Larry Jaques

On 11 Apr 2005 13:54:52 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus906
spake:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:22:38 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

I'll bet that if you had made the box around the genset half again
larger that along would have given the same baffling. Do you have all
the openings baffled to the outside?

No, the opening behind the generator (for exhausting cooling air) is
not baffled, and the opening on the left side for air intake is not
baffled either.

Perhaps baffling them would indeed help.

Ayup. Noise travels in a straight line (plus banking off flat
surfaces), and like air and water, seeks the easiest escape.

73/63 dB is still too loud AFAIC. Is this for emergency use only,

Yes, emergency only.

That's good.

or are you going to be using it to go entirely off-grid? IOW, try
running it one night while you try to get to sleep. Your neighbor
might have stronger feelings about it then, too.

Absolutely. There are the following considerations he

1. Most of the time (except cold winter weather), in emergency, I can
turn it off for the night. No big deal. No noise, no problem.

Bueno. (Your neighbors thank you.)

2. As I said, inside my home, it is actually quite reasonable -- it
can be barely heard (at least during the day).

Did you try the sound from your neighbor's house while it was running?
Hopefully they have dual-glazed windows.

When I moved into this house it had single-glazed windows. I know
there was an amazing difference when I installed the dual-glazed units
in my bedroom, the first changed in the whole-house installation.
Noise was cut by 75% and the room warmed up 5° above the rest of the
house within hours. Great! Well worth the $2,200 total fee.

3. If my neighbor needs power, he will have different feelings about
73 dB noise (which his house will, no doubt, attenuate much further).

Verily! g

4. The diesel noise is of the kind that's not very annoying and people
can, after a while, simply ignore it. I used to live in a house right
next to busy tram line, and after a few years, next to a
railroad. After some time, one simply tunes these noises out.

If you were a barking dog's owner and tried to tell that to people who
didn't own pets, you'd most likely get hammered. Yes, steady noises
like generators are easier to get used to, but the low frequency of
the exhaust can be really irritating very quickly if they're loud.
As usual when it comes to noise, the quieter it is, the better.

What did you find about exhaust systems for diesels? If your genset
was below the house, would a 30' stack (to raise the outlet above the
house) work or would it add too much back-pressure? Just curious.

VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications