treebeard

Default Tig-brazing white alloy filler quest - will this work?

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...tm#Braze%20650

Filler Metal name: Braze 655
Typical Applications: For brazing Invar, Kovar and similar alloys to
copper in vacuum tubes; as jet engine rubbing seals.
Solidus: 1385'F/750'C
Liquidus: 1560'F/850'C
Max. Recom. Brazing Temp. 'F: 1700
Nominal Composition,%: 65Ag 28Cu 5Mn 2Ni
Joint Color as Brazed: White
Density Troy oz/cu in: 5.20
Electrical Characteristics

* Conduct. % IACS: 12.8
* Resistivity microhm-cm: 13.4

I know from reading Ernie's posts Silicon Bronze is recommended (not
the low fuming kind)

treebeard

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:47:44 -0400, treebeard
treebeardentmootatyahoodotcom wrote:

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...tm#Braze%20650

(tig-brazing stainless steel 316L , would the following filler work?)
(forgot to say what I would be brazing)

Filler Metal name: Braze 655
Typical Applications: For brazing Invar, Kovar and similar alloys to
copper in vacuum tubes; as jet engine rubbing seals.
Solidus: 1385'F/750'C
Liquidus: 1560'F/850'C
Max. Recom. Brazing Temp. 'F: 1700
Nominal Composition,%: 65Ag 28Cu 5Mn 2Ni
Joint Color as Brazed: White
Density Troy oz/cu in: 5.20
Electrical Characteristics

* Conduct. % IACS: 12.8
* Resistivity microhm-cm: 13.4

I know from reading Ernie's posts Silicon Bronze is recommended (not
the low fuming kind)

lionslair at consolidated dot net

treebeard wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:47:44 -0400, treebeard
treebeardentmootatyahoodotcom wrote:

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...tm#Braze%20650

(tig-brazing stainless steel 316L , would the following filler work?)
(forgot to say what I would be brazing)

Filler Metal name: Braze 655
Typical Applications: For brazing Invar, Kovar and similar alloys to
copper in vacuum tubes; as jet engine rubbing seals.
Solidus: 1385'F/750'C
Liquidus: 1560'F/850'C
Max. Recom. Brazing Temp. 'F: 1700
Nominal Composition,%: 65Ag 28Cu 5Mn 2Ni
Joint Color as Brazed: White
Density Troy oz/cu in: 5.20
Electrical Characteristics

* Conduct. % IACS: 12.8
* Resistivity microhm-cm: 13.4

I know from reading Ernie's posts Silicon Bronze is recommended (not
the low fuming kind)

Why not use 316L SS wire as filler ?

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ernie Leimkuhler

On 2005-06-05 17:47:44 -0700, treebeard treebeardentmootatyahoodotcom said:

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...tm#Braze%20650

Filler

Metal name: Braze 655
Typical Applications: For brazing Invar, Kovar and similar alloys to
copper in vacuum tubes; as jet engine rubbing seals.
Solidus: 1385'F/750'C
Liquidus: 1560'F/850'C
Max. Recom. Brazing Temp. 'F: 1700
Nominal Composition,%: 65Ag 28Cu 5Mn 2Ni
Joint Color as Brazed: White
Density Troy oz/cu in: 5.20
Electrical Characteristics

* Conduct. % IACS: 12.8
* Resistivity microhm-cm: 13.4

I know from reading Ernie's posts Silicon Bronze is recommended (not
the low fuming kind)

Interesting stuff.
Might be worth trying

treebeard

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:22:07 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

On 2005-06-05 17:47:44 -0700, treebeard treebeardentmootatyahoodotcom said:

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...tm#Braze%20650

Filler

Metal name: Braze 655
Typical Applications: For brazing Invar, Kovar and similar alloys to
copper in vacuum tubes; as jet engine rubbing seals.
Solidus: 1385'F/750'C
Liquidus: 1560'F/850'C
Max. Recom. Brazing Temp. 'F: 1700
Nominal Composition,%: 65Ag 28Cu 5Mn 2Ni
Joint Color as Brazed: White
Density Troy oz/cu in: 5.20
Electrical Characteristics

* Conduct. % IACS: 12.8
* Resistivity microhm-cm: 13.4

I know from reading Ernie's posts Silicon Bronze is recommended (not
the low fuming kind)

Interesting stuff.
Might be worth trying

Thanks for the feedback. If I learn to tig braze-weld and ever try
the braze 655, I'll post the results here. If I decide to learn tig
welding and braze-welding, it'll long after the summer is over. Good
wishes to all!

treebeard

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:20:41 -0500, "lionslair at consolidated dot
net" "lionslair at consolidated dot net" wrote:

treebeard wrote:

[...]

If you do a google group search on tig braze-welding, you'll find the
details. TIG-Braze Welding - Chapter 3 would be a good thing to
search for (sci.engr.joining.welding newsgroup), but there are a lot
of messages about tig braze-welding.

Using 316L ss wire as filler would be regular welding, and the base
metal would melt or be distorted.

Using the silicon bronze, which has a lower liquidus point, the base
316L ss would not be melted or heat distorted very much, depending on
the amount of heat applied. The result would be a "braze weld" or
whatever you want to call it - I don't want to get in semantics
argument.

316L physical properties:
Physical Data

Electrical Resistivity (microhm-cm (at 68 Deg F)) 444

Melting Point (Deg F) 2550

Modulus of Elasticity Tension 28

For what I plan to do, considering my non-skill level, brazing with
oxy-acet and the Meco torch and the appropriate filler is a probaly
the way for me to go, from what I've learned from the folks in this
newsgroup. But, tig has been mentioned as a good alternative
and....so I've been reading.

Tim Williams

"treebeard" treebeardentmootatyahoodotcom wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback. If I learn to tig braze-weld

Oh! I just remembered something I did a while ago. I needed to stick a
bunch of nickels (25% Ni, 75% Cu) together, with a similar metal. Not
brass. So I grabbed a length of copper wire and some gouging rods (for
carbon arc) and non-TIG-braze-welded them together. G Doesn't work that
bad, just needs some control over oxidation.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
wood filler question Bruce Woodworking 2 February 16th 04 02:05 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM
please explain this wiring - black, red, white, ground FN Home Repair 9 July 4th 03 03:46 PM