Wayne Cook

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:45:02 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:

On 7 Apr 2005 17:40:55 GMT, Ignoramus30662
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:27:19 -0500, Wayne Cook wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:54:38 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

My air compressor is now emitting air with a very strong oil smell.

Its only 49 yrs old.

What do I do?

If memory serves me right you've got a Quincy compressor. If so then
I'd say it's time for a rebuild. Probably have to pull it apart and
see how much wear the cylinders have. You can get oversized pistons
and rings for Quincy compressors if it turns out you have to bore the
cylinders.

I wonder, why would a well made compressor X last N hours, and a Quincy
would last several times longer. What, specifically, makes a quincy
slower to wear.

Responding to my own post but I just thought of something that might
help you understand.

A Quincy is made like the engine you have in the your car while most
air compressors are made like a Briggs and Straton engine.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook