RogerN

Default OT- A-hole supervisor

In the plant where I work, when a machine goes down, production logs the job
into the computer system. The maintenance supervisor sets up maintenance
workers for the job and they go work on the machine. There is one
supervisor that will let the job set for an hour or more and then set
someone up for the job and page them 5 minutes before break time. Employees
have seen him set in the office doing nothing, then noticing it's almost
break time and scrambling to send people to jobs. This supervisor gets a
kick out of trying to make employees miss their breaks and will hammer some
people with jobs while he lets others set around.

There is evidence, the time a job is logged into the system is recorded and
the time the employee is set up for the job is also recorded. For example,
the job might be logged in at 3:30 but no one set up for the job until 4:55
(5 minutes before break time).

I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what to do about this A-hole
supervisor? If what he is doing is not against fair labor laws or anything
like that, how about some creative retaliation ideas! I was thinking since
he gets his thrills by picking on people, perhaps he should be the victim of
a few practicle jokes. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tom Gardner

As a last resort, do the right thing. Document the problem, and not just a
bitch sheet, but show the impact to company profits would be improved by a
better scheduling system, give him a copy with the explanation that if
things don't improve the document goes upstairs. Happy employees = better
profits, the big guys know that.

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Christopher Tidy

RogerN wrote:
[...]

A friend's brother had a supervisor like this. When he went on holiday,
they got into his office a couple of days before he returned with a few
tools. They unscrewed the network and telephone sockets and packed the
metal mounting boxes with fresh prawns. It took him a week or two to
figure out what was causing the smell, by which time his office was
unbearable.

I tried a variation of this prank on a flatmate who cooked with garlic
every night. Well he loved garlic and the rest of us hated it, and his
cooking made the flat stink. He wouldn't shut the kitchen door because
then the smell was too intense even for him. So we bought some cloves of
fresh garlic, dismantled his frosted glass light fittings and taped the
garlic cloves around the light bulbs. They slowly cooked and released
the odour, and the funniest thing was that he was embarrassed because he
thought the smell was coming from his body. After a week the smell was
so strong that it made our eyes water going into his room, so we removed
the cloves before he figured it out. We didn't tell him the truth until
after we'd left the flat.

Chris

SteveB

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Anonymous notes in the suggestion box? Anonymous letters to management?
Allowing time to pass, and incidents to pile up, and when asked about what
happened, outline the lag time in his management style.

Don't worry. Usually morons like this get promoted, and are gone soon. One
way or the other.

Then, there's always practical jokes..................

Steve

Greg O

"SteveB" wrote in message

Don't worry. Usually morons like this get promoted, and are gone soon.
One way or the other.

Yup! The VP of the company I work for was a pain. He would come on a
construction site, yell, jump up and down, and scream at everybody there,
then leave. He finally quit. He has not been replaced, as the owner of the
company was trying to figure out what he was doing there anyway as he seemed
to get very little work done! We all got raises in pay, the leftovers of his
pay check that was not being used anymore.
If you asked me a year ago if I was going to stay with the company I would
have said probably not. After this all blew over it has been a pleasure to
work at this place! I had to take on a little more responsibility, but at
least the micro managing is gone. No more screaming, and a $2 raise to boot!
Greg

SteveB

"Christopher Tidy" wrote

A friend's brother had a supervisor like this. When he went on holiday,
they got into his office a couple of days before he returned with a few
tools. They unscrewed the network and telephone sockets and packed the
metal mounting boxes with fresh prawns. It took him a week or two to
figure out what was causing the smell, by which time his office was
unbearable.

My friend was shafted by a mechanic shop. They wouldn't rectify the
situation on a motor rebuild that was a rebuild job from hell.

He bought 20# of raw bait shrimp, which is old and low grade and already
smelly. He blenderized them all, and put the slurry in a barrel with water
for a couple of days. He backed up to the shop one Saturday night, and ran
the hose inside. It went all over the floor, and a good bit flowed into the
work pit. The weather was hot, so they didn't pop the doors until Monday
morning. The business was closed for two weeks for cleanup. It still
smells in there a year and a half later, as the locals will attest. He left
an anonymous phone message that said, "Your work stinks, too."

Paybacks are a bitch, and they are so easy.

Rotting shrimp is about the worst smelling thing there is.

STeve

Tom Gardner

"SteveB" wrote in message news:Wcpje.5365
Rotting shrimp is about the worst smelling thing there is.

STeve

A slurry of milk and lettuce will smell worse than rotting flesh.

RogerN

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
As a last resort, do the right thing. Document the problem, and not just

bitch sheet, but show the impact to company profits would be improved by a
better scheduling system, give him a copy with the explanation that if
things don't improve the document goes upstairs. Happy employees = better
profits, the big guys know that.

You are absolutely right! The result of him messing with people is that
they slow down on jobs. Another result is that they bid off his shift as
soon as they get enough seniority for something better. There are 2 weekend
shifts and 3 Monday - Friday shifts, and 3 areas of the plant for each
shift. This supervisor has a M-F 3pm - 11pm shift and has the lowest
seniority of the M-F shifts. It takes less seniority to get on this
A-hole's shift than it does to get weekend shift at the other areas of the
plant.

The employees work harder and better for the supervisors that treat them
right, too bad some of our supervisors don't figure this out. On the other
side, I realize there are employees that won't work unless they are made to.

JohnM

Tom Gardner wrote:
As a last resort, do the right thing. Document the problem, and not just a
bitch sheet, but show the impact to company profits would be improved by a
better scheduling system, give him a copy with the explanation that if
things don't improve the document goes upstairs. Happy employees = better
profits, the big guys know that.

That's good advice, and you might also make the point to the production
supervisor of the reason he's not getting his stuff worked on..

But.. in my experience, you might as well go get a different job. I've
worked in places with fools like this and it seems to come down to the
fact that the guy above him (and two levels above you) feels that he'll
be doing what you tell him to if he does anything about the problem,
*and*, if he solves the problem in the way you wish then he's afraid
someone above him might notice- and that would mean that your boss's
boss hasn't been doing his job (which he hasn't), and it goes on up the
line. In the end, it's easier to get rid of you 'cause you're the
problem that's easiest solved.

John

I've been the easiest problem to solve more than once..
carl mciver

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

| In the plant where I work, when a machine goes down, production logs the
job
| into the computer system. The maintenance supervisor sets up maintenance
| workers for the job and they go work on the machine. There is one
| supervisor that will let the job set for an hour or more and then set
| someone up for the job and page them 5 minutes before break time.
Employees
| have seen him set in the office doing nothing, then noticing it's almost
| break time and scrambling to send people to jobs. This supervisor gets a
| kick out of trying to make employees miss their breaks and will hammer
some
| people with jobs while he lets others set around.
|
| There is evidence, the time a job is logged into the system is recorded
and
| the time the employee is set up for the job is also recorded. For
example,
| the job might be logged in at 3:30 but no one set up for the job until
4:55
| (5 minutes before break time).
|
| I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what to do about this A-hole
| supervisor? If what he is doing is not against fair labor laws or
anything
| like that, how about some creative retaliation ideas! I was thinking
since
| he gets his thrills by picking on people, perhaps he should be the victim
of
| a few practical jokes. Any ideas?
|
| Thanks!

I've had similar bosses (we could jaw awhile talking about this guy!)
who would do similar, and worse, things, and eventually we nailed him for
theft. Story coming...
Anyway, start asking around about how set in stone the break times are.
If they aren't, perhaps it would be worth discretely making arrangements to
rearrange your break times to be in a spot and time visible to upper
management, and then no one must gripe, by any means, when the task is
assigned as expected. If that doesn't work, take your break afterwards, but
take it in a spot where everyone can see you taking a break. Helps to look
as if you're really f'ing off, too. One guy I knew would park his truck
where
everyone that drove in the plant would see it, so they were always after him
because he'd be napping on his tailgate during his irregularly scheduled
breaks. Of course, he made damn sure his break times were precisely taken!
Story about my boss: This guy, Mike, was the electrical maintenance
foreman at a beef processing plant, and had been there a long time and had
everyone in a pinch because he'd hoard the manuals and such in his desk,
locked away, and got his power from that. Major control freak, and a
Convenient Christian to define the very meaning of it. When I was under his
thumb and not sitting easy there, the entire plant knew it. I was the
electrician that everyone knew would hop right to solve their problem, and
made good friends with most of the production workers. I had learned the
machines well enough I didn't need the manuals so much, which drove him
nuts. For years folks had suspected him of stealing from the company, but
no one could prove it. It was common for us to cut up scrap aluminum
conduit and box it up for him, so we knew he was making some money on the
side with it. One time he bought a bunch of stuff with an order for a task
that was clearly not for that task. One Saturday I noticed some of that
stuff, plus some other items, including a large rheostat, in a box and I
recall him making a comment about how it would work well for dimming the
lights around his pool. I got a couple other folks, including the security
guard who could barely spell her own name, and from various vantage points
around the plant we watched him load the box in his car and drive home for
the weekend. Using a copy of the purchase order, I wrote the report up for
the guard, and come Monday _everyone_ knew I was part of it because nobody
else in the plant knew how to spell "rheostat," much less what it was. Mike
sat in his chair all day fuming, but being very quiet, when I came in Monday
afternoon. I had given my two week notice earlier (before the theft) so
come Tuesday afternoon they told me I should go ahead and leave. Didn't
bother me a bit. Later I found out that the report went up and when it came
down it had been whitewashed to state "angle iron" but he still lost his
purchase order numbers, although the HR gal I spoke to had a copy of the
original. A few months later he was gone. The morale of the story: Never
**** with smart people!
Guys like your supervisor think that everyone else around them thinks
the same way they do. They think they're addressing some grievance by doing
what they do, even if it isn't your fault. If he thinks he's getting
screwed one way or the other, try to find out what it is. Let the word out
when you know. Let him trip himself up and be there, ready, when it
happens. Make sure you, and everyone else, give him plenty of rope, so that
he can hang himself with little or no help. You have to be patient, but
ready to jump when the time is right.

Jim Stewart

RogerN wrote:
[...]

Document in exquisite detail 3 or 4 incidences
and send them to HR with a letter stating that
you're concerned that he's contributing to a
hostile workplace environment.

"Hostile workplace" is an HR hot button.

SteveB

"JohnM" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Or, you can just adjust the philosophy:

" How many people and how long does it take to change a light bulb?"

"Who gives a rat's patooey. You got a problem with that?"

Always remember on such a job. You are hourly, and will stay there.
Efficiency doesn't count for squat.

Steve

Wayne Lundberg

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Whistleblowers will always get the shaft where it hurts the most. If you
raise any issues by going over this AH you will be the fall guy. Management
is a religious thing where they all wear the frock and cover each other all
the time.

Get somebody outside of the organization to start a campaign of customer
complaints with specific details regarding the area of responsibility of
this jerk. Like if you are making go-carts, and your AH is in the steering
link department... it would be a no brainier to flood the company's internet
site with complaints about lousy steering links.

So, who is your employer and how can I start the campaign?

Wayne
www.pueblaprotocol.com fed up with incompetent management to the level of
being a true rebel. And hate the unions as much as management!

jim rozen

In article , Wayne
Lundberg says...

Whistleblowers will always get the shaft where it hurts the most. If you
raise any issues by going over this AH you will be the fall guy.

I wasn't going to say this but I think it's true. Whenever there
is any substantial disagreement with supervisors like that over
a non-technical issue then in the end the supervisor will win
the battle. God forbid the employee should actually *prevail*
over the supervisor because then the he (the supervisor) will
never ever forget that guy as 'the one who won the battle against
me' and the working relationship is just doomed.

In the few times I've found myself in that situation I've had
a frank discussion with the immediate boss and said 'is there
any way we can work this though' and if it keeps on happening
or there is still friction I thank them for allowing me to
work there, say I've had a great time, but now I have to depart
to do something else, someplace else.

Jim

please reply to:
Lane

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
As a last resort, do the right thing. Document the problem, and not just
a bitch sheet, but show the impact to company profits would be improved by
a better scheduling system, give him a copy with the explanation that if
things don't improve the document goes upstairs. Happy employees = better
profits, the big guys know that.

I disagree. You should say that the "big guys should know that". I've worked
for organizations where the big guys don't. At those places they don't want
anyone to step on anyone's toes or else you're the one to get their
disciplinary actions. Sad but true.

Lane

Robin S.

"SteveB" wrote in message

Always remember on such a job. You are hourly, and will stay there.
Efficiency doesn't count for squat.

Do you mean that literally, or did I miss something?

I'm hourly, and efficiency means a lot where I work.

In the production plants we supply dies for, the trades are hourly. When a
line goes down, efficiency is of the highest priority...

Regards,

Robin

Lane

"Robin S." wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

Always remember on such a job. You are hourly, and will stay there.
Efficiency doesn't count for squat.

Do you mean that literally, or did I miss something?

I'm hourly, and efficiency means a lot where I work.

In the production plants we supply dies for, the trades are hourly. When a
line goes down, efficiency is of the highest priority...

Regards,

Robin

Remember that everyplace is different. Some places he's right. Others,
you're right.

Lane

SteveB

"Robin S." wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

Always remember on such a job. You are hourly, and will stay there.
Efficiency doesn't count for squat.

Do you mean that literally, or did I miss something?

I'm hourly, and efficiency means a lot where I work.

In the production plants we supply dies for, the trades are hourly. When a
line goes down, efficiency is of the highest priority...

Regards,

Robin

I am just stating my opinion from my life experiences. They are
generalities.

It has been an observation that hourly workers are rarely promoted to
management without a college degree. They will hire someone with an English
major and not a day of experience, yet pass over the most experienced
qualified man on the line. English majors write better reports, and
socialize better at company functions. Thus my statement that hourly people
stay there until they hit their pay ceiling, and then, they are replaced by
a cheaper worker.

It has been my observation from more than one job and experience that one
worker who can turn out ten widgets a day is treated about the same as a man
who can do three. The workers will treat them differently, but management
doesn't notice. So, the man who does ten either modifies his output not to
stand out among his fellows, or he gets frustrated and quits. All an
efficient worker gets to do is finish his coworker's unfinished work.

Now, those are generalities, and might not apply at all where YOU work. If
that is the case, you work for a good employer who notices productivity and
efficiency.

I have seen more than one where overproductive efficient people either get
sabotaged by fellow workers, or who get tired of doing two people's work for
one man's pay.

I am old and cynical. I am 56. I have worked union and non union jobs. I
have seen too many people sent down the river with no oars to believe the
Pollyannish view of management. I did good work, and worked hard. I was
supervisor more of the time than a superivsed worker. I have owned my own
businesses. I have worn all the hats.

This whole discussion came about because of an inefficient worker. Were you
more right in your outlook, we wouldn't even be talking about this, would
we?

Steve

Anthony

"RogerN" wrote in
ink.net:

[...]

A detailed 'response time' report to very upper management would more
than suffice. Since this is a pattern, it should be easily evident what
is transpiring. Since the technicians time is only logged when they are
on a job, one can readily see the idle time of the techs, while jobs are
waiting.
I'm sure by the time it gets down to him, it will be a VERY LARGE ball of
Sh*t indeed.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Eric R Snow

On 20 May 2005 14:41:42 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Wayne
Lundberg says...

[...]

A friend of mine used to work with a guy who was treated very badly by
his boss. Name calling, with lots of 4 letter words, being told he was
an idiot, being blamed for mistakes his boss made and so on. My friend
asked him how he could stand it and why didn't he quit? He replied
that he was making good money there and would not be able to find
another job that paid as well. And, he added, he had another thing
that made his job bearable. He said that his boss left the office once
and forgot his cell phone. So this guy dropped his pants and briefs
and rubbed the cell phone up and down the crack of his ass a few
times. He told my friend that now whenever his boss was using his cell
phone he was "kissing my ass!".
ERS

Steve Walker

Robin S. wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

Always remember on such a job. You are hourly, and will stay there.
Efficiency doesn't count for squat.

Do you mean that literally, or did I miss something?

I'm hourly, and efficiency means a lot where I work.

In the production plants we supply dies for, the trades are hourly. When a
line goes down, efficiency is of the highest priority...

Regards,

Robin

Robin. Not being facetious, but do you personally get paid more or less
per hour, depending on how fast you repair the die?

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Sunworshipper

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:58:13 GMT, "RogerN"
wrote:

[...]

I don't get it. Go look at the job for 5 mins. and go on break then
fix it. I use to hate mandatory breaks it just made the job take
longer to recheck the set up after the break. No way was I turning on
the machine until I was certain it was set up right. BSing for 15
mins. and trying to remember where you where sucks, I'd rather get it
done and get off early.
Too_Many_Tools

Truer words have never been spoken....

Never expect management to do what they should already have done.

The messenger is always the first one to be sacrificed....and usually
the only one.

TMT

Stephen Young

Robin S. wrote:

This leads back to your question. Guys who are more competent do more
challenging work, get paid more, and are promoted faster (or at all). This
is true at my work, and at the shops to which we supply dies.

This is VERY rapidly becoming the exception. Management simply does not care how a job gets done
- just that it doesn't become an issue in their lap. It messes up their measureables totals &
reduces the chances of getting their negotiated bonuses come year end.
Gunner

On Fri, 20 May 2005 10:34:47 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote

[...]

Unless you have a friend in the oil fields with access to butyl
mercaptan .

VBG

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

F. George McDuffee

snip
There is one
supervisor that will let the job set for an hour or more and then set
someone up for the job and page them 5 minutes before break time. Employees
have seen him set in the office doing nothing, then noticing it's almost
break time and scrambling to send people to jobs. This supervisor gets a
kick out of trying to make employees miss their breaks and will hammer some
people with jobs while he lets others set around.

snip
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity.
Has anyone asked him if he is aware that he is scheduling work so
that you are losing your breaks? It may be entirely unconscious
on his part, or his boss may have a "thing" about breaks and lazy
workers and **it is simply "running downhill."

If you have tried this, then as I continually remind my students,
if you stay around crazy people long enough you wind up as crazy
as they are.

Step back and look at the situation. To see where you appear to
be with the facts presented read "Games People Play" by Berne
see:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...36118?v=glance

The two most likely games are "Now I've got you! You SOB," and
"Try and get away with it." This is somewhat unusual in that
both of you are about to start playing both games. N.B.: These
are never win-win, and are usually lose-lose.

The fact that your supervisor appears to have been there for a
while (and got promoted) indicates a sick organization rather
than a sick individual. That being the case, the next one you
get may even be worse.

GmcD

Sunworshipper

On Sat, 21 May 2005 10:01:35 -0700, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

[...]

Oooo ! That book looks like what I've been looking for.

I wrote off games as a policy long ago. About all I play is getting
out of very dangerous situations and not pulling out alot of $ when
trying to get something cheap. I went to about 13 schools in 18 and
watching the games people play was disgusting. Anyhow, for some reason
I've been more interested in the subject and haven't a clue to where
to look.

Is there a technical name for it?
Steve Walker

Stephen Young wrote:

This is VERY rapidly becoming the exception. Management simply does not
care how a job gets done - just that it doesn't become an issue in their
lap. It messes up their measureables totals & reduces the chances of
getting their negotiated bonuses come year end.

That is exactly the case where I work. Upper management doesn't care who
is very good, and who sucks, productivity-wise. We've been told it
doesn't matter, as long as the "shop average" is profitable. I got
pretty ****ed at my last "performance" review. Not a word was said about
my speed at programming, setup or productivity, other than a reference
to my abilities to do the job. What a joke. I like what I do, and I like
where I work, but it really ****es me off to get a 3% raise, and hear
the next day thar a total waste of an operator(read button pusher who
can't make 75% of rate) got the same dollar amount, not percent. It's
not so bad that I want to move for another job, it's just irritating.
P.V.'d again. G

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Don Foreman

On 20 May 2005 14:41:42 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Wayne
Lundberg says...

[...]

Ditto, though I was a bit less PC. I just quietly found another job
and took it -- twice. Both times, there was a sudden flurry of "oh,
we can match your new job." I just said the other guy got there
first and fair is fair.

During exit interviews with Dir of Eng, I told them exactly why I was
leaving.

Both times, the jerk that drove me out was gone within 6 months.
Tim Williams

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
... and hear
the next day thar a total waste of an operator(read button pusher who
can't make 75% of rate) got the same dollar amount, not percent. It's
not so bad that I want to move for another job, it's just irritating.
P.V.'d again. G

Seems to me you should milk the system and yourself work less than the worst
worker, until someone gets their head out and realizes the situation.
Though that would probably result in your situation being "fixed".

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 21 May 2005 01:46:37 GMT, Steve Walker wrote:
Robin S. wrote:
In the production plants we supply dies for, the trades are hourly. When a
line goes down, efficiency is of the highest priority...

Robin. Not being facetious, but do you personally get paid more or less
per hour, depending on how fast you repair the die?

I suppose if money were my only reason for working, I might feel that
way. But, to me, doing it right and as efficiently as possible has
always been not only a goal, but another reward of working.

Lane

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I suppose if money were my only reason for working, I might feel that
way. But, to me, doing it right and as efficiently as possible has
always been not only a goal, but another reward of working.

Robin

I understand perfectly. I once was in a fab shop where there was one section
of workers who never seemed to like me. For months and months I wondered
what it was all about, how had I ****ed off these guys. Then one day I made
a concerted effort to try to get to know one of them better during a break.
Finally he tells me that the lead was always asking them why they couldn't
produce work as fast and as free of defects as I did. Well, I took that lead
behind a partition and gave him a severe tongue lashing. Things were much
better after that, those guys would at least smile and say hi. I didn't
lower my own standards at all because I feel like you do, do the job right
the first time. Too bad not everyone does the same. Those guys could do the
work, but they were thinking "why should we?". It was a union shop, pay was
not related to how well you did your work in the least.

Lane

Maybe management does not notice at some places, but most of the places
I have worked, they do notice. With a Union Shop they may not be able
to do much with the knowledge except when an opening occurs for a non
union job.

In my opinion one reason not to shirk work is that you are there and so
why not. It isn't as if shirking work really benefits you. Maybe for
jobs that give you carpel tunnel syndrone, but for most jobs doing the
work gives some benefit in keeping you fit and trim.

Dan

John

Usually when managers/supervisors like that are discovered. After long
investigation they get promoted into positions where they will not survive.
They get a chance to really mess up and then are exiled from the corporation
and all of its holdings. This is all orchestrated and I have seen similar
stuff. You just report what you have to and if everything is well
documented and coroborated by most employees on the floor, least to say in
the long run your troubles will be over. In my case the super is now
actually covering for me which makes me very suspicious. Respect and
suspect them always.
"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

F. George McDuffee

A textbook example of the difference between management and
leadership.

Even if you are not currently p***** off enough to find another
job, get another one lined up anyhow. The landscape is littered
with the carcasses of corporations that have been number managed
into bankruptcy. Try to get any 401K money out of their control
ASAP.

GmcD

On Sun, 22 May 2005 02:03:25 GMT, Steve Walker
wrote:

Stephen Young wrote:

[...]

F. George McDuffee

snip
Oooo ! That book looks like what I've been looking for.
I wrote off games as a policy long ago. About all I play is getting
out of very dangerous situations and not pulling out alot of $ when
trying to get something cheap. I went to about 13 schools in 18 and
watching the games people play was disgusting. Anyhow, for some reason
I've been more interested in the subject and haven't a clue to where
to look.
Is there a technical name for it?

======================
Berne [apparently] coined the name "Transactional Analysis."

Dr. Eric Berne (d. 1970) has a good reputation in the psych
trade, and "Transactional Analysis" is widely used by HRD/ODD
[Human Resource Development / Organizational Diagnosis &
Development] practitioners.

FWIW, most HRD/ODD efforts are failures because the senior
management don't want to change [why should they? Their getting
rich and have their pictures on the cover of Fortune…]. Some
individuals can "hit bottom," and be ready to accept change.
When organizations "hit bottom" it is generally too late because
they are in chapter 11.

For more information than you will most likely want see:
http://www.itaa-net.org/
http://www.ericberne.com/transaction...escription.htm
http://www.businessballs.com/transact.htm
and about 27,600 more "hits."

In many cases the best way to fight systemic organizational
problems like this is with your hat -- You grab it and run.

GmcD

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "RogerN" wrote back on
Fri, 20 May 2005 17:45:56 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I quit one job over pay, and found out after I gave notice, that the
foreman had been real happy with my work. Things got done right, and he
didn't have to worry about them. Too bad he didn't tell me.

The next place, the foreman was ... nuts. I mean, "When my cult has a
bar-b-q, I'll make sure you have a front row seat." kinds of nuts. But he
said "thank you." after setting you on a task. That alone was enough to
make me a happy employee.

tschus
pyotr

p.s. I decided on a Wednesday that Friday i would call in "sick" and leave
the message "Tell Al the voices told me to stay home and clean the guns."
I figured the Monday, either a) nothing would be said, b) he'd have quit,
or c) I'd be let go. But we'll never know, as he got laid off that
evening.

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "Robin S." wrote back on
Fri, 20 May 2005 19:21:28 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"SteveB" wrote in message

Always remember on such a job. You are hourly, and will stay there.
Efficiency doesn't count for squat.

Do you mean that literally, or did I miss something?

I'm hourly, and efficiency means a lot where I work.

In the production plants we supply dies for, the trades are hourly. When a
line goes down, efficiency is of the highest priority...

Yeah, but it doesn't sound like this guy cares too much about that. If
he's going to be an asshat, then I can work enough to not get fired. I
mean, if it takes an hour to get a repair tech called over, then speed
obviously is not of the essence.
But I'd be looking for another job, either a different shift, or a
different company.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:33:00 GMT, pyotr filipivich wrote:

p.s. I decided on a Wednesday that Friday i would call in "sick" and leave
the message "Tell Al the voices told me to stay home and clean the guns."
I figured the Monday, either a) nothing would be said, b) he'd have quit,
or c) I'd be let go. But we'll never know, as he got laid off that
evening.

I thought it was "...clean _all_ the guns, and that's gonna take a
while...".

Dave Hinz

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Dave Hinz wrote back on 24
May 2005 14:47:08 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:33:00 GMT, pyotr filipivich wrote:

p.s. I decided on a Wednesday that Friday i would call in "sick" and leave
the message "Tell Al the voices told me to stay home and clean the guns."
I figured the Monday, either a) nothing would be said, b) he'd have quit,
or c) I'd be let go. But we'll never know, as he got laid off that
evening.

I thought it was "...clean _all_ the guns, and that's gonna take a
while...".

Well, maybe.

I just worry when the little voices say, "Oh, heck, they're not that
dirty, you can clean them after Tomorrow."

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.