Eric R Snow

Default Kudos to Central Welding

Yesterday I went to buy a new argon bottle. The one I have presently
is a 150 cubic foot bottle. They are about $195.00 US new. Asking
about the price the guy says why not get the 250? It's only $207.00
US. Sure I say. Only 12 bucks more. So, the fellow helps me load it
and then we go into the store so I can pay. Then he tells me he
goofed. The 250 bottle is really $297.00. 90 bucks more! Then he says
that since he had just told me it was $207.00 a few minutes before he
would honor that price. Cool huh? Central welding has some good
business ethics.
Eric R Snow,
Who now has two argon cylinders and won't be running out anty time
soon.
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Eric R Snow
wrote:

Yesterday I went to buy a new argon bottle. The one I have presently
is a 150 cubic foot bottle. They are about $195.00 US new. Asking
about the price the guy says why not get the 250? It's only $207.00
US. Sure I say. Only 12 bucks more. So, the fellow helps me load it
and then we go into the store so I can pay. Then he tells me he
goofed. The 250 bottle is really $297.00. 90 bucks more! Then he says
that since he had just told me it was $207.00 a few minutes before he
would honor that price. Cool huh? Central welding has some good
business ethics.
Eric R Snow,
Who now has two argon cylinders and won't be running out anty time
soon.

They are currently the best welding supplier in the greater Seattle
area.
Still family owned.
Leo Lichtman

"Eric R Snow" wrote: (clip)since he had just told me it was $207.00 a few
minutes before he would honor that price. Cool huh?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Definitely cool. People like that deserve to be treated nice in return.
Maybe I'm just strange, but I would have offered to pay the right price, or
else let him back out of the deal. We might have ended up splitting the
difference, and, of course, if he INSISTED, I would have taken it at the
lower price.

I'm not criticizing you--I'm just saying what I think would have made HIM
feel good as well as you.

Eric R Snow

On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:38:52 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote: (clip)since he had just told me it was $207.00 a few
minutes before he would honor that price. Cool huh?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Definitely cool. People like that deserve to be treated nice in return.
Maybe I'm just strange, but I would have offered to pay the right price, or
else let him back out of the deal. We might have ended up splitting the
difference, and, of course, if he INSISTED, I would have taken it at the
lower price.

I'm not criticizing you--I'm just saying what I think would have made HIM
feel good as well as you.

Greetings Leo,
Normally I would have insisted on paying the correct price too. But
the dynamics of the situation would not allow this and still have the
positive feelings all around. First he said sure, we can get that
cylinder in your little Dodge Colt hatchback. Then, he remembers that
I recently had $65,000.00 worth of work done on my back and wouldn't
let me lift my end of the cylinder. As soon as we walked back into the
store from the dock he remembered that I bought a Thermal Dynamics
Cutmaster 101 last month. Then he noticed he had quoted the wrong
price and before I could even open my mouth he said I'd get the lower
price. I think even offering to pay more would have insulted him. He
was feeling great because he just took a load off my back, gave me a
great deal on a cylinder, and recognized me as a repeat customer.
There was no way I was gonna spoil his mood.
Cheers,
Eric
Lane

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
In article , Eric R Snow
wrote:

Yesterday I went to buy a new argon bottle. The one I have presently
is a 150 cubic foot bottle. They are about $195.00 US new. Asking
about the price the guy says why not get the 250? It's only $207.00
US. Sure I say. Only 12 bucks more. So, the fellow helps me load it
and then we go into the store so I can pay. Then he tells me he
goofed. The 250 bottle is really $297.00. 90 bucks more! Then he says
that since he had just told me it was $207.00 a few minutes before he
would honor that price. Cool huh? Central welding has some good
business ethics.
Eric R Snow,
Who now has two argon cylinders and won't be running out anty time
soon.

They are currently the best welding supplier in the greater Seattle
area.
Still family owned.

I agree except for their equipment prices. I got significantly better
prices from other places in the same city. Airgas for my Miller Syncrowave
and Praxair for my Hypertherm plasma cutter. Maybe thats why they are able
to sell argon bottles so cheap?

Lane

Mike Henry

wrote:

[...]

I don't know much about welding, but my mother used to work for a local,
family owned welding supply company and she recalls the owner bemoaning the
fact that Wallmart could sell the smaller name brand welders retail for less
than what they cost him wholesale. Perhaps Central has the same problem.

Leo Lichtman

"Eric R Snow" wrote: (clip) Normally I would have insisted on paying the
correct price too. But the dynamics of the situation would not allow this
and still have the positive feelings all around.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks, Eric--now I feel good too.

Christopher Tidy

Eric R Snow wrote:
Yesterday I went to buy a new argon bottle. The one I have presently
is a 150 cubic foot bottle. They are about $195.00 US new. Asking
about the price the guy says why not get the 250? It's only $207.00
US. Sure I say. Only 12 bucks more. So, the fellow helps me load it
and then we go into the store so I can pay. Then he tells me he
goofed. The 250 bottle is really $297.00. 90 bucks more! Then he says
that since he had just told me it was $207.00 a few minutes before he
would honor that price. Cool huh? Central welding has some good
business ethics.
Eric R Snow,
Who now has two argon cylinders and won't be running out anty time
soon.

I went to my local welding supplies shop a couple of months ago to buy
some rods. I picked up a couple of packs which came to around £29. Then
they couldn't get the credit card machine to work (they'd just been
installing those chip-and-pin machines) so the guy said he'd do me a
deal and gave me them for £20 cash. I was pretty pleased. Maybe this is
a trend among welding stores?

Chris

Cydrome Leader

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Eric R Snow wrote:
[...]

The local welding shop I use in Chicago has computer they look up pricing on, but I've never seen any paperwork they wasn't done by hand. They just make up pricing for liquid nitrogen since I only get 10liters at a time. Some other local tool supplies are pretty old fashioned as well.

Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
Four questions form novice to welding mongke Metalworking 7 January 1st 04 04:12 AM
Q: Welding Magnesium tony Metalworking 10 November 6th 03 10:31 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM