Larry Jaques

Default Onan generator finally INSTALLED permanently.

On 11 Apr 2005 02:03:28 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus22998
spake:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/ -- general blog
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/z02_Installed/ -- pictures of
the installed generator

Today, my FIL and myself moved the generator into its spot. It is
behind the house, very close to the electrical meter and the panel
inside. It is located next to the deck, which shields most of the
noise.

I measured noise with a sound level meter.

10 ft in front of the generator -- 73 dB.
Across the deck, near house -- 63 dB.
Inside the house -- can be barely heard, with effort

The piece of plywood that is behind the genset, goes in front of it
when the generator is to be run. It reduces noise by whopping 5 dB.

I'll bet that if you had made the box around the genset half again
larger that along would have given the same baffling. Do you have all
the openings baffled to the outside?

73/63 dB is still too loud AFAIC. Is this for emergency use only, or
are you going to be using it to go entirely off-grid? IOW, try running
it one night while you try to get to sleep. Your neighbor might have
stronger feelings about it then, too.

I told my neighbor who is facing the genset that if he needs a power
cord connected to my genset, he could do it.

Good ploy!

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL