Eregon

wrote in news:1115911177.068281.221190
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Eregon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869

and, if so, was it worth it?

I have a couple of similar items, one uses standard Foredom collets and
came in a similar blow-molded box with a bunch of points, the other was
cheaper and uses an unidentified collet. Either runs rings around the
standard hardware store Dremel. I've used all of mine extensively with
no problems. Don't know about the current crop, I haven't needed to
buy one lately. Don't expect to hog things out like you can with a
1/4" shank grinder and you'll be fine. For about 10X as much, you can
get the Foredom-branded equivalent, I've got one of those, too, off the
scratch and dent table at MSC. Only thing superior is the finish, works
about the same. They all use an eccentric vane motor. Keep lubricated
and they'll run a long time. Biggest advantage over a Dremel or
flex-shaft is that they run cool on long jobs. That, plus they're
light and skinny.

With the mini-grinders that cheap, it's easier to keep each one tooled
up and just change grinders when I want a different burr or point.
They work well with the Dremel cutoff disks, that's one of my major
uses. I've used them for PC board repair with carbide drills, too.
The only thing I miss is the foot pedal like I've got with the
flex-shaft Foredom. Foredom makes a better set of collet wrenches than
comes with the HF units, I bought some spares and use them instead. I
picked up a complete set of Foredom collets at the same time, they've
been VERY handy, I can use the odd-sized dental burr and point with
those. I don't know if the current unit accepts those collets, though.
Something to look at.

Stan

Thanks for the information!