Larry Jaques

Default Homier metal bender any good?

I'm pondering the purchase of a bender at the Homier sale this
weekend. Their hand bender with stand is $39.95, a no-brainer
if it's worth anything at all. #04595 Compact Bender, 48 pounds.
www.homier.com

Is this a real POS or a worthy buy, guys?

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
SteveB

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I'm pondering the purchase of a bender at the Homier sale this
weekend. Their hand bender with stand is $39.95, a no-brainer
if it's worth anything at all. #04595 Compact Bender, 48 pounds.
www.homier.com

Is this a real POS or a worthy buy, guys?

The answer is definitely, yes, no, maybe, and it depends.

My experience with a lot of tools of this type is that a person uses it
about eight times in his lifetime, or they like it and outgrow it. So, you
are either gonna love it for the occasional job it does, or will find its
limitations.

Hossfeld benders have many many many attatchments for bending all sorts of
stuff. I guess a well stocked shop would lay out $ome $erioius ca$h for a
full set of tooling on the chance that they might need them all at one time
or another. It would be different for the home garage mechanic.

So, we try to find a compromise that will do what we want to do.

Work with it. Read the instructions. (!) (what a concept for the
hypertestosterone impaired) It will probably do more than you can, and if
you outgrow it, by then, you will have made enough money on it to buy what
you want to fill in the areas where it is lacking.

Steve

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:44:42 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
I'm pondering the purchase of a bender at the Homier sale this
weekend. Their hand bender with stand is $39.95, a no-brainer
if it's worth anything at all. #04595 Compact Bender, 48 pounds.
www.homier.com

Is this a real POS or a worthy buy, guys?

The answer is definitely, yes, no, maybe, and it depends.

Off your meds again, I see. tsk

My experience with a lot of tools of this type is that a person uses it
about eight times in his lifetime, or they like it and outgrow it. So, you
are either gonna love it for the occasional job it does, or will find its
limitations.

Hossfeld benders have many many many attatchments for bending all sorts of
stuff. I guess a well stocked shop would lay out $ome $erioius ca$h for a
full set of tooling on the chance that they might need them all at one time
or another. It would be different for the home garage mechanic.

I figured it'd pay for itself in one project.

So, we try to find a compromise that will do what we want to do.

Work with it. Read the instructions. (!) (what a concept for the
hypertestosterone impaired) It will probably do more than you can, and if
you outgrow it, by then, you will have made enough money on it to buy what
you want to fill in the areas where it is lacking.

Thanks, Steve. That's just what a toy^Hol collector like me needed to
hear.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
Keith Marshall

I've seen one at their truckload tool sale and it looks nearly identical to
the one I bought from Harbor Freight. They're pretty handy to have on hand.
I've even made a die for bending 3/4" square tubing with it and it works
great!

My only complaint is that the pins bend too easily but one of these days
I'll probably replace them with 5/8" hitch pins and that should solve the
problem. :-)

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I'm pondering the purchase of a bender at the Homier sale this
weekend. Their hand bender with stand is $39.95, a no-brainer
if it's worth anything at all. #04595 Compact Bender, 48 pounds.
www.homier.com

Is this a real POS or a worthy buy, guys?

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:14:07 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Marshall"
spake:

I've seen one at their truckload tool sale and it looks nearly identical to
the one I bought from Harbor Freight. They're pretty handy to have on hand.
I've even made a die for bending 3/4" square tubing with it and it works
great!

My only complaint is that the pins bend too easily but one of these days
I'll probably replace them with 5/8" hitch pins and that should solve the
problem. :-)

Thanks for the heads-up and tip, Keith.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.

I would very much like to see plans, pictures, sketches, etc. for your
square tubing die. can you post something please.

Keith Marshall wrote:

I've even made a die for bending 3/4" square tubing with it and it

works
great!

Keith Marshall

I would very much like to see plans, pictures, sketches, etc. for your
square tubing die. can you post something please.

It was actually so simple I never did drawings or anything. Here's a link
to a message I posted describing it a couple of years ago:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...d5207460e7c8e4

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

SteveB

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:44:42 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB"
spake:

Hossfeld benders have many many many attatchments for bending all sorts of
stuff. I guess a well stocked shop would lay out $ome $erioius ca$h for a
full set of tooling on the chance that they might need them all at one
time
or another. It would be different for the home garage mechanic.

I figured it'd pay for itself in one project.

If you are onto a project that will pay for a full Hossfeld setup, I am
impressed!

Go for it.

Steve

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:35:27 -0700, the inscrutable Larry Jaques
spake:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:14:07 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Marshall"
spake:

I've seen one at their truckload tool sale and it looks nearly identical to
the one I bought from Harbor Freight. They're pretty handy to have on hand.
I've even made a die for bending 3/4" square tubing with it and it works
great!

My only complaint is that the pins bend too easily but one of these days
I'll probably replace them with 5/8" hitch pins and that should solve the
problem. :-)

Thanks for the heads-up and tip, Keith.

UPDATE: I went to the truckload tool sale this morning, stood in line
for half an hour, then filed in with the rest of the herd. After 20
minutes and 3 rings around each aisle and stack, I came to the
stunning conclusion that THERE WERE NO BENDERS AT THE SALE despite the
ad showing them. I then stood in the line to the cashier since there
were no Homier guys on the floor. After another 20 minutes, I got to
a cashier and asked him if they could check for the item. "Well, it
should be out there in the middle of the floor in one of those
stacks." was all I got out of him. He had no way to check, nobody to
check with, and no clue as to what the term "customer service" meant.
I left with a single item, a $2 umbrella for my neighbor. GDMFBASOBs.

Homier Corporate will be getting a nice letter from me in the very
near future.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:23:50 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:44:42 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB"
spake:

Hossfeld benders have many many many attatchments for bending all sorts of
stuff. I guess a well stocked shop would lay out $ome $erioius ca$h for a
full set of tooling on the chance that they might need them all at one
time
or another. It would be different for the home garage mechanic.

I figured it'd pay for itself in one project.

If you are onto a project that will pay for a full Hossfeld setup, I am
impressed!

Go for it.

Um, I was referring to the $40 Homier bender which they were rude
enough to advertise but not take to the sale with them. sigh

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Keith Marshall

Homier Corporate will be getting a nice letter from me in the very
near future.

They seem to be doing that more and more lately. I've hit about 6 of their
shows over the last couple of years and each time they have less and less of
the larger items. They rarely have the lathes and I don't think I've seen
one of the mini mills in the last 4 shows. They also used to have MIG
welders and even the occasional plasma cutter but all they had like that at
the last auction was a tiny stick welder. They even had tractors at one
sale a year or so ago.

They're selling from smaller and smaller buildings too so I guess that's
part of the problem but their shipping is outrageous so I doubt I'll ever
buy anything from them that I can't get at the local sale.

Is there a Harbor Freight store anywhere near you? They have their bench
model on sale for $50:

It should be the same except for the base and I made my own base anyway
because I have a square stake set in concrete that I can set it on for use
along with a small tire changer and a plate shear I don't have room to mount
permanently.

[...]

SteveB

"Larry Jaques" wrote

UPDATE: I went to the truckload tool sale this morning, stood in line
for half an hour, then filed in with the rest of the herd. After 20
minutes and 3 rings around each aisle and stack, I came to the
stunning conclusion that THERE WERE NO BENDERS AT THE SALE despite the
ad showing them. I then stood in the line to the cashier since there
were no Homier guys on the floor. After another 20 minutes, I got to
a cashier and asked him if they could check for the item. "Well, it
should be out there in the middle of the floor in one of those
stacks." was all I got out of him. He had no way to check, nobody to
check with, and no clue as to what the term "customer service" meant.
I left with a single item, a $2 umbrella for my neighbor. GDMFBASOBs.

Homier Corporate will be getting a nice letter from me in the very
near future.

When I have found myself in similar situations, I do the meanest thing I can
think of. I leave with all my money. I do try to tell someone before I
leave why I am leaving, and that they won't be getting any of my money.
Usually, all you get is a lackey with a blank stare. Letters to the company
usually get a reply from a remote lackey, but occasionally get you some
action.

Steve

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 01 May 2005 03:03:51 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Marshall"
spake:

Homier Corporate will be getting a nice letter from me in the very
near future.

They seem to be doing that more and more lately. I've hit about 6 of their
shows over the last couple of years and each time they have less and less of
the larger items.

Fewer and fewer, too, huh? g

They rarely have the lathes and I don't think I've seen
one of the mini mills in the last 4 shows. They also used to have MIG
welders and even the occasional plasma cutter but all they had like that at
the last auction was a tiny stick welder. They even had tractors at one
sale a year or so ago.

I saw one mini-mill, one larger mill, a few large floor drill presses,
one tractor w/ bucket and 2 PTO-tillers for same, and a lot of really
nasty furniture.

They're selling from smaller and smaller buildings too so I guess that's
part of the problem but their shipping is outrageous so I doubt I'll ever
buy anything from them that I can't get at the local sale.

I think the building was about 40x80' here. Yeah, it's $32 and change
for shipping that bender to me. Screw that, and screw their shows.

Is there a Harbor Freight store anywhere near you? They have their bench
model on sale for $50:

Yeah, 25 miles away, thanks.

It should be the same except for the base and I made my own base anyway
because I have a square stake set in concrete that I can set it on for use
along with a small tire changer and a plate shear I don't have room to mount
permanently.

I wonder if I take the ad into the HF store if he'd give me that price
on either model...I'll have to try that.

P.S: Why the top-posting? Quote for context and toss the rest for a
much easier read.

"Let's sing praise to Aphrodite || www.diversify.com
She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites
but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications
And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development
Keith Marshall

I saw one mini-mill, one larger mill, a few large floor drill presses,
one tractor w/ bucket and 2 PTO-tillers for same, and a lot of really
nasty furniture.

Wow, that was a big one!! They didn't have any of that stuff at the last
one I went to... except for the furniture maybe. :-)

I wonder if I take the ad into the HF store if he'd give me that price
on either model...I'll have to try that.

My local store has always been happy to honor online sale prices but they
won't normally give you a different item for the same price unless they're
out of the one that's on sale. They may give you a better price on the
floor model though. They often put them on sale for half price which would
be about $65 for this one:

P.S: Why the top-posting? Quote for context and toss the rest for a
much easier read.

That's what I used to do before a couple of people bitched at me for not
leaving the whole message so they could follow what was going on. I hate
bottom posting because, with my newsreader at least, it makes it a lot more
trouble to go through all the new messages but some people insist it's the
ONLY way you should do it. So now I quote for content as you suggested and
often leave the full message on the end and people are welcome to read it or
ignore it. Unfortunately there are a ton of different ways to do it and no
one way makes everyone happy so I just kind of do my own thing. :-)