Waynemak

Default Hydraulic bottle jack question

I picked up one of these Bumper lifts, almost like a small fork lift but
would not roll with a load. Anyhow it was free and I figured the jack was
the problem. Well the jack didn't lift all the way up maybe 1/4 of the way.
I decided I might just try this jack fluid that fixes seals, I know it won't
work. What is does is leak fluid when you lift the handle not push down, I
suppose it leaks by the seals, then when lifting handle for next stroke it
has no where to go.

What is the proper way to fill these?
Is replacing seals just not worth it?

Gunner

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:21:02 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

I picked up one of these Bumper lifts, almost like a small fork lift but
would not roll with a load. Anyhow it was free and I figured the jack was
the problem. Well the jack didn't lift all the way up maybe 1/4 of the way.
I decided I might just try this jack fluid that fixes seals, I know it won't
work. What is does is leak fluid when you lift the handle not push down, I
suppose it leaks by the seals, then when lifting handle for next stroke it
has no where to go.

What is the proper way to fill these?
Is replacing seals just not worth it?

Generally the seals in the pump handle are nothing more than o rings
and are easily replaced. Now if the shaft is worn..thats another
issue.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Bugs

Sounds like it needs a new 'O' ring seal on the pump shaft and a refill
of hydraulic oil. There may be a rubber plug in the side of the jack
barrel that you fill through. They tend to get hard and break, so
handle gently. A better quality jack will have a threaded filling plug
somewhere.

Bob May

I fill bottle jacks and let them compress to the end and let the excess oil
out.
The fill hole needs to be the top of the jack when doing this.
You'll also know if the jack is full enough if you can jack it all the way
extended without running out of oil.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?