Default Tesla Turbine

yesterday I had some spare time:

piece of plywood
skateboard "truck" (axle, axle mount, bearings, wheel=hub)
7 Compact disks
10 bolts + nuts
16 washers

4 bolts +nuts for holding the truck to the plywood

stacked CD's, cut 4 holes on outer edge (for bolts, to hold CD's
together)
2 holes on inner edge (connection to hub)
5 CD's need their inner hold widened.

put it together. blew on it with the compressor.
approx 4000 RPM

Ok, it wobbles. badly.

today, I went ahead and remade the CD's,
drilling them closer to precise.

approx 8000 RPM

12V no load (with a 6volt motor)
6V with load, 2amps output.

So, I decided to add ONE nozzle:
1/8" inner diameter aluminum tubing
2X4 wood supports

approx 10,000 RPM
8volts, 2 amps loaded

measured with digital multimeter.

Rich

williamhenry

pictures?

Mike Fields

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

To quote Elmer Fudd -- "be vewy vewy careful" -- there have
been a number of reports of some of the CD's exploding in some
of the high speed CD drives and doing a fair amount of damage.
10,000 is starting to get up there. (of course they were saying the
Formula 1 cars are turning 18,000 on a V-10 engine -- that can
really come apart in a hurry !!

mikey

Tom Miller

"Mike Fields" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Didn't "Mythbusters", the TV program do a storey on exploding CD's?

Mike Fields

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

"Mike Fields" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don't remember that one, but there have been a number of people
in the cdr newsgroups who say they have had it happen to them.
Only happens in the high speed drives and if the disc has a crack
(even a small one) in it already. I have not seen it personally, but
there were a number that said it happened to them (as opposed to
"I have heard of it"). Apparently does a fairly good job of destroying
the drive when it happens ...

mikey

Dale Hallmark

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

"Mike Fields" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It happened to me. Sounded like a 22 pistol and I did have to replace
the drive. It was a German language tape :-) so the entire set is
worthless (or nearly so) without the first lesson.

Dale

If anyone reading wants pictures, send me an email....

aiiadict AT gmail DOT com

Rich

Tim Williams

"Mike Fields" wrote in message
To quote Elmer Fudd -- "be vewy vewy careful" -- there have
been a number of reports of some of the CD's exploding in some
of the high speed CD drives and doing a fair amount of damage.

Clean CDs are good up to 20-30k, IIRC. Simple job to seperate out the bad
ones - they explode. G

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Nick Müller

Dale Hallmark wrote:

so the entire set is worthless (or nearly so) without the first lesson.

I'm sorry! Here is the first lesson:
Bier; Guten Tag; Oktoberfest; Auf Wiedersehen; Wo ist mein Hotel?;
Schnaps; Danke; Bitte; Noch ein Bier;

That should be enough for 2 weeks. (not learning German, staying in
Germany)

Nick
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Dale Hallmark

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
Dale Hallmark wrote:

so the entire set is worthless (or nearly so) without the first lesson.

I'm sorry! Here is the first lesson:
Bier; Guten Tag; Oktoberfest; Auf Wiedersehen; Wo ist mein Hotel?;
Schnaps; Danke; Bitte; Noch ein Bier;

That should be enough for 2 weeks. (not learning German, staying in
Germany)

Nick
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Wie viele Quadrat-Stunden braucht es dann wohl, um ihn voll zu bekommen?

Thanks Nick but I already knew that much :-)

Ich kann zwar ein wenig auf Deutsch lesen, allerdings bin ich nicht in
der Lage Deutsch zu schreiben.

Später
Dale
PS it was a "CD" not "Tape" as I miswrote.

Nick Müller

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall(at)cableone.net wrote:

Ich kann zwar ein wenig auf Deutsch lesen, allerdings bin ich nicht in
der Lage Deutsch zu schreiben.

[translation: I can read a bit German, but I'm not able to write in
German]

This is either the "Big Hallmark Swindle", or this is the only sentence
you have perfectly learned (- swindle - recursion).

Nick
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Wie viele Quadrat-Stunden braucht es dann wohl, um ihn voll zu bekommen?

Nick Müller

Gunner wrote:

Pics!!

AOL! [BTW: The AOL-CD-Tesla Turbine, how about that?]
Can someone drop them in the ummm... dropbox, please.

Nick

--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Wie viele Quadrat-Stunden braucht es dann wohl, um ihn voll zu bekommen?

done.

I've seen reference to the "drop box" and didn't
know what it was. Thanks for the link, Artemia.

Rich

Dale Hallmark

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall(at)cableone.net wrote:

Ich kann zwar ein wenig auf Deutsch lesen, allerdings bin ich nicht in
der Lage Deutsch zu schreiben.

[translation: I can read a bit German, but I'm not able to write in
German]

This is either the "Big Hallmark Swindle", or this is the only sentence
you have perfectly learned (- swindle - recursion).
Nick

I collect Austrian coins tokens and medals and have needed to learn a little
mostly in that context and a little for communication purposes.

It is one of a few sentences that I know how to put together properly.
I know lots of words but German sentence structure is tough.
Actually English is pretty tough for this old Texan too :-)

I would love to know a lot more but I am pretty lazy and most Germans and Austrians
I have met electronically have excellent English skills and many times a couple
other languages too.
Makes me a little lacking by comparisson.

Dale
Ich weiß nichts davon.

Lange nicht gut genug.

Nick Müller

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall(at)cableone.net wrote:

I would love to know a lot more but I am pretty lazy and most Germans and
Austrians I have met electronically have excellent English skills and many
times a couple other languages too.

This is the mysterious drawback of your language.

Nick

--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Wie viele Quadrat-Stunden braucht es dann wohl, um ihn voll zu bekommen?

Dale Hallmark

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall(at)cableone.net wrote:

I would love to know a lot more but I am pretty lazy and most Germans and
Austrians I have met electronically have excellent English skills and many
times a couple other languages too.

This is the mysterious drawback of your language.

Nick

It is the draw back of being American ;-)

Dale

Germany actually *teaches* their children
in public schools...

they learn german, english, and a TRADE.

So, when germans get out of public school,
they have SKILLS....

The goal of their education system is PLACEMENT
in a job. You apprentice at a workplace while
in school.

USA's education system profits $$ from their
system, but MUCH LESS than german system.

USA makes money from teachers, administrators
salaries. Everyone in the system gets a chunk
in their pockets....

Germany teaches the young. These people
then go out and are PRODUCTIVE in their
workplace. They profit orders of magnitude
greater than we do, because education = money.

We just take the money and put it in our
pockets, and our society does not advance.

That is our culture. We see $$ signs, not
long term gain. If we can take the money
right now, screw the kids and their
futures, and we get rich NOW.

Rich

DeepDiver

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

It happened to me. Sounded like a 22 pistol and I did have to
replace the drive. It was a German language tape :-) so the
entire set is worthless (or nearly so) without the first lesson.

The first thing I do when I buy new software is duplicate the CDs onto CD-R
blanks. Then I label them using a "Sharpie" Ultra Fine Point permanent felt
marker which writes with a very fine line. (Never try to use a ball point,
or anything other than a felt tip pen!) If the software requires a serial
number or registration code, I also write that on the CD copy *and* on the
original "master" CD (that way you can still install the software if you
lose the original CD case or sleeve that has the code).

The originals are never used again: they are kept for archival (back-up)
purposes; I install and work from the CD-R copies. Considering how cheap
CD-R discs are (and the CD-RW drives), it is very cheap insurance against
breakage, scratches, warping, delamination, etc.

I've never lost the use of any software using this methodology.

Note: When you buy software, you are not buying the CD, you are buying a
license to install and use the software. If you damage a CD, you should be
able to send it back to the publisher and get a replacement for a nominal
fee. Technically, the same is true if you lose the original CD, although you
have to prove that you legally purchased a license for that software, which
is a little more involved than simply sending back a damaged original disc.
Nevertheless, getting a replacement disc involves some time, money, and
hassle. Much cheaper and easier to simply copy all your CDs from the start.

- Michael

Nick Müller

So, when germans get out of public school, they have SKILLS....

I wouldn't sign this (and the rest of what you said concerning Germany).
And no, I won't continue this diskussion here or elsewhere. If you want
I cant help you finding an NG (german speeking, but I bet they will
conversate in English with you. - eMail me).

This ain't the right group for that discussion.

Nick
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Wie viele Quadrat-Stunden braucht es dann wohl, um ihn voll zu bekommen?

hard drive discs are metal, and very
sturdy. They are also aligned perfectly
on their shaft, and the bearings are meant
to spin very quickly.

I just took turbine #3 (a hard drive) and
put a round case around the discs.
Huge increase in RPM.

Rich

Or am I stupid?

:-) I don't know enough about you to make that judgement,
but I sent the attachment to the dropbox as a ZIP, and
a human had to unzip them and check them for viruses
before they were made available.

Rich

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Cydrome Leader wrote
back on Tue, 31 May 2005 22:44:08 +0000 (UTC) in rec.crafts.metalworking :

USA makes money from teachers, administrators
salaries. Everyone in the system gets a chunk
in their pockets....

Germany teaches the young. These people
then go out and are PRODUCTIVE in their
workplace. They profit orders of magnitude
greater than we do, because education = money.

Uh, germany has one of the highest unployments rates of any developed nation.

But that is not, per se, a result of the education establishment. Save
that the students were taught that Bismarckian social welfare is the best
way to run a country. One can argue (and better economist than I do) that
the 12% German unemployment rate is a result of the expense of carrying and
paying for the social programs.
So the students graduate with a skill set, but they are also graduated
into a socio-economic classification. They've skills, just no jobs. And I
seem to remember that there wasn't the concept of "go back to school and
learn a new 'trade' or profession. (I may be wrong on that, it's been near
thirty years since I lived there, and my German wasn't all that good in
those days.)

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

The CD's held together fine with no
case around the turbine and using
compressor air nozzle instead
of a nozzle on the turbine.

I put the case on, and got a few
thousand extra RPM.

I put a cheap and quick nozzle
on the turbine, and the CD's flew
apart.

Lucky for me, I had the case
on it, so they just bounced off
the case and fell on the ground.

Rich

Cydrome Leader

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Let the record show that Cydrome Leader wrote
back on Tue, 31 May 2005 22:44:08 +0000 (UTC) in rec.crafts.metalworking :

USA makes money from teachers, administrators
salaries. Everyone in the system gets a chunk
in their pockets....

Germany teaches the young. These people
then go out and are PRODUCTIVE in their
workplace. They profit orders of magnitude
greater than we do, because education = money.

Uh, germany has one of the highest unployments rates of any developed nation.

But that is not, per se, a result of the education establishment. Save
that the students were taught that Bismarckian social welfare is the best
way to run a country. One can argue (and better economist than I do) that
the 12% German unemployment rate is a result of the expense of carrying and
paying for the social programs.

I'm waiting for the day the last person in Europe with a job gets sick of paying for everybody else and quits.

So the students graduate with a skill set, but they are also graduated
into a socio-economic classification. They've skills, just no jobs. And I
seem to remember that there wasn't the concept of "go back to school and
learn a new 'trade' or profession. (I may be wrong on that, it's been near
thirty years since I lived there, and my German wasn't all that good in
those days.)

tschus
pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Cydrome Leader wrote
back on Sat, 4 Jun 2005 08:30:04 +0000 (UTC) in rec.crafts.metalworking :
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

"Wer ist Johan Galt?"

"Qui est Jacques Galt?"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Nick Müller

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Grüße herrlichen, weiß Himmel, daß eins von ihm Winkel fehlt ist?"

The only thing you'll get with this sentence are either rising eye
browns or a grin.
It doesn't make sense, I'm sorry. :-)

Did you babelfish it?
Do you know that software called "babelizer" that translates some text
back and forth between two languages (using babelfish) until it no
longer changes. The outcome is quite funny!
For your amusement click: http://www.tashian.com/multibabel/

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

tesla turbine questions Haaken Hveem Metalworking 27 March 5th 05 02:32 AM
HF turbine HVLP $30 !! AL Woodworking 0 February 11th 05 08:19 AM
leak from turbine ventilator Bill Athanasopoulos Home Repair 14 December 6th 04 01:29 PM
New turbine HVLP at HF for $50 ! AL Woodworking 13 November 1st 04 01:37 PM
Which HVLP Turbine Systems? MN Guy Woodworking 8 October 20th 04 01:16 AM