Pete Keillor

Default Photos in Dropbox

A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished (other than paint).
It's too heavy but rolls well. About half the weight is the wheels.
They were cheap, but are cast iron and solid rubber. There are a
couple of half inch steel pads welded under the front edge of the
bottom plate. This keeps the cart resting on the tires and the pads,
which prevents rocking. It seems pretty stable.

I found a small toolbox at Ace and bolted it on.

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart01.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart02.jpg

Pete Keillor

Brian Lawson

Hey Pete,

Looks very good!! And if you don't have to lift it in and out of a
vehicle, who cares about the weight. And paint....why?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:49:51 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished (other than paint).
It's too heavy but rolls well. About half the weight is the wheels.
They were cheap, but are cast iron and solid rubber. There are a
couple of half inch steel pads welded under the front edge of the
bottom plate. This keeps the cart resting on the tires and the pads,
which prevents rocking. It seems pretty stable.

I found a small toolbox at Ace and bolted it on.

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart01.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart02.jpg

Pete Keillor

Brian Lawson

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:11:30 GMT, xray
wrote:
SNIP
I came to have the oxy acet welding set because I went to Sears to buy a
pillow. I did get the pillow, but on the way out I found myself forced
to buy the welder too.

Just gotta luv a guy with that much personal self-control!! I woulda
forgot the pillow I bet!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Clark Magnuson

Pete,
With the red and green colors and the red ribbon, it looks like Christmas.

Is that a Victor Performer torch outfit? If so, how do you like it? I
am thinking about a Super Range, but a Performer may be fine for my
hobbyist needs. TIA.

Randy Zimmerman

Nice work but it might be prudent to replace the straps with chain. At home
it could be ok but in industry you have to use chain.to prevent the bottles
falling over in a fire.
Randy

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished (other than paint).
It's too heavy but rolls well. About half the weight is the wheels.
They were cheap, but are cast iron and solid rubber. There are a
couple of half inch steel pads welded under the front edge of the
bottom plate. This keeps the cart resting on the tires and the pads,
which prevents rocking. It seems pretty stable.

I found a small toolbox at Ace and bolted it on.

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart01.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart02.jpg

Pete Keillor

Al Patrick

Randy Zimmerman wrote:
Nice work but it might be prudent to replace the straps with chain. At home
it could be ok but in industry you have to use chain.to prevent the bottles
falling over in a fire.
Randy

Interesting. I know of a welding shop that just burned within the last
week. Actually, the service came through an adjoining building and it
burned, but it got part of the welding building, and equipment, as well.

Just reinforcing what you said. Buildings DO burn. I talked with the
welder and it seems some gages were messed up as well as one tank, and
other things. I think he said the firemen got there just in time to
throw a hose on the tanks and keep them cool-er.

Don't know the cause of the fire, but if the welding shop service was in
conduit it appears to have been plastic and may have just been single
conductors hanging together after entering the building.

P.S. Nice job on the cart. I need to complete one I started a couple
months ago, before I had a welding table ... and let the base twist
slightly because of not having the 1" sq. tubing clamped in place. I'm
putting the tubing on the base as well, and expect to use about 20" (?)
bicycle type hard rubber tires.
Pete Keillor

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:21:25 GMT, "Randy Zimmerman"
wrote:

Nice work but it might be prudent to replace the straps with chain. At home
it could be ok but in industry you have to use chain.to prevent the bottles
falling over in a fire.
Randy

Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered why I usually see chain. I'll
just have to figure out a good way to snug it.

A previous reply asked if the torch was a Victor Performer. No, it's
the Radnor knockoff. It works ok and is supposed to be compatible
with Victor tips. I'm thinking about getting a Smith Little Torch for
small silver soldering jobs, etc.

Thanks also for the nice comments from everyone.

Pete Keillor

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
.. .
A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished

snip

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart01.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart02.jpg

Pete Keillor

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Pete Keillor wrote:
A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished (other than paint).
It's too heavy but rolls well. About half the weight is the wheels.
They were cheap, but are cast iron and solid rubber. There are a
couple of half inch steel pads welded under the front edge of the
bottom plate. This keeps the cart resting on the tires and the pads,
which prevents rocking. It seems pretty stable.

I found a small toolbox at Ace and bolted it on.

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart01.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart02.jpg

Pete Keillor

Good add on.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Randy Zimmerman

I like a small turnbuckle on the chain or a piece of threaded rod on the
end of the chain with a nut with two small wings welded on to make a
wingnut.
The other way is a strap of steel 1/8th thick by 2 inches wide bent to
match the cylinders.
Randy

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered why I usually see chain. I'll
just have to figure out a good way to snug it.

A previous reply asked if the torch was a Victor Performer. No, it's
the Radnor knockoff. It works ok and is supposed to be compatible
with Victor tips. I'm thinking about getting a Smith Little Torch for
small silver soldering jobs, etc.

Thanks also for the nice comments from everyone.

Pete Keillor

Gunner

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:58:45 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered why I usually see chain. I'll
just have to figure out a good way to snug it.

Small double hook turnbuckle. Hardware store for $4.00USD

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Robert Swinney

Pete sez:
"...I'm thinking about getting a Smith Little Torch for
small silver soldering jobs, etc."

Yeah, me too. I've got one on order. The decision was made when I tried to
adjust the pressure and flame on a #1 Victor tip small enough to "size" a
finger ring. It was successful, but difficult (and scary) to do on a
diamond ring.

wrote:

Nice work but it might be prudent to replace the straps with chain. At
home
it could be ok but in industry you have to use chain.to prevent the
bottles
falling over in a fire.
Randy

Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered why I usually see chain. I'll
just have to figure out a good way to snug it.

A previous reply asked if the torch was a Victor Performer. No, it's
the Radnor knockoff. It works ok and is supposed to be compatible
with Victor tips.
Thanks also for the nice comments from everyone.

Pete Keillor

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
. ..
A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished

snip

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart01.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart02.jpg

Pete Keillor

mongke

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:57:23 +0000, Pete Keillor wrote:

A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished (other than paint). It's
too heavy but rolls well. About half the weight is the wheels. They were
cheap, but are cast iron and solid rubber. There are a couple of half
inch steel pads welded under the front edge of the bottom plate. This
keeps the cart resting on the tires and the pads, which prevents rocking.
It seems pretty stable.

I found a small toolbox at Ace and bolted it on.

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart01.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/OACart02.jpg

Pete Keillor

Very nice. I want to make one for myself.
BTW, are those the 6 cubic meters O2 tank plus the 3 kg acetylene tank?
I have those and I had the feeling that carting them around would be insane
as they are heavy enough.

-Regards,

Mongke

Glenn

To lock the chain on my tanks I use a cam type device with a spring in it.
They are comonly used to anchor the transom of a boat to a trailer. The
spring has a double U shaped wire inside to make and expansion sping out of
a compression spring so it locks solid. Same action as a chain binder for
log chain but much smaller and with the spring.