Bill Athanasopoulos

Default leak from turbine ventilator

I have a turbine type ventilator installed on the roof. It was installed
several years ago to improve a humidity problem which has since been
resolved.

Within the past year we have noticed a slight leak in the kitchen pantry
exactly beneath the ventilator. Water is evident only a few time a year and
I cannot determine where it is coming from. I inspected the ventilator but
did not see any obvious cracks in the base. I applied tar around the base
in case there was a crack in the roof near the base, but the problem has not
been solved.

The problem appears only certain times like after a heavy rainfall or snow,
but it is not always consistent.
Any ideas?

Joe Bobst

but the problem has not been solved

One of the best arguments of all for using soffit and peak vents. You may want
to investigate that possibility. HTH

Joe

Joseph Meehan

Bill Athanasopoulos wrote:
I have a turbine type ventilator installed on the roof. It was
installed several years ago to improve a humidity problem which has
since been resolved.

Within the past year we have noticed a slight leak in the kitchen
pantry exactly beneath the ventilator. Water is evident only a few
time a year and I cannot determine where it is coming from. I
inspected the ventilator but did not see any obvious cracks in the
base. I applied tar around the base in case there was a crack in the
roof near the base, but the problem has not been solved.

The problem appears only certain times like after a heavy rainfall or
snow, but it is not always consistent.
Any ideas?

I suggest getting rid of that thing when you can. Until then they make
covers for them or you can try some heavy duty plastic very well secured.

Proper passive venting is a much better solution in almost all
situations.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Zypher wrote:
Some folks wrap a trash bag around the ventilator to do two things.
Stop the heat from leaving the attic in the winter,

Which in the snow belt, is exactly the wrong thing to do. Yea, I know
they do it, but you really want that area under the roof to be the same
temperature, or close to it, as outside. In areas with no snow or ice
accumulation, then OK as long as there is adequate ventilation without it.

and stop sideways
rain from entering.

I have a turbine type ventilator installed on the roof. It was
installed several years ago to improve a humidity problem which has
since been resolved.

Within the past year we have noticed a slight leak in the kitchen
pantry exactly beneath the ventilator. Water is evident only a few
time a year and I cannot determine where it is coming from. I
inspected the ventilator but did not see any obvious cracks in the
base. I applied tar around the base in case there was a crack in
the roof near the base, but the problem has not been solved.

The problem appears only certain times like after a heavy rainfall
or snow, but it is not always consistent.
Any ideas?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Michael Baugh

Some idiots have turbine type ventilators, and put a garbage bag
over them in the winter. This is to cause water vapor carried with
the heat to condense in the attic, and to encourage ice dams, and
to stop windblown rain from entering, since it would be stopped
by a ridge vent.

Zypher wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

TURTLE

"Zypher" wrote in message
ink.net...
Some folks wrap a trash bag around the ventilator to do two things. Stop
the heat from leaving the attic in the winter, and stop sideways rain from
entering.

--
Zyp

This is Turtle

Zef , we do this in the south with the plastic bag because we don't have snow
and no moisture problem with ice damns or ice on the roof. You can get away with
it in the south but where you have snow and ice weather, you can't do it.

TURTLE

bill a

the leakage probably occurs when you have precipitation without any wind to
spin the turbine.
the water can easily splash past the fins, then. I had the same problem
and cured it
by simply attaching a round piece of galv to the top of the bearing frame
(slightly more dia than the turbine).
If you had a tinner make a shallow cone, it could maybe have a presentable
appearance. In my case
the unit isn't visible at all from the ground, so I used a flat piece of
tin. In 5 years since, no leaks.
If you have a tinner involved, another alternative would be to make a cone
shape with a bug screen
and a mounting ring, and replace the turbine altogether, and reuse the 12"
dia base.
hth
bill

[...]

bill a

In the past, I've read that they are mostly a gimmick.
I think that a similar "stovepipe" type of structure with
a weather cap would do just as well. Some vertical
height would seemingly let it draw like a flue, as
opposed to the low profile static vents they sell at HD.
I haven't seen any recent tech info on this, though.
Bill

"Zypher" wrote in message
link.net...
I've always wondered if those 'turbine ventilators' really work? Do they
really move that much more from the attic space than say a dormer might?

During a reroof we had a turbine put in the garage roof where the temp
has been 10° above temp on patio. Now garage is 10° LOWER than patio.
Southern Calif coast environment. Been better than 10 years and going
strong when garage gets hot. No maintenance and no squeals.

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 06:12:45 GMT, "Zypher" wrote:

I've always wondered if those 'turbine ventilators' really work? Do they
really move that much more from the attic space than say a dormer might?

John Willis

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:07:13 GMT, "bill a"
scribbled this interesting note:

"Zypher" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've always wondered if those 'turbine ventilators' really work? Do they
really move that much more from the attic space than say a dormer might?

In the past, I've read that they are mostly a gimmick.
I think that a similar "stovepipe" type of structure with
a weather cap would do just as well. Some vertical
height would seemingly let it draw like a flue, as
opposed to the low profile static vents they sell at HD.
I haven't seen any recent tech info on this, though.
Bill

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...fattfan3b.shtm

is one place with some information about this. Here is an excerpt from
another site:
http://www.homeimprover.com/articles...entilation.htm
"Turbine ventilators are wind-driven devices which are designed in
such a manner that wind from any direction causes the upper portion of
the ventilator to rotate. As the turbine rotates, or spins, a reduced
air pressure in the stack draws hot or humid air from the attic
space."
This last piece seems to explain it better than most any other source.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

When they installed our turbine in the garage roof there was a
DISTINCT upward movement of air when the hole was cut and wood
removed. Hot air rises by convection and my understanding is THIS is
the driving function behind the rotation of the turbine. Ours rotates
without exterior breeze.

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:37:42 -0600, John Willis
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:07:13 GMT, "bill a"
scribbled this interesting note:

"Zypher" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

Zypher

I have a small garage, 22 x 45 - and in the summer, some ventilation
would be helpful. Maybe I should try a couple of turbine ventilators and
some ventilation screens to relieve the air.... but then, I've been wanting
to install solar photophelatic cells on the back side......

thanks for the thoughts.

--
Zyp
wrote in message
During a reroof we had a turbine put in the garage roof where the temp
has been 10° above temp on patio. Now garage is 10° LOWER than patio.
Southern Calif coast environment. Been better than 10 years and going
strong when garage gets hot. No maintenance and no squeals.

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 06:12:45 GMT, "Zypher" wrote:

I've always wondered if those 'turbine ventilators' really work? Do they
really move that much more from the attic space than say a dormer might?

MUADIB®

When they installed our turbine in the garage roof there was a
DISTINCT upward movement of air when the hole was cut and wood
removed. Hot air rises by convection and my understanding is THIS is
the driving function behind the rotation of the turbine. Ours rotates
without exterior breeze.

would that be wind from "any direction"?

convection air will create a breeze, wind will do the same, the
turbine turns, draws/expells air form the attic............I have been
in many attics in my lifetime, ones with some sort of ventilation
other than static have always been cooler...............power vents
seem best, but pull electicity, so are not optimal for energy
conservation in my opinion., but the turbines seem to do a fair job of
cooling an attic, whether it gets rid of all moisture or not,
...........well,...........use you imagination.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

As the turbine is symetric with same contours around the circumfrence
the direction of the source of the wind wouldn't seem to be relevant
to me.

water leak - which way? mich UK diy 2 September 3rd 04 06:24 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 10:47 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM