Tiziano

Default Anything Stronger Than Loctite 271 Threadlocker?

I need to permanently bond together threaded male and female 316 SS rods. I
use Loctite 271 Threadlocker to do it but, for complicated reasons, it is
not working out very well. Do you know of any other product that offers a
stronger bond?
(welding or staking of the rods are not options...)
Thanks.
----
Tiziano

Bernard R

Tiziano wrote:
I need to permanently bond together threaded male and female 316 SS rods. I
use Loctite 271 Threadlocker to do it but, for complicated reasons, it is
not working out very well. Do you know of any other product that offers a
stronger bond?
(welding or staking of the rods are not options...)
Thanks.
----
Tiziano

If you go to the Loctite site and look up the technical specifications
of 271 it shows that stainless only achieves approx 25% of the strength
of a steel bond. 277 gets to 50% but the bond is improved by the use of
different activators. Send them an email they're the experts.

Bernard R
tomcas

Tiziano wrote:
I need to permanently bond together threaded male and female 316 SS rods. I
use Loctite 271 Threadlocker to do it but, for complicated reasons, it is
not working out very well. Do you know of any other product that offers a
stronger bond?
(welding or staking of the rods are not options...)
Thanks.
----
Tiziano

Stainless steel is one of the least effected metals when bonded with
anaerobic adhesives because the surface is very passive. To get any kind
of high strength you must use primer. The problem is if you prime both
parts and try to wick in 290 it may set up before completely wicking in.
If you use a strong thick loctite like 272, 277 or 620 you may not even
get the parts together before it starts to set. Depending on the size of
your parts, how they are being assembled, and how they are being used,
will determine the best application method. Bottom line- you must
experiment.
DanG

Have you tried cleaning both pieces with acetone or some such and
just forcing them tight? My experience with stainless fasteners
is that they gall together so tight you will break the bolts
before budging the nut. My experiences were with 5/8 diameter
bots and nuts, got to where we dreaded having to change anything.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Tiziano" wrote in message
I need to permanently bond together threaded male and female 316
SS rods. I
use Loctite 271 Threadlocker to do it but, for complicated
reasons, it is
not working out very well. Do you know of any other product
that offers a
stronger bond?
(welding or staking of the rods are not options...)
Thanks.
----
Tiziano

Diamond Jim

"DanG" wrote in message
Have you tried cleaning both pieces with acetone or some such and
just forcing them tight? My experience with stainless fasteners
is that they gall together so tight you will break the bolts
before budging the nut. My experiences were with 5/8 diameter
bots and nuts, got to where we dreaded having to change anything.

Yeah I was gonna say that I don't have any problems getting Stainless to
gall together so tight you don't need locktight.

Pete Keillor

On Sun, 22 May 2005 08:52:15 GMT, "Diamond Jim"
wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message
Have you tried cleaning both pieces with acetone or some such and
just forcing them tight? My experience with stainless fasteners
is that they gall together so tight you will break the bolts
before budging the nut. My experiences were with 5/8 diameter
bots and nuts, got to where we dreaded having to change anything.

Yeah I was gonna say that I don't have any problems getting Stainless to
gall together so tight you don't need locktight.

Yep, same here. Just screw 'em together dry.

Pete Keillor
Eric R Snow

On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:45:19 -0500, "Tiziano"
wrote:

I need to permanently bond together threaded male and female 316 SS rods. I
use Loctite 271 Threadlocker to do it but, for complicated reasons, it is
not working out very well. Do you know of any other product that offers a
stronger bond?
(welding or staking of the rods are not options...)
Thanks.
----
Tiziano

Greetings Tizano,
I recently had a threaded joint fail using loctite 271. This was the
first time it had happened to me. Since time was of the essence and I
was the engineer of this project I re-threaded the shaft and the
extension with left hand threads since the rotation of the system
would tighten left-hand threads. If you can go this route it may be
just the type of fix you need. There is also an adhesive called
ROCKSETT. I've never used it but have been told by folks who have that
it works very well. Just use Google to find a seller.
ERS