William

Default New Patio Doors Leak!!

I recently bought and installed two sliding glass patio doors for my
beach cottage. I bought them at Home Depot, the plain-jane, inexpensive
ones. They are on the front of the building. Whenever there is a
moderate to heavy rain, the doors leak!! The threshold will fill with
water. It seems to be dripping in where the individual door panels meet.
What should I do? Should I ask Home Depot for my money back, or should I
go after the manufacturer? I am steaming mad about this. The 25 year old
patio doors looked bad, but didn't leak at all.

Your comments welcomed.

Will
ameijers

"William" wrote in message
I recently bought and installed two sliding glass patio doors for my
beach cottage. I bought them at Home Depot, the plain-jane, inexpensive
ones. They are on the front of the building. Whenever there is a
moderate to heavy rain, the doors leak!! The threshold will fill with
water. It seems to be dripping in where the individual door panels meet.
What should I do? Should I ask Home Depot for my money back, or should I
go after the manufacturer? I am steaming mad about this. The 25 year old
patio doors looked bad, but didn't leak at all.

Hard to see from here, but it sounds like you installed them incorrectly,
such that the weep holes to outside world in the lower tracks are blocked.
Hope you flashed the sills correctly, or your decking will be rotting
shortly. Also possible you installed them 'racked', such that the sliding
seal in the middle ain't making it. Call a door'n'window company. or a good
carpenter, to come out and look, and give you a quote to take them apart
and put them back together correctly.

aem sends...

Edwin Pawlowski

--
"William" wrote in message
I recently bought and installed two sliding glass patio doors for my
beach cottage. I bought them at Home Depot, the plain-jane, inexpensive
ones. They are on the front of the building. Whenever there is a
moderate to heavy rain, the doors leak!! The threshold will fill with
water.

Re-read the installation instructions. Did you block or not allow for the
drainage? Did you install the backwards?

Even cheap doors won't leak when new and installed properly.
Ed

Ramjet

"William" wrote in message
I recently bought and installed two sliding glass patio doors for my
beach cottage. I bought them at Home Depot, the plain-jane, inexpensive
ones. They are on the front of the building. Whenever there is a
moderate to heavy rain, the doors leak!! The threshold will fill with
water. It seems to be dripping in where the individual door panels meet.
What should I do? Should I ask Home Depot for my money back, or should I
go after the manufacturer? I am steaming mad about this. The 25 year old
patio doors looked bad, but didn't leak at all.

Your comments welcomed.

Will

check to make sure the "j-seals" (where the 2 panels meet) are interlocking
when the sliding door is closed.
I have purchased a similar door from HD and the seals were put on backwards
at the factory.

SkyBlue

I have standard builder grade sliding patio doors on a porch, protected from
rain. They were "professionally" installed by the builder - backwards. They
leak when I wash the porch with a hose and spray them on purpose. My wife
stands guard inside with a towel while the leaking is in progress. Since
they are backwards, the outside door slides over the inside stationary door,
so there is no way to block it by dropping in a broom handle. Does that
sound like your installation?

We are looking at replacing them and find that some doors are built far
better than others. Since you are beach front, you have special needs. The
cheapest door at HD is not likely to satisfy that location even if installed
correctly. Have you checked dealers serving the beach community for their
recommendations. That would go for the windows as well.

William wrote:

I recently bought and installed two sliding glass patio doors for my
beach cottage. I bought them at Home Depot, the plain-jane, inexpensive
ones. They are on the front of the building. Whenever there is a
moderate to heavy rain, the doors leak!! The threshold will fill with
water. It seems to be dripping in where the individual door panels meet.
What should I do? Should I ask Home Depot for my money back, or should I
go after the manufacturer? I am steaming mad about this. The 25 year old
patio doors looked bad, but didn't leak at all.

Your comments welcomed.

Will

Art Begun

Any chance they are upside down and hardware removable and
re-installable correctly?

"SkyBlue" wrote in message
With your encouragement, I have revisited the problem. The frame

itself
is correct, because the threshold side of the frame is on the

exterior,
and there is a lip around the interior.
However, the doors are mounted wrong. There must have been a left

hand and
right hand model at the time. Picture standing inside, looking at

the
door. The sliding door, on the exterior channel, opens from the

right as
it must for this space. If the doors are swapped, with the slider

on the
inside where it is supposed to be, the door would open from the

left.
Conclusion is that this is a left hand door mounted for a right hand
application, and the doors are forever wrong. This backwards

configuration
is easy pickings for a burglar, so we have pegged them with

removable
bolts. My long term solution will be to replace it with a quality
aluminum clad wood door.

Thanks for your interest.

William wrote:

[...]

Arin

William wrote:

[...]

my $.02

Not able to access this forum regularly (as I'd like to) I find articles
with numerous replies such as this one extremely hard to follow. After
only a few months with usenet groups I can definately see a need for
users to consider others with respect to how they reply. I've also seen
how many defend their 'way' of replying, whether it be on the tiop or
the bottom. I would have to say that this reply is an excellent example
of why top may not be the best.
Being a beginner I found this site helpful.
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usen.../faq_topp.html

Also, for your consideration.
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

wow what is this................ "art" gone wild
trying a different tactic (pleasant) or what?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:46:09 GMT, Ann G wrote:

Not able to access this forum regularly (as I'd like to) I find articles
with numerous replies such as this one extremely hard to follow. After
only a few months with usenet groups I can definately see a need for
users to consider others with respect to how they reply. I've also seen
how many defend their 'way' of replying, whether it be on the tiop or
the bottom. I would have to say that this reply is an excellent example
of why top may not be the best.
Being a beginner I found this site helpful.
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usen.../faq_topp.html

Also, for your consideration.
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

I love you, Ann G. Thank you for encouraging bottom posting, and
allow me to add my personal strong encouragement for MAJOR SNIPPAGE of
relevant posts to include ONLY material to which one wishes to respond
so that the entire thing might possibly stay within a single browser
window.

Bottom posting is the way to go to keep threads consistent and
coherent. Top posting sux.

Art Begun

For anyone using a modern newsreader, top posting is just fine. And
it also works well when using www.google.com and searching the groups
page. The bottom posting recommendations were made when people were
using green screens. If you are still using a DOS or other character
reader I can understand your problem. But it is your problem, not
ours.

wrote in message
news
[...]

Replacement rails for sliding patio doors Steve Wilson UK diy 4 May 8th 04 06:30 PM
Secondary double glazing for patio doors? John Smith UK diy 0 July 20th 03 11:27 PM
Securing patio doors BigWallop UK diy 4 July 19th 03 05:17 PM
Masonite Patio Doors ? Art Begun Home Repair 0 June 25th 03 11:46 PM