JackRabbit

Default Basement heating

Hello,
Anybody out here use electric wall heaters in your finished basements (or
anywhere else for that matter )
I've got three rooms totalling about 600 sq feet. I have forced hot air,
and would tap off of the first floor heating system, but I think that is
probably a waste of hot air when nobody is in the basement.

Curious about your experiences. I remember wall heaters being really ugly
beasts.
Thanks.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:50:15 -0500, someone wrote:

Curious about your experiences. I remember wall heaters being really ugly
beasts.

Can you use regular electric baseboard heater?

m Ransley

You need to calulate a Ng -Kwh comparison. Im in the midwest and
electricity is 230% more than my Ng costs, I just have closable vents on
the furnace.

Edwin Pawlowski

"JackRabbit" wrote in message

I have forced hot air,
and would tap off of the first floor heating system, but I think that is
probably a waste of hot air when nobody is in the basement.

Close the registers when not in use. Electric is expensive to operate in
most areas.

John Gilmer

Close the registers when not in use. Electric is expensive to operate in
most areas.

Good point.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a warmer basement makes the floors
above a little warmer. IOW keeping the basement "confortable" all the time
reduces the heat required on the first floor.

Victor Grund

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"JackRabbit" wrote in message

I have forced hot air,
and would tap off of the first floor heating system, but I think that is
probably a waste of hot air when nobody is in the basement.

Close the registers when not in use. Electric is expensive to operate in
most areas.

So true. I'm also considering tapping into my first floor system, but I
have some concerns about disturbing the pressure balance of the forced
air system. I don't think it's always as simple as adding registers to
existing ducts. I am considering adding an additional HVAC zone for our
rather large basement instead (we have 4 zones already), though this may
be cost prohibitive.

stretch

Contact the National Balancing Institute at www.nationalinstitute.com
or 800-633-7058. They have certified technicians all over the country
in air malancing. They can diagnose pressure problems. MBI can refer
you to a certified contractor in your area.

Stretch