Default Toilet bolt replacement

Do I have to remove the toilet to replace these bolts? They are all
corroded and I want to replace them with stainless steel ones...

"Might be better to leave well enough alone"

I would just replace the nuts and washers with stainless steel, but the
toilet rocks, so presumably at least the one that fell into the hole
needs a new washer and nut. I figure as long as I'm buying parts I can
get enough for both sides so that they both look nice.

Can I even get toilet bolts in stainless steel or will I have to use
regular stainless steel bolt if I replace the bolts. I know toilet
bolts look different...

Mikey S.

I've always used brass toilet bolts ( get them anyplace toilet parts are
sold) and never had a problem, they might come in stainless but those would
be tough to cut off at the toilet after you install them and even tougher to
get out later if you had to remove the toilet. So I suggest brass.
Change the Wax ring while you have the toilet off of course too.

Total investment for this job should be about $5

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Might be better to leave well enough alone"

I would just replace the nuts and washers with stainless steel, but the
toilet rocks, so presumably at least the one that fell into the hole
needs a new washer and nut. I figure as long as I'm buying parts I can
get enough for both sides so that they both look nice.

Can I even get toilet bolts in stainless steel or will I have to use
regular stainless steel bolt if I replace the bolts. I know toilet
bolts look different...

I won't use brass or galvaniged hardware for anything, espically in the
basement or bathroom. If I'm going to go through the trouble I put in
stuff built to last, which does not include things made with flimsy
coatings like brass or galvanized hardware. I don't like seeing rust
all over stuff.

Gina and Les Armstrong

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Might be better to leave well enough alone"

I would just replace the nuts and washers with stainless steel, but the
toilet rocks, so presumably at least the one that fell into the hole
needs a new washer and nut. I figure as long as I'm buying parts I can
get enough for both sides so that they both look nice.

Can I even get toilet bolts in stainless steel or will I have to use
regular stainless steel bolt if I replace the bolts. I know toilet
bolts look different...

The toilet flange may be broken. The bolts slip into a keyhole slot on the
flange. If the flange is broken, you'll need to repair or replace the
flange. While you're at it, you should replace the wax ring as well. Just
remember to not over tighten the flange bolts and crack the porcelain. If
that happens, you'll need a new toilet. I always press the bowl onto the
wax ring with my body weight, hand tighten the bolts, and give maybe a 1/4 -
1/2 turn with the wrench but not much more. If the floor is not level (low
spots, etc), I have seen plumbers set the toilet into a bed of plaster
spread around the flange. The plaster will level out the unevenness and
help keep the toilet fairly level until the plaster sets up. Most properly
installed toilets will move a bit if pushed with enough force, you just want
a good seal between the toilet and the flange. Just remember not to over
tighten the flange bolts, less is definitely more in this situation.

Les

Irregardless of the looks, I still won't put in stuff that's not built
to last like brass or galvanized hardware. I might consider the brass
stuff if it were solid brass, but tha brass coated stuff is crap.

Andy S

wrote in message
ups.com...
I won't use brass or galvaniged hardware for anything, espically in the
basement or bathroom. If I'm going to go through the trouble I put in
stuff built to last, which does not include things made with flimsy
coatings like brass or galvanized hardware. I don't like seeing rust
all over stuff.

Brass does not rust and is not a coating.

Maybe in the past brass was solid, but most of the brass items I see in
the stores is brass coating, even hardware. Don't believe me? Try
hitting it with a wire brush. My car is loaded with these crappy brass
coated bolts. If it doesn't say it's solid brass, I now assume that
it's brass coated.

Mikey S.

Go to your favorite plumbing or home store, Home Depot will work fine.
Go the plumbing aisle..look for toilet bolts aka Johnny bolts.
Pick any of the ones that say "Solid Brass"
Don't pick the ones that say "Brass Plated"
problem solved

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe in the past brass was solid, but most of the brass items I see in
the stores is brass coating, even hardware. Don't believe me? Try
hitting it with a wire brush. My car is loaded with these crappy brass
coated bolts. If it doesn't say it's solid brass, I now assume that
it's brass coated.

Andy S

wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe in the past brass was solid, but most of the brass items I see in
the stores is brass coating, even hardware. Don't believe me? Try
hitting it with a wire brush. My car is loaded with these crappy brass
coated bolts. If it doesn't say it's solid brass, I now assume that
it's brass coated.

True....thoes are brass 'coated'. Any plumbing section in a hardware store
will sell solid brass flange bolts for toilets. Thoes will not rust.

"Pick any of the ones that say "Solid Brass"
Don't pick the ones that say "Brass Plated""

I have the feeling that when I go looking I'm likely to find brass
looking unmarked bolts.

Kathy

wrote in message
ups.com...
If it doesn't say it's solid brass, I now assume that
it's brass coated.

You know what happens when you ASSume....

dadiOH

Travis Jordan wrote:

Brass is an alloy, not a coating.

Brass bolts won't rust. That is why they use brass in thru hull
fittings on boats. It is even more corrosion resistant than 316
stainless, especially in warm climates.

Bronze, not brass. For salt water at least. Brass is an alloy of
copper and zinc, zinc gets eaten up by electrolysis, what's left isn't
pretty.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:

The toilet flange may be broken. The bolts slip into a keyhole slot
on the flange. If the flange is broken, you'll need to repair or
replace the flange.

I wonder if he could get a stainless steel flange?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Travis Jordan

dadiOH wrote:
Bronze, not brass. For salt water at least. Brass is an alloy of
copper and zinc, zinc gets eaten up by electrolysis, what's left isn't
pretty.

Oops - my bad. You're right, of course.

Gina and Les Armstrong

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:

The toilet flange may be broken. The bolts slip into a keyhole slot
on the flange. If the flange is broken, you'll need to repair or
replace the flange.

I wonder if he could get a stainless steel flange?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

Or a brass coated one?

Les

Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
I won't use brass or galvaniged hardware for anything, espically in the
basement or bathroom. If I'm going to go through the trouble I put in
stuff built to last, which does not include things made with flimsy
coatings like brass or galvanized hardware. I don't like seeing rust
all over stuff.

Flange bolts are made with a special head to slide into the flange. I doubt
that you will find a SS model.

If you choose to disregard the correct advice others have given, I hope
you are the person who has the pleasure of sawing your overdone bolts out
when the time comes that it has to be done.

Colbyt

"You love making problems for yourself, don't you? Take a freaking
magnet with you. "

Will a magnet attract solid brass?

In so far as me making problems for myself. I actually reduce problems
for myself by using quality stuff when I make repairs, so I don't have
to do them over repeatedly. Just getting good quality repair parts for
houses is difficult because the mass marketers mostly stock cheap crap
and builders and contractors use only the cheapest quality available
(unless it effects it's appeareance) and most homeowners don't know any
better and just replace in kind.

Since I started using stainless steel hardware I don't have rust or
stripped heads, or heads the break off screws.

G Henslee

dadiOH wrote:
Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:

The toilet flange may be broken. The bolts slip into a keyhole slot
on the flange. If the flange is broken, you'll need to repair or
replace the flange.

I wonder if he could get a stainless steel flange?

To go with the stainless crapper.
G Henslee

You mentioned "looking nice", so I was referring to the covers atop the
bolts, irregardless of what they're made of. To me they look nicer and
more sanitary.

As for the "crappy coated" brass bolts, they will more than likely
outlive you or your use of the terlet.

wrote:
Irregardless of the looks, I still won't put in stuff that's not built
to last like brass or galvanized hardware. I might consider the brass
stuff if it were solid brass, but tha brass coated stuff is crap.

Jeff Wisnia

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:

The toilet flange may be broken. The bolts slip into a keyhole slot
on the flange. If the flange is broken, you'll need to repair or
replace the flange.

I wonder if he could get a stainless steel flange?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

Or a brass coated one?

Les

If ever there was a thread where the expression "gilding a turd" applied
this is the one!

I've never had a problem with brass/bronze toilet hold down bolts
themselves. Over the years most of my angst over toilet hold downs has
been caused by cheap thin steel toilet flanges. If there's any moisture
around, even that caused by washing the floor around a toilet that's not
bedded on plumbers putty, the steel disappears from galvanic corrrosion
where it's in contact with the brass bolts, and the heads of those bolts
pull right through it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Mikey S.

nope..take a look, you will clearly see the better ones are labeled Solid
Brass.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Pick any of the ones that say "Solid Brass"
Don't pick the ones that say "Brass Plated""

I have the feeling that when I go looking I'm likely to find brass
looking unmarked bolts.

Gina and Les Armstrong

wrote in message
oups.com...
Irregardless of the looks, I still won't put in stuff that's not built
to last like brass or galvanized hardware. I might consider the brass
stuff if it were solid brass, but tha brass coated stuff is crap.

Solid brass toilet bolts (snap off). $1.73 at lowes.

http://tinyurl.com/54gek

Two toilet replacement question jjrobinson2 Home Repair 5 August 26th 04 05:02 PM
Toilet Cistern syphon replacement Biggles UK diy 4 August 6th 04 07:56 PM
Toilet replacement Tim Jenkins UK diy 2 December 18th 03 01:07 PM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM
Replacement Toilet BigWallop UK diy 3 July 16th 03 02:05 PM