Eregon

Default Has anyone tried using one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?
DoN. Nichols

In article 1,
Eregon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

It would have been nice to state *what* the object was (as it
turns out -- a micro die grinder), so I (and others) could not bother
chasing down the link if we had not ever used one of the devices (as I
have not).

Just a few more words would have saved me from having to start
my web browser to check -- or I could have just ignored the question, as
I was tempted to do. (No -- not everybody reads newsgroups using a
browser, so they don't have one already active. :-)

Now to sit back and see whether anyone *does* answer in the
positive, or whether they ignore the question instead of following your
link.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Jim Newell

Bought it to tear apart. Never actually used it.

Before I ripped it apart, mine had a slight grinding sound/feel to it when
turned by hand.

I am NOT a Harbor Freight hater as most of the replies you get will be,
but.....

The thought of that thing spinning at 50,000+ RPM's in my hand, considering
the parts (vanes) inside it just scares the **** out of me.

Maybe that is how they are all made, I don't really know, there are a lot of
good buys at HF, but this one seems like a good on to pass on.

But then, I could be wrong.

"Eregon" wrote in message
6.121...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

machineman

Eregon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

I havn't used that particular model, but they look like the ones we used
to buy a dozen at a time up here in Canada from Princess Auto for use in
our deburring room. We used to buy real expensive $4-500 ones(dotco)
but would have to get them rebuilt about once a year for another
$100-150. I tried the cheap models, they last about 6 months and then
throw them away(this is everyday use). Mainly used on the rougher jobs
and use a Yuasa nsk high speed pencil grinder for the fine work. The nsk
stuff is expensive but is still in use after 6-7 years.
If your looking for occasional light deburring, then these will
probably work fine. You will get better mileage with a good filter and
oiler setup on your air supply.
Grant Erwin

Eregon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

I have looked at them closely in the store and passed on them. They just
didn't look well made to me, regardless of price. I sure would like a real
one of those, though. You could just catch the body in a #2 lathe toolholder
(e.g. BXA 2) and use them for a makeshift toolpost grinder.

GWE

AL

For $15, why not give it a try?

"Eregon" wrote in message
6.121...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

Kenneth A. Emmert

"Eregon" wrote in message
6.121...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

I have the same item except a upper kit more accessories. Works well though
not frequently used!

Ken

Waynemak

I have a Harbor Freight Credit card (no need to put the # here) for every
dollar I spend I get $.01 to spend in the form of a gift card. It works
great for me every month in a half i get a $20.00 gift card, so buying items
I might not normaly buy is no big deal. I will wait until i get 2 or 3 gift
cards and then get me a gift. I sure as hell beats all those (sky miles)
that I never was able to use with all the restrictions, its also nice to get
to use your points before your almost dead.
"AL" wrote in message
For $15, why not give it a try?

"Eregon" wrote in message
6.121...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 May 2005 02:30:41 GMT, the inscrutable Eregon
spake:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

I've heard woodcarvers complain of the low power (a die grinder
they're NOT), but I haven't heard of any mechanical problems. These
things are meant for very light, fine work. Doing some dentistry?

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

I have one of these, maybe not the same item number, but very similar.
I do not use it a lot, but it has been very good when I have needed it.
It will take dental drills and they work for removing broken taps.

Dan

Eregon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869

and, if so, was it worth it?

I have a couple of similar items, one uses standard Foredom collets and
came in a similar blow-molded box with a bunch of points, the other was
cheaper and uses an unidentified collet. Either runs rings around the
standard hardware store Dremel. I've used all of mine extensively with
no problems. Don't know about the current crop, I haven't needed to
buy one lately. Don't expect to hog things out like you can with a
1/4" shank grinder and you'll be fine. For about 10X as much, you can
get the Foredom-branded equivalent, I've got one of those, too, off the
scratch and dent table at MSC. Only thing superior is the finish, works
about the same. They all use an eccentric vane motor. Keep lubricated
and they'll run a long time. Biggest advantage over a Dremel or
flex-shaft is that they run cool on long jobs. That, plus they're
light and skinny.

With the mini-grinders that cheap, it's easier to keep each one tooled
up and just change grinders when I want a different burr or point.
They work well with the Dremel cutoff disks, that's one of my major
uses. I've used them for PC board repair with carbide drills, too.
The only thing I miss is the foot pedal like I've got with the
flex-shaft Foredom. Foredom makes a better set of collet wrenches than
comes with the HF units, I bought some spares and use them instead. I
picked up a complete set of Foredom collets at the same time, they've
been VERY handy, I can use the odd-sized dental burr and point with
those. I don't know if the current unit accepts those collets, though.
Something to look at.

Stan

Eregon

"Jim Newell" wrote in
:

The thought of that thing spinning at 50,000+ RPM's in my hand,
considering the parts (vanes) inside it just scares the **** out of
me.

Well, at 50K it's a lot slower than the 450K claimed for this one:
http://www.toolcenter.com/turbo-carver/index.htm and, at $15, a whole lot
cheaper, too!
Eregon

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I've heard woodcarvers complain of the low power (a die grinder
they're NOT), but I haven't heard of any mechanical problems. These
things are meant for very light, fine work. Doing some dentistry?

Actually, I'm interested in it as a non-electrical way of doing some
engraving on knife blades using diamond burrs.

I've been a bit disappointed with using a Dremel with a flex shaft since
the shaft doesn't take too kindly to bending.

For fine finish work, I get better results working wet (1/4" of water over
the metal) than dry.
Eregon

wrote in news:1115911177.068281.221190
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Eregon wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information!
DeepDiver

"Eregon" wrote in message
6.121...

Actually, I'm interested in it as a non-electrical way of doing some
engraving on knife blades using diamond burrs.

I've been a bit disappointed with using a Dremel with a flex shaft since
the shaft doesn't take too kindly to bending.

For fine finish work, I get better results working wet (1/4" of water over
the metal) than dry.

Sounds like you have a very good reason for using this particular type of
tool. So why not give it a try? For $15, you really can't go too terribly
wrong.

Perhaps later, you can write up your own review on its merits and/or
shortcomings.

- Michael

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:48:49 GMT, the inscrutable Eregon
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I've heard woodcarvers complain of the low power (a die grinder
they're NOT), but I haven't heard of any mechanical problems. These
things are meant for very light, fine work. Doing some dentistry?

Actually, I'm interested in it as a non-electrical way of doing some
engraving on knife blades using diamond burrs.

I've been a bit disappointed with using a Dremel with a flex shaft since
the shaft doesn't take too kindly to bending.

I have one of the little Foredom clones from HF ($50 on sale) and
wouldn't want to use one for engraving on harder surfaces. Turbo
spinners, the faster the better, would be the way to go if you don't
want to do acid etching. Laser etching is another way. A friend in
LoCal had a nice 30w(?) laser he used with Corel Draw to do some
really lovely and intricate woodcarving/etching. I wonder if the
abrasive water jetters could be slowed down to do etching on metal...

For fine finish work, I get better results working wet (1/4" of water over
the metal) than dry.

Ayup, that might not be conducive (but might be conductive) to
electrical burr-spinners.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
jw

You are spending $2k at Harbor Freight every 6 weeks?! Wow. That's
got to earn you Platinum status or something. You must be using them
as a supplier for some sort of consumable. I can't imagine anyone
spending that sort of money on equipment on a continual basis.

JW

Pete C.

jw wrote:

You are spending $2k at Harbor Freight every 6 weeks?! Wow. That's
got to earn you Platinum status or something. You must be using them
as a supplier for some sort of consumable. I can't imagine anyone
spending that sort of money on equipment on a continual basis.

I think he's referring to a HF branded credit card, one that you can use
elsewhere, not just at HF. Running $2k of expenses i.e. gas, groceries,
etc. through a credit card monthly is nothing surprising.

Pete C.
Mike Fields

"Eregon" wrote in message
6.121...
"Jim Newell" wrote in
:

The thought of that thing spinning at 50,000+ RPM's in my hand,
considering the parts (vanes) inside it just scares the **** out of
me.

Well, at 50K it's a lot slower than the 450K claimed for this one:
http://www.toolcenter.com/turbo-carver/index.htm and, at $15, a whole

lot
cheaper, too!

I guess you REALLY don't want to know about the little turbine
in the dentists drill he puts in your mouth then !!

mikey

Ken Moffett

Eregon wrote in
6.121:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

I have one of these I bought from ENCO a couple of years ago. Works well.
(except that it makes my teeth hurt...dental memories) However, it only has
an 1/8" collet. I later saw the same die grinder in a Rockler or Woodcraft
flyer with both a 1/8" and a 3/32"(?). Since I have a lot of the smaller
shaft Dremel bits, I contacted ENCO to see if there was a way to get the
smaller collet. No go! If you can find the ones with more than one collet
size, I would go for that, even if it costs a little more.

Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:06:35 -0700, "Mike Fields"
wrote:
"Eregon" wrote in message
86.121...
"Jim Newell" wrote in
:

The thought of that thing spinning at 50,000+ RPM's in my hand,
considering the parts (vanes) inside it just scares the **** out of
me.

Well, at 50K it's a lot slower than the 450K claimed for this one:
http://www.toolcenter.com/turbo-carver/index.htm and, at $15, a whole
lot cheaper, too!

I guess you REALLY don't want to know about the little turbine
in the dentists drill he puts in your mouth then !!

And you really don't want to know what steam sterilization does to
the operating parts inside of those little turbines, either.

My dentist has almost opened up a sideline of rebuilding handpiece
heads - because the bearings are going bad so fast, and it's rather
expensive if you send them in for service. He bought the repair bench
tooling, a pile of spare parts, and a bag of replacement bearings...

It's scary - I walk in there to talk teeth, and end up talking tech.

I like him - he knows what he /doesn't/ know, and calls people like
me when things break and it's not a simple DIY job. Like to repair
the totally botched and abandoned (the ex-contractor is in Texas)
panel change job for the hair salon at the other end of his building.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Don Foreman

On Thu, 12 May 2005 02:30:41 GMT, Eregon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

I have one like it that I got from Enco. Used it today to clean up a
small aluminum weld.

Hint: these things really like Kroil for lube. I give it about a
half-second shot right into the air line. When I run it, the speed
increases quite markedly when the Kroil reaches the turbine.

jw

Oh, that would make more sense. I was thinking of something like a
store credit card(target, home depot, et al).

I personally do the Discover thing. I like cash back. I use the card
for absolutely everything(I even have most of my utilities auto-pay
through the card). At 1-10% cash back, I end up with nearly a free
month every year. It's amazing how much it adds up to at the end of
the year.

JW

F. George McDuffee

wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
and, if so, was it worth it?

I bought what appears to be the same thing from Enco. Works
great. Lower are requirements [compared to my 1.4 die grinder]
is a plus. Try using this to grind hook rather than back rake in
your lather tools, esp. cutters for boring bars. With a small
stone you can get much more back rake and many times good chip
breaking action, or at least a good tight curl.

GmcD