AL

Default New turbine HVLP at HF for $50 !

The HF catalog I got in the mail today had a bunch of new items. One of
them was a turbine powered HVLP (ie. gun + air supply) for the regular price
of $50. I can't wait for this to go on sale!

Patrick Fitzgerald

If anyone has purchased this item and could post a review I would
appreciate it.
--
Patrick Fitzgerald -- http://www.barelyfitz.com/wood

GerryG

I suspect that one is similar to (and looks like) the units that sold for
about 200 a few years ago. I've used that to spray oil paint, and latex with a
flow additive, and it did a very nice job. It handled shellac and some light
finishes. The results with water base finishes were not very good, and no
amount of additives would help. The volume of air from the turbine made it
unusable for small projects, unless they were really locked down. That also
made it very hard to finish projects that had interior areas. Others may
report better results, but remember, there is a reason why they sell more
expensive two and three stages turbine HVLP sprayers.

I later moved to a compressor and a spray gun from Homestead. It overcame all
of the above issues and is so much more flexible that I haven't used that
turbine unit in several years.
GerryG

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:39:37 GMT, "AL" wrote:

The HF catalog I got in the mail today had a bunch of new items. One of
them was a turbine powered HVLP (ie. gun + air supply) for the regular price
of $50. I can't wait for this to go on sale!

Patrick Fitzgerald

GerryG, thanks for the input.

How big of a compressor do you need to run an HVLP spray gun?

I have a small compressor from HF (CFM: 3.8 @ 90 PSI, 4.5 @ 70 PSI, 5.0
@ 40 PSI) as shown he

http://tinyurl.com/6al52

Would that be capable (for small furniture jobs) and would I need any
other accessories like a regulator?
Thanks,
--
Patrick Fitzgerald - http://www.barelyfitz.com/wood

On 23 Sep 2004 08:05:58 -0700, "Patrick Fitzgerald"
wrote:

GerryG, thanks for the input.

How big of a compressor do you need to run an HVLP spray gun?

I have a small compressor from HF (CFM: 3.8 @ 90 PSI, 4.5 @ 70 PSI, 5.0
@ 40 PSI) as shown he

http://tinyurl.com/6al52

Would that be capable (for small furniture jobs) and would I need any
other accessories like a regulator?
Thanks,

that compressor will run a small airgun like
but it will have a hard time keeping up. for small projects where you
aren't needing to lay even coats over large areas it should do fine.

MikeG

In article . com,
says...
GerryG, thanks for the input.

How big of a compressor do you need to run an HVLP spray gun?

I have a small compressor from HF (CFM: 3.8 @ 90 PSI, 4.5 @ 70 PSI, 5.0
@ 40 PSI) as shown he

http://tinyurl.com/6al52

Would that be capable (for small furniture jobs) and would I need any
other accessories like a regulator?
Thanks,

They are called conversion guns and it usually takes a real healthy
compressor to run one efficiently.

Think three horse two stage putting out ten to twelve CFM at ninety PSI.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

GerryG

How big a compressor do you need? The answer is the question: how big is the
gun?

From your cfm ratings at 90 and 40, together with the tank size, you can look
for what's available. What you actually need to do something is a matter of
opinion, both of who you speak with, and your own impression of the quality
and ease you're looking for. For that reason, anybody who points you to a
particular spray gun without knowing what you want from it is just taking a
potshot. What I'm shooting for here is a quality gun that'll fit your
compressor and handle small furniture.

You didn't say the tank size for the compressor, but I'd say a quality
touch-up HVLP gun will need just under 5cfm @40psi and will handle small
furniture jobs. Caveat: If your tank is small, it will be cycling quite a bit.
While there are other equivalent guns available, the one I use for small
furniture is a Walcom STM HVLP. It atomizes well enough that I can spray
shellac at 12-18psi, and water base poly at 18-36.

There are cheaper guns available (and more expensive ones), but this is a
versatile middle ground. This one does come with a regulator.

If you're also going to spray dye or any colors, I'd suggest also picking up a
Harbour Freight 20-40 touch up gun, and leave your good one for clear finish
only.

GerryG

wrote:

GerryG, thanks for the input.

How big of a compressor do you need to run an HVLP spray gun?

I have a small compressor from HF (CFM: 3.8 @ 90 PSI, 4.5 @ 70 PSI, 5.0
@ 40 PSI) as shown he

http://tinyurl.com/6al52

Would that be capable (for small furniture jobs) and would I need any
other accessories like a regulator?
Thanks,

Patrick Fitzgerald

The HF catalog I got in the mail today had a bunch of new items. One
of
them was a turbine powered HVLP (ie. gun + air supply) for the

regular price
of $50. I can't wait for this to go on sale!

I bought this item online - not bad for $50, but I haven't used it
enough to write a real review, nor am I knowlegeable enough for the
same.

I was at HF this weekend and saw their day-after-thanksgiving sale and
notice that this unit will be on sale for $29.
--
Patrick Fitzgerald barelyfitz.com/wood

Princess Auto HVLP Turbine Tony Mo Woodworking 2 September 7th 04 11:14 AM
HVLP spray guns Siggy Metalworking 7 September 2nd 04 03:42 PM
HVLP Sprayer?? Ron A Woodworking 1 December 31st 03 09:02 AM