Accounts Ballance of
Payments [trade] deficit was meaningless.

Among other problems, accumulation of U.S. dollars allows the
purchase of U.S. companies, and the transfer of U.S. jobs. See
Reuters article below for details of how the jobs at Maytag were
traded for cheap imports. Another example is the sale by IBM of
their line of personal computers.

And the doomsayers were saying this about Japan when a Japanese
businessman bought pebble beach in the 80's. He
subsequently sold it back to an American consoritium for a
significant loss.

It's probably still there, in one form or another.
Plants get closed & the name brand is now another imported
product. Often of an unknown quality.
--
Cliff

Morris Dovey June 23rd 05 11:39 PM

F. George McDuffee expostulated:

| It would be interesting to know how much in deductions the
| corporation took on their tax returns over the last 5 or 10 years
| for market research and product R&D. Article in Wed. June 22 WSJ
| discusses shift in consumer priorities for major appliances from
| stolid dependability to flash and glitz, which may help explain
| why the "dependability people" are now in deep do-do.

It's probably worthwhile to take note of the fact that I'm not a
"Maytag Expert" and that I can't provide very much more than firsthand
observations (that may or may not be safe to use as the basis for
generalizations) and inexpert opinion - garnered while working as a
software consultant with their R&D group. Since all of the products
under development of which I had knowledge have been announced and/or
shipped, I'm free to speak openly.

On the R&D side, Maytag has extraordinarily competent engineers and
researchers who're as enthusiastic and eager as any I've ever seen
elsewhere. There aren't many of them - and they seemed much
under-appreciated by their management. My thought was (and remains)
that any of Maytag's competitors could ruin the firm simply by
offering this one engineering group an industry competive wage and
management guaranteed to provide genuine appreciation of past and
future accomplishments. With careful research, a competitor could
simultaneously put Maytag's future in grave jeopardy and greatly
enhance their own prospects for as little as $500K/year. In my mind,
for a Fortune 300 company this is tantamount to gross negligence on
the part of management.

| On the other hand, flash and glitz are only skin deep, and how
| much can it cost and how long can it take to have a design studio
| "re-skin" a washer or drier, and how much can it cost to shoot
| metal flake paint in place of white? As an aside, the American
| people deserve what they get on this one..

Flash and glitz /are/ cheap and easy. Solid dependability and quality
of function are more difficult and generally expensive to achieve - no
surprises here. My task as a consultant was to provide a technical
solution that was expected to drasticly reduce that expense. I
provided the requested solution (which incorporated solutions to the
usual variety of unanticipated side issues) and to the best of my
knowlege, that package was shelved because it required a degree of
interdepartmental cooperation/communication that too many of the
first-line development managers weren't prepared to exercise.
(Bummer!)

A related issue had to do with more than healthy managerial resistance
to technology more advanced than a motor-driven cycle controller -
even after their horizontal-axis (front loading) Neptune washer had
provided proof positive that micros are here to stay! I was by
definition a "short timer" and that attitude was grindingly
frustrating to me. I don't want to think about how frustrating it has
to be for the R&D folks who're intending to stay with Maytag for the
long haul...

| outcomes for senior management were rhetorical, although your
| detailed answers were insightful. This helps explain the
| "shortage" of engineers and the rapidly declining number of
| engineering students. Even the "nerdest" engineer can look
| up/around and see that while they (and the rest of the "product"
| people) are taking it in the shorts big time, management and
| finance are riding off with full boodle bags. While both groups
| will have some time off, for the product people it will be a mad
| scramble for another job so they can keep the house and the car,
| while the management and finance people are resting in Cancun.
|
| Do you happen to know if the Maytag pension plans are fully
| funded, or is this another "debt bomb" that will be lobbed into
| the PBGC? How about medical care for current retirees? Off
| Maytag and onto the taxpayers through Medicare?

I don't know. Actually, I didn't pay much attention to anything
unrelated to R&D and/or some specific product development. I sat
through (too many) meetings and took notice of what was being said
about the technology and politics involved with getting the
vertical-axis (top loading) Neptune product working and out the door -
and the implementation of a methodology to streamline development of
all future cycle-based "whiteware".

| We need something more than biased B-school case studies. What do
| you think of an economic/financial equivalent to the NTSB that
| would investigate major corporate "crash and burn" cases? These
| could well be a job for Dr. Kavorikan and not a "crash-cart" and
| life-support situation.
|
| In the aggregate the major loss/damage caused by not only Maytag,
| but also Enron, Tyco, Ford, EMC, Delta, American, etc., etc., is
| a total loss of confidence in the competence and motives of
| management by not only their employees, but the majority of
| stockholders and the American people.

I'd encourage you to make an at least internal distinction between
failures resulting from fundamental dishonesty with intent to
defraud - and failures resulting from stupidity, lack of due
diligence, etc. on the part of fundamentally well-intentioned people.
If I were to choose a single cause for Maytag's failure to thrive
(which would be a huge over-simplification), that cause would be the
selection of a succession of CEO's who lacked the wisdom to define
success and to lead their people in that direction.

Your summary is basically true; but would you really expect that a
government agency /could/ do more than throw good money after bad in
these cases? If so, you're far more optimistic than I'd dare to be.

One final comment. One of my first questions after starting work at
Maytag (and I did ask every single person I worked with) was: "What
does it take to make dirty clothes clean?". What I was after were
things like how much water per pound of clothes during wash and rinse,
how much agitation, how much cleaning agent, etc. with some kind of
mathematical relationships and some numbers. No one knew! I was (and
still am) dumbfounded that no one at Maytag had ever made a serious
effort to define in engineering terms what it takes to make clothes
clean. Think about the implications of that tidbit as you ponder
business failure causes...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

JohnM June 24th 05 12:52 AM

wrote:

The argument is that posts get separated from their threads for a
multitude of reasons

Only quote the specific bits that you are responding directly to.
You need the context but not the rest.

I seem to remember you snipping my posts in order to alter the context..

John

John,
I don't think so (but it's possible). Sometimes, with a few
others, I only reply to a slight snippet (see jb & Gunner & crew)
with a sharp poke G.

You go back and look at the thread where we disagreed over the atomic
bombing of the Japanese cities and you'll see where I accused you of
cutting what I said, resulting in an altered context.

For most the subject (or a specific subset of it), not the
author, is the subject (whoops .. a tautology?)

Usually I quote the specific bit I'm responding to (for the
proper context). I like SHORT, easy-on-the-reader posts,
little forced scrolling to find the context, and brevity, usually.

Some of the others like huge essays .... but I find that a
few well placed words usually do most of the time.

I find your few, well placed words to often sound like you haven't
thought of anything constructive. "Winger!, WMD's!", etc. Maybe the
readers you prefer need it kept simple?

One may also usually assume that the reader recently read the
prior full post that the reply is in response to.

I don't believe that to be a safe assumption. You go through a thread on
a day and you see the posts between then and the last time you looked.
There may be responses to something you read three days ago, twenty
lines up the thread. There's usually a middle ground between giving
enough information about what you're responding to that you're showing
consideration for your readers and cutting enough to not waste people's
time. Myself, I prefer to err on the side of too much information.

John

Upscale June 24th 05 08:25 AM

"Gunner" wrote in message
Bye ****wit.

Now my participation visa vis you in this thread is finished. If I
wish to argue with a ****wit, Ill do so with one I find more
interesting.

Funny, you already said goodbye one and you've doing it again. Must be that
low memory retention you have. Either that or you just don't know how to end
an argument.

George Ghio June 24th 05 09:39 AM

wrote:

You can't get anything right can you. First, I am an American. Born and
raised in San Diego.

Yes, I know, and we're grateful that you moved. If only Mars would
offer the type of retraining that you seem so fond of.

IF, as you say you know then you have told another lie when you claimed
I was an aussi.

A "putterer" does not hold a ticket for "Unlimited Thickness Structuial
Steel"

I don't see why not. There are plenty of ticket holders out there who
can't earn a decent living at their trade. Some of them can't do any
better than scabbing together rusty crap for cheap customers, and then
complaining about the experience on Usenet. Sound familiar?

So you have no ticket. But then there is no ticket for glue guns is there?

My work shop use has no effect on the house system as there is no
connection between them.

So a "design" is only required for homes? But I remember you writing
about doing laundry and vacuuming on generator power, concurrent with
shop use. Perhaps that's a wireless connection...

My fuel use is, Petrol, 20 L per fortnight(14 days) This runs the Gen
set of course, also the tractor, motorcycle and chainsaw.

Hmm... farther along in your post you mention 5 hours per month
welding, accounting for 10 liters per fortnight. Let's allow 3 hours
per week for laundry alone, say an addtional 12 liters per fortnight.
No need to calculate anything beyond that, as your tractor, motorcycle
and chainsaw are already running on magic bean fumes. Perhaps I was
too charitable using your own numbers to tally 15 tons of fuel hauling
so far.

Ah, your lack of numbers shines through again, can you tie your own shoe
laces? Walk and chew gum at the same time?

Let's allow 1 hour for the laundry per week. Something less than a litre

Yes I use wood and propane in the house. So what?

The "what" is that 1. while giving new meaning to the definition of
spartan, and claiming to be a professional, you've spent more and
accomplished less than many amateurs, and 2. - you insist on
criticizing those who've done better, particularly if they point out
your blunders.

Spartan? Hardly. And if you mean done "better" as in microwave,
dishwasher, bread machine, widescreen TV etc. Then the only thing you
have done better than me is to employ a dozen more Chinese than me.

You are a born consumer.

[...]

What an imagination.

Off grid workshops, as I have said already, are as indivdual as the
people who use them. Asking for advice, which can only be generic at
best, is fine but in the end the workshop must meet your needs, not
Wayne's needs or George's needs.

Several of the regulars here who you've criticized bitterly have
systems that meet their needs. Why is it that meeting one's needs is
only a measurement of success in your own case?

No Wayne, the point is not that your system works but that you have no
idea why or how. I too know lots of people who have built systems
without knowing what they were doing. Their advice is as worthless as
yours when it comes to design. For the same reasons.

My most commonly used tool is a drill. I use battery drills with leads
because they are readily avaliable. I have six at the moment. With an
eighteen A/hour gell cell and two battery drills I can install a 5kW
system on site in two days.

Very impressive. I probably spent more time than that running conduit
for a 2kW system. Additional days for battery box, venting, inverter
mounting, and wire pulling, not to mention trenching, concrete, etc.
But equipped with that six pack of corded cordless drills, at your
rate the whole job could have been done in 8 tenths of a single day.
Man, them drills must be smokin'!

My point exactly, you couldn't organise a fart on a bean farm. Which
explains how you built your house. Just hire a swag of contractors then
claim to have done it yourself.

As for my welder, why build a system big enough to run it for perhaps
five hours a month.

To name just a few - to save 1200 hours of generator time and 1200
gallons of fuel, to have the capacity to run all the other loads that
are over a few hundred Watts, to demonstrate that as a successful
"solar power consultant" you needn't take the same road as broke
amateurs... But other than those, no reasons at all.

Why do you try to tout lifestyle as design? While the two go together
they are not the same thing. I don't give a two hoots about your
lifestyle but I do think it's a hoot that you can't define two days autonomy

The warning about your advice still stands as valid.

You might print out the warning and one of your spreadsheets, and take
them along with all your unused cordless drill chargers to the propane
supplier, and see how much of a discount they'll give you. Then report
back after another 20 years on the economics of "designing" a "solar"
home that 95% fuel powered.

Funny thing, I don't own a single cordless drill charger. Last year at
the Bedigo swap I found a nice cordless drill, the full kit. The guy
wanted $15, I offered ten, he said ok, so I put the drill in my bag.

As I started to leave he said, pointing at the case with the battery and
charger, "Don't you want the rest of it?"

I said "Why" and left.

LIFESTYLE. You don't have a clue.

My lifestyle is great.

You think your lifestyle is great.

The difference is that I know how my system works, I know what goes in
and what comes out. I know all my energy use, you can't even work out a
piddling two days autonomy. With or without the undecided reduced load.

Why should anyone in their right mind take advice from you?

The warning stands as valid.

George Ghio June 24th 05 11:11 AM

Oh Yeah

Another one of your lies Wayne. Where did I ever say that anything was
better, or worse, than solar for hot water.

wmbjk June 24th 05 03:12 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:11:42 +1000, George Ghio
wrote:

Oh Yeah

Another one of your lies Wayne. Where did I ever say that anything was
better, or worse, than solar for hot water.

Smart folks already know that in a climate like yours, using the sun
to heat water is a no-brainer. For the less knowledgeable, the concept
will jump up and bite them the first time they run water from a garden
hose that's been laying in the sun. For the very few who still don't
get it, the alternative of hauling fuel should eventually drive the
point into the thickest of skulls. That you're working on a solar
water heating system demonstrates that the light bulb finally came on,
although I'd bet that you'll never admit that solar water heating
should have been part of your original "design".

It's been five days since you barged into this thread with nothing
more than gratuitous insults to offer. That's about how long I spent
building and tweaking a complete solar water heating system including
a hand-made storage tank. So rather than wasting more time defending
your own helplessness with an ever bitter blizzard of exaggerations,
why not get to work on finishing that water heating system instead,
and then report on the results? You could be saving money, and writing
about something useful in a matter of days, which would improve your
rep, and be better for the group.

Wayne

F. George McDuffee June 24th 05 03:23 PM

Fantastic analysis and insight. Depressing though.

While working on my doctorate I took several HRD/HRM classes
which were mainly case studies. I was astounded by the number of
firms with management that had to hire consultants to find out
what it was they were producing, how they were producing it, what
workers they had, who they were producing it for, and most
critical, how it worked.

In several of the cases that were about 10-15 years apart, the
general descriptions of the firms were very similar. Some
checking indicates that these indeed were the same companies with
the same questions. FWIW, these companies are again in the news,
teetering on bankruptcy.

You may be right on a "corporate accident investigation board."
While the NTSB does an exemplary job of in-depth analysis or
major accidents, their efforts are too often short-circuited by
the standard "pilot error" explication [if the pilots died] by
the FAA, and then ignored. I am sure the same thing would occur
with the SEC. We won't bother to mention the FDA.

Good luck on your consulting.
===================================

Arnold Walker June 24th 05 07:34 PM

"wmbjk" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 05:10:55 -0500, "Arnold Walker"
wrote:

"wmbjk" wrote in message
.. .

Now, if compressed air is so much more efficient than batteries, then
why do *you* think that we're seeing ICE/battery hybrid cars driving
around, but not ICE/air hybrids?

Wayne

Because it is pure PC instead of science for starts.
There are and have been air powered cars...they are lighter for a hybrid
version
than a battery hybrid.Since all you do is add a burner in most cases.
Brayton cycle in a turbine ....Or rankine or sterling in a piston .

Off hand, I can think of three ICE/battery hybrids currently selling
in good numbers - Toyota Prius, and Honda Civic and Accord. Unless you
can offer some similar examples of ICE/air hybrids, I'm going to stick
with the notion that car manufacturers haven't found compressed air to
be a competitive energy storage medium for automobiles.

Wayne

A more accurate answer is that Toyota and Honda chose to capitalize on the
PC ,while
GM,Mercedes ,and the of the auto world chose to look for an engine. That
actually was more effecent at something other than
emptying your pockets.

Stanley had third market manufacturers converting thier steamcars to air in
the early 1900's.
Many steamtrains are now ran on air due to boiler code worrys by insurance
companies.
If you ever get back to science,instead politics ....you will notice, much
of what is new is an old idea rehashed.
I ,personally, am happy building the equipment instead of relying on a
another person's word on the information.
If you really must get fried on your information ......the patent office has
about 150years of air drive and electric drive vehicles
to flame with you.I don't see the point.

Cliff June 24th 05 07:36 PM

wrote:

The argument is that posts get separated from their threads for a
multitude of reasons

Only quote the specific bits that you are responding directly to.
You need the context but not the rest.

I seem to remember you snipping my posts in order to alter the context..

John

John,
I don't think so (but it's possible). Sometimes, with a few
others, I only reply to a slight snippet (see jb & Gunner & crew)
with a sharp poke G.

You go back and look at the thread where we disagreed over the atomic
bombing of the Japanese cities and you'll see where I accused you of
cutting what I said, resulting in an altered context.

Not going to go search but I'm certain that I altered nothing
in what I quoted.
It could well be that what I quoted showed your general attitude
rather well though G.

For most the subject (or a specific subset of it), not the
author, is the subject (whoops .. a tautology?)

Usually I quote the specific bit I'm responding to (for the
proper context). I like SHORT, easy-on-the-reader posts,
little forced scrolling to find the context, and brevity, usually.

Some of the others like huge essays .... but I find that a
few well placed words usually do most of the time.

I find your few, well placed words to often sound like you haven't
thought of anything constructive. "Winger!, WMD's!", etc. Maybe the
readers you prefer need it kept simple?

Like many of the wingers? Perhaps so. Even than, many
still don't get it, or so it seems. Look at poor Gunner ..
Much, if not all, of such has been coverd so many times
before and they well know it (or should).
I see no need to endlessly repeat the same longish
replies laden with facts & reasoning or redo any prior
research.

One may also usually assume that the reader recently read the
prior full post that the reply is in response to.

I don't believe that to be a safe assumption.

Better than always quoting the entire thing IMHO.

You go through a thread on
a day and you see the posts between then and the last time you looked.
There may be responses to something you read three days ago, twenty
lines up the thread. There's usually a middle ground between giving
enough information about what you're responding to that you're showing
consideration for your readers and cutting enough to not waste people's
time. Myself, I prefer to err on the side of too much information.

I'll stick with brevity, usually G
--
Cliff

Cliff June 24th 05 07:37 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 03:25:39 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
Bye ****wit.

Now my participation visa vis you in this thread is finished. If I
wish to argue with a ****wit, Ill do so with one I find more
interesting.

Funny, you already said goodbye one and you've doing it again. Must be that
low memory retention you have. Either that or you just don't know how to end
an argument.

He'd have to be able to have one first.
--
Cliff

Cliff June 24th 05 07:48 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:39:39 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Maytag

My impression of themis one of overpriced stuff that's
no better than anyone else's.

Perhaps unerelated ... Sears seems to like to
sell models that they (Sears) are the sole supplier
of spare parts for .... so take a standard model,
rebadge it & alter a few key failure prone or
consumable items ...
--
Cliff

Cliff June 24th 05 07:57 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:30:15 -0400, "John P Bengi" JBengi
(spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com wrote:

BTW Cliff:
Most of that other thread was not my postings. It was a super troll we have
been trying to demolish for the last 6 months on a few groups. He doesn't
like the vcomplaints to his ISP and News providers so he forges my nickname
and treis to libel me in any group I visit.

His last known commonly used name is Bunty Jeck. Previously known as Aunty
Jack, Eunty JEck, Gymmy Bob, nunja, M II, Taz, Tez, Tbz, T@z, Troll killer
and over 300 incarnations of those basic ones over the last year. Very
mentally ill (OCD) individual in bed with Wayne and M II here or the same
person.

Sorry for the confusion but I gave up on that thread. I only post from
golden.net. Check the headers

Hope you liked the way I trimmed his/her top-posted stuff G.
--
Cliff

Me June 24th 05 08:20 PM

In article ,
"Arnold Walker" wrote:

Many steamtrains are now ran on air due to boiler code worrys by insurance
companies.

CFR (Call for Reference) on the above. as I believe it to be
Bull****..... the only Steampowered Trains still in existance,
and in commercial service are in third and fouth world countries,
and mostly run on diesel fired boilers. Turning big air compressors
with diesel engines is a very wastefull way to move Railroad Rolling
Stock.

Me

Juergen Hannappel June 24th 05 08:31 PM

Me writes:

In article ,
"Arnold Walker" wrote:

Many steamtrains are now ran on air due to boiler code worrys by insurance
companies.

CFR (Call for Reference) on the above. as I believe it to be
Bull****....

I think so too, especially because even without the water an old
boiler pressurized with air is also no small danger.

the only Steampowered Trains still in existance,
and in commercial service are in third and fouth world countries,

There *might* be some stored steam engines still running, typically in
chemistry or power plants where steam is available anyway and can be
filled into the engine easily.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23