Gunner

Default Oil smell in my compressor air

My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Wayne Cook

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:54:38 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

If memory serves me right you've got a Quincy compressor. If so then
I'd say it's time for a rebuild. Probably have to pull it apart and
see how much wear the cylinders have. You can get oversized pistons
and rings for Quincy compressors if it turns out you have to bore the
cylinders.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Tom Gardner

Pull the exaust valve cartriges and clean-up the crap. Check the unloader
circut that uses oil pressure. it might be seeping oil into the head. What
oil are you using? This is a Quincy, right? If not...nevermind!

"Gunner" wrote in message
My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

yourname

check the oil.......

if it is not actually in the process of self destruction, it may be
getting too hot. any new leaks?

Gunner wrote:
My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Grant Erwin

Do you have a manual for your air pump? Many large pumps have a splash oiler,
so some oil in the air is normal. I would call the service guys at a large
local air compressor place, ideally a Quincy service location, and just ask
them. I've had real good luck. Or, you can call Quincy and talk to a smart
guy, a real person.

Most likely it just needs a top end rebuild.

Grant

Wayne Cook

wrote:

My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

If memory serves me right you've got a Quincy compressor. If so then
I'd say it's time for a rebuild. Probably have to pull it apart and
see how much wear the cylinders have. You can get oversized pistons
and rings for Quincy compressors if it turns out you have to bore the
cylinders.

I wonder, why would a well made compressor X last N hours, and a Quincy
would last several times longer. What, specifically, makes a quincy
slower to wear.

They're just built better on several different levels. One thing is
that most of them are pressure lubed on the crank. The cylinders and
pistons are made of better materials and better more robust designs.
The valves are disc valves which are several times better than the
standard reed valve used in most compressors. The compressor itself is
much larger than most similar capacity compressors which tells part of
the story. It's really hard to describe with words. Unless you've been
into several different kinds of compressors you probably wouldn't
notice the differences.

BTW there's a Quincy 270 vacuum compressor in pieces in my shop
right now. I'm still waiting for them to get me the right rings so I
can put it back together. The vacuum models used a completely
different piston and ring setup from standard models. Local oil and
gas companies use these to help pull vacuum on gas wells so they can
increase production. Long term experience has shown that the old style
Quincy compressors hold up better than any others of the same size.
Unfortunately Quincy no longer makes the vac model and may soon be
discontinuing the whole series in favor of more modern higher speed
designs. I know of one local company who has been asked to run a new
model for a test with full logging and returning of the unit when it
quits to see how they hold up.

On the other leg gas companies have had lousy luck with the IR T-30
compressor series when used in the same service. A much lower quality
compressor on many levels in my experience. Which is really a bummer
when the T-30 is considered a good air compressor compared to the
normal units.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Wayne Cook

wrote:

My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

If memory serves me right you've got a Quincy compressor. If so then
I'd say it's time for a rebuild. Probably have to pull it apart and
see how much wear the cylinders have. You can get oversized pistons
and rings for Quincy compressors if it turns out you have to bore the
cylinders.

I wonder, why would a well made compressor X last N hours, and a Quincy
would last several times longer. What, specifically, makes a quincy
slower to wear.

Responding to my own post but I just thought of something that might
help you understand.

A Quincy is made like the engine you have in the your car while most
air compressors are made like a Briggs and Straton engine.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Larry Jaques

On 7 Apr 2005 17:40:55 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus30662
spake:

wrote:

My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Did it just happen, Gunner? What does the drain water look and smell
like?

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

They're an oil-sump pump and it sounds like you have a faulty
oil wiper ring. It's used to scrape the cylinder so not too much oil
gets up above the compression rings and into the system.

Best idea: Rebuild that puppy.

Just get by: Check the oil wiper rings for cracks. R&R as necessary.

If memory serves me right you've got a Quincy compressor. If so then
I'd say it's time for a rebuild. Probably have to pull it apart and
see how much wear the cylinders have. You can get oversized pistons
and rings for Quincy compressors if it turns out you have to bore the
cylinders.

I wonder, why would a well made compressor X last N hours, and a Quincy
would last several times longer. What, specifically, makes a quincy
slower to wear.

They used a better grade of materials and used proper tolerancing +
fitting techniques during the build.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Gunner

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:52:39 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Pull the exaust valve cartriges and clean-up the crap. Check the unloader
circut that uses oil pressure. it might be seeping oil into the head. What
oil are you using? This is a Quincy, right? If not...nevermind!

Its either a Quincey or a early deVilbis. I cant remember...

Does have disk valves. Oil? Hummmm last time it needed oil, I
drained and refilled with ND 30 motor oil. The unloader I think uses
head pressue.

I have another identical compressor on a tank in the back 40 with a
slightest clank when running. User said they ran it out of oil and
replaced it not because it wasnt running, but because they were afraid
it would quit at the worst possible time.

Ill check this weekend. It still pumps up well, but the oil smell
bothers me. I probably should go through it this year. There are two
compressor shops within 1/4 mile of me..and I get Brother in law
prices on parts.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

If memory serves me right you've got a Quincy compressor. If so then
I'd say it's time for a rebuild. Probably have to pull it apart and
see how much wear the cylinders have. You can get oversized pistons
and rings for Quincy compressors if it turns out you have to bore the
cylinders.

I wonder, why would a well made compressor X last N hours, and a Quincy
would last several times longer. What, specifically, makes a quincy
slower to wear.

Responding to my own post but I just thought of something that might
help you understand.

A Quincy is made like the engine you have in the your car while most
air compressors are made like a Briggs and Straton engine.

That says it all! My Quincy, purchased new, is 35 years old and has had a
seal and gasket replaced. It still pumps oil free air and is dead
reliable. 5 horse, 3 phase, 80 gallon tank, on at 150 PSI, off at 175
PSI. They're bullet proof.

Harold

Gunner

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 03:20:09 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I was wondering if you were posting a trick question...do you remember where
the pump is?

Which pump? I have three full sized compressors in the back yard at
the moment. G

Gunner

.. .

"Gunner" wrote in message
My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

do you remember where
the pump is?

On the off end of the crankshaft. Some of these pumps were designed
to pump oil in either direction so that the compressor was reversible,
and it accomplished this by having the outer pump bore rotate a bit,
dragged by friction, which would cover and uncover appropriate ports.
On shutdown the compressor would sometimes rock backwards when it
stopped, rotate the pump body, and there it would stick and give no oil
pressure next time it started. Bit of a shortcoming. The pump is also a
long way above the sump level in larger Quincys, and doesn't prime
well.
Oil "pumping" (oil in the air) is often caused by too much oil
in the case, where the rods strike it and flood the cylinder walls. The
rings hydroplane and oil gets past them. Another factor we experienced
was multigrade oils: they are light oils with viscosity modifiers, and
seem to flash off the cylinder walls quicker and end up in the air.

Dan

Tom Gardner

Dan, I was insinuating that Gunner might not remember where the whole
'effing compressor was. I haven't seen my Quincys in years...I hope
SOMEBODY is maintaining them.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Gunner

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:05:55 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Dan, I was insinuating that Gunner might not remember where the whole
'effing compressor was. I haven't seen my Quincys in years...I hope
SOMEBODY is maintaining them.

Ah! Indeed. Then mine is in the little leanto behind the house
next to the tin building.

I think. Thats where the noise comes from.

Gunner

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:54:38 GMT
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

Use scented oils???

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
D Murphy

pyotr filipivich wrote in
:

Use scented oils???

LOL. A few drops of oil of wintergreen should keep the shop minty fresh.

--

Dan

Question: Septic Smell. Plumbing Pictures Included. A real challenge!!! Marc Home Repair 7 July 13th 05 02:00 AM
getting rid of mold smell Shallow Hal Home Ownership 2 January 30th 05 08:28 PM
wb fireplace smell ADC Home Repair 4 January 20th 05 05:03 PM
Firewood smell in basement when burning wood on first floor. [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 17th 04 04:59 PM
Intermittent sewer smell in bathroom shad Home Repair 2 January 28th 04 03:03 AM