Arnold H. Hollander

Default Patio Doors

Hi,
I'm planning on having a patio sliding glass door installed. Of the three
manufacturers I checked, Andersen, Pella, and Marvin, Andersen was about
$1000 less than the others. Before I make the decision that makes economic
sense, are there any compelling reasons I should steer clear of Andersen and
spend the extra money?
Thanks.

m Ransley

For dual pane available at HD etc I found Pella was allot cheaper maybe
900 vs 1100 for the Anderson I went with. Pella have the screen on the
inside , that will let in bugs when you open it to close the main door.
Also Anderson condense less, at a higher humidity than my Pella. I am
happy with the Anderson. Maybe you are looking at the higher end Pella
that has triple track and in screen options. Anderson is quality, I just
did not like the screen issue as I hate mosquitos .

Edwin Pawlowski

"Arnold H. Hollander" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning on having a patio sliding glass door installed. Of the three
manufacturers I checked, Andersen, Pella, and Marvin, Andersen was about
$1000 less than the others. Before I make the decision that makes
economic
sense, are there any compelling reasons I should steer clear of Andersen
and
spend the extra money?
Thanks.

All three are good brands. With that much of a difference though, I'd check
to see that it is a comparable model. It may be the "builder's special" and
lack some features or construction details.

AutoTracer

When I replaced my front door from one from HD I found that ordering a door
would incur full price but if it were in stock at that store, the price was
generally much lower. I had to check out 5 stores before I found the model
I wanted in stock but saved 30% in the process.

"Arnold H. Hollander" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning on having a patio sliding glass door installed. Of the three
manufacturers I checked, Andersen, Pella, and Marvin, Andersen was about
$1000 less than the others. Before I make the decision that makes

economic
sense, are there any compelling reasons I should steer clear of Andersen

and
spend the extra money?
Thanks.

Art

Check Lowes and Home Depot prices but also make sure quality is the same.
Stay away from new Pella vinyl covered stuff. Stick with their aluminum
clad or natural wood finish. Are you talking about french patio doors or
sliding doors? I do not like the Andersen metal threshold on their French
patio doors because they get easily dented.

"Arnold H. Hollander" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning on having a patio sliding glass door installed. Of the three
manufacturers I checked, Andersen, Pella, and Marvin, Andersen was about
$1000 less than the others. Before I make the decision that makes
economic
sense, are there any compelling reasons I should steer clear of Andersen
and
spend the extra money?
Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Art" wrote in message

Check Lowes and Home Depot prices but also make sure quality is the same.
Stay away from new Pella vinyl covered stuff.

When I bought my Pella, Home Depot has a lower grade that was available at
the Pella dealer across the street. He would often send people over to look
at them and they would go back to buy the better doors from the dealer.

Art

Yes their sliding doors and vinyl clad windows at Lowes are a cheaper Pella
line but their entrance doors like the French Patio doors are identical
quality with different glass design. I saved a grand at Lowes buying an
entrance door versus the Pella store but I would not buy sliders or windows
at Lowes.