Larry Jaques

Default Onan generator finally INSTALLED permanently.

On 11 Apr 2005 02:03:28 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus22998
spake:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/ -- general blog
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/z02_Installed/ -- pictures of
the installed generator

Today, my FIL and myself moved the generator into its spot. It is
behind the house, very close to the electrical meter and the panel
inside. It is located next to the deck, which shields most of the
noise.

I measured noise with a sound level meter.

10 ft in front of the generator -- 73 dB.
Across the deck, near house -- 63 dB.
Inside the house -- can be barely heard, with effort

The piece of plywood that is behind the genset, goes in front of it
when the generator is to be run. It reduces noise by whopping 5 dB.

I'll bet that if you had made the box around the genset half again
larger that along would have given the same baffling. Do you have all
the openings baffled to the outside?

73/63 dB is still too loud AFAIC. Is this for emergency use only, or
are you going to be using it to go entirely off-grid? IOW, try running
it one night while you try to get to sleep. Your neighbor might have
stronger feelings about it then, too.

I told my neighbor who is facing the genset that if he needs a power
cord connected to my genset, he could do it.

Good ploy!

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------
Brian Lawson

Hey Iggy,

I think I would remove, or at least REALLY hide the wheels. For one
thing, too easy to "get gone"; and for another, rubber tires don't
really like static exposure to the environment, especially ozone.
ArmorAll or brake fluid help.

Have you had a chance to run it in hot weather all covered-up? No
heat problems?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 11 Apr 2005 02:03:28 GMT, Ignoramus22998
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/ -- general blog
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/z02_Installed/ -- pictures of
the installed generator

Today, my FIL and myself moved the generator into its spot. It is
behind the house, very close to the electrical meter and the panel
inside. It is located next to the deck, which shields most of the
noise.

I measured noise with a sound level meter.

10 ft in front of the generator -- 73 dB.
Across the deck, near house -- 63 dB.
Inside the house -- can be barely heard, with effort

The piece of plywood that is behind the genset, goes in front of it
when the generator is to be run. It reduces noise by whopping 5 dB.

I told my neighbor who is facing the genset that if he needs a power
cord connected to my genset, he could do it.

Larry Jaques

On 11 Apr 2005 13:54:52 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus906
spake:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:22:38 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

I'll bet that if you had made the box around the genset half again
larger that along would have given the same baffling. Do you have all
the openings baffled to the outside?

No, the opening behind the generator (for exhausting cooling air) is
not baffled, and the opening on the left side for air intake is not
baffled either.

Perhaps baffling them would indeed help.

Ayup. Noise travels in a straight line (plus banking off flat
surfaces), and like air and water, seeks the easiest escape.

73/63 dB is still too loud AFAIC. Is this for emergency use only,

Yes, emergency only.

That's good.

or are you going to be using it to go entirely off-grid? IOW, try
running it one night while you try to get to sleep. Your neighbor
might have stronger feelings about it then, too.

Absolutely. There are the following considerations he

1. Most of the time (except cold winter weather), in emergency, I can
turn it off for the night. No big deal. No noise, no problem.

Bueno. (Your neighbors thank you.)

2. As I said, inside my home, it is actually quite reasonable -- it
can be barely heard (at least during the day).

Did you try the sound from your neighbor's house while it was running?
Hopefully they have dual-glazed windows.

When I moved into this house it had single-glazed windows. I know
there was an amazing difference when I installed the dual-glazed units
in my bedroom, the first changed in the whole-house installation.
Noise was cut by 75% and the room warmed up 5° above the rest of the
house within hours. Great! Well worth the $2,200 total fee.

3. If my neighbor needs power, he will have different feelings about
73 dB noise (which his house will, no doubt, attenuate much further).

Verily! g

4. The diesel noise is of the kind that's not very annoying and people
can, after a while, simply ignore it. I used to live in a house right
next to busy tram line, and after a few years, next to a
railroad. After some time, one simply tunes these noises out.

If you were a barking dog's owner and tried to tell that to people who
didn't own pets, you'd most likely get hammered. Yes, steady noises
like generators are easier to get used to, but the low frequency of
the exhaust can be really irritating very quickly if they're loud.
As usual when it comes to noise, the quieter it is, the better.

What did you find about exhaust systems for diesels? If your genset
was below the house, would a 30' stack (to raise the outlet above the
house) work or would it add too much back-pressure? Just curious.

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications
safe_male

lead lined is it nuke powered

I would think it mite over heat with out more air openings
or a fan added some ware
safe male

On 11 Apr 2005 16:42:59 GMT, Ignoramus906
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:31:17 -0400, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Iggy,

I think I would remove, or at least REALLY hide the wheels. For one
thing, too easy to "get gone"; and for another, rubber tires don't
really like static exposure to the environment, especially ozone.
ArmorAll or brake fluid help.

Good point on the wheels. I will, probably, try to cover them with
something for now. This generator is NOT, by any means, easy to
steal. It probably weighs about 800 lbs and is very difficult to move,
is in the back yard behind a fence, etc.

I will give ArmorAll a try.

Have you had a chance to run it in hot weather all covered-up? No
heat problems?

It was about 80 degrees yesterday, and it ran without load for
something like 5 minutes. Soon, on a warm day, I will give it a load
test lasting, perhaps, an hour. I want to see how well the foundation
holds up, whether the genset would overheat, etc.