Jim

Default Installing kitchen cabinets

Am considering getting some new cabinetry for the kitchen this year. To
begin some research I stopped by Home Depot for ideas.

They offer installation as an option should you not have a contractor.
So I asked a very general question: "is there a rule of thumb regarding
the labor to install the cabinets?" The designer woman said that would
be double the price of the cabinets.

So if I pick $3,000 cabinets I figure on $6,000 to have them installed.
And $5,000 cabinets would cost $10,000. All for say the same 10ft wall.
Why should $5,000 cabinets be $4,000 more expensive to install?

Dilemma is I was intending to do much of the prep work myself. Items
like removing old cabinetry, replacing sheetrock, painting, etc. So how
should I approach HD, Lowes, or any other contractor for true bids on
simply installing the stuff?

Being that I'm just getting started I haven't ruled out having the
entire job done. At this point I need to determine the value advantage
of various options.
Mikey S.

If you can replace sheetrock, remove old cabinets, etc ( as you said) and do
some basic construction then you can hang the cabinets yourself too. As
long as you have a helper to assist with the physical work it's really not
that hard at all, I did my own kitchen last year and I just helped my
brother hang his cabinets last week, as long as you take your time and make
sure everything is installed shimmed straight and level it's really an easy
job of screwing them together and to the wall. I really can't understand
the designers pricing on that, it takes pretty much the same work to hang 10
feet of cabinets no matter who made them, so basing the installation cost on
the quality of the cabinets makes no sense at all.
FWIW..I used Thomasville cabinets from HD for my kitchen, with the all
plywood option. I am quite happy with them though with hindsight they were
on the expensive side I think. My brother bought about Kraftmade, also all
plywood, and after installing them both I would use Kraftmade next time,
they were definitely built just a little better and a little less expensive
too.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

AutoTracer

Don't read too much into the generalizations on pricing. It is the same
with most all contractor work. You really do need then to come out and
figure out all the steps before you can have a good quote and even then it
may change once the work starts. There are simply too many variables to
predict price.

In any case. $3000 cabnets should cost about the same as $5000 cabnets to
install all other factors considered equal.

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting, I would have thought the Thomasbille cabinets would have
been constructed better....

Mikey S.

That was the same assumption I made too, but handling them both convinced me
otherwise, the Kraftmade were joined better, heavier materials, and finished
a bit better too. I did have one person tell me that I should have bought
the Thomasville from someplace else than Home D. , supposedly they build
them to a lower standard for the Depot, but I don't know if that's true or
not.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Interesting, I would have thought the Thomasbille cabinets would have
been constructed better....

Clark Griswold

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Just got a price this morning for a 12 x14 L shaped cabinets with countertop
from an independent. $1200. That's with crown molding, etc. I install the
plumbing, electrical.

Junior Member

KRAFTMAID CABINETS
I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING KRAFTMAID TO DEATH. IT IS WHAT I WANT BUT I WANT THE BEST PRICE. HD AND LS DOES HAVE A DIFFERANT COMPISITION THEN CONSUMERS KITCHENS AND BATH. SO BE CAREFUL AND DO YOUR RESEARCH. CHECK ALL THE INFO.
WHAT IS THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE WALLS, FRAMS AND DOORS. YOU DONT WNAT THE ENDS TO HAVE THAT PHOTO PAPER FINISH, SPEND A BIT MORE FOR PLYWOOD. I AM GLAD I READ SOME OF THE POSTINGS BECAUSE NOW I KNOW TO ASK IF THEY ARE FULLY ASSMEBLED AND HINGES ARE DRILLED AND INSTALLED. AND I WOULD NOT PAY TWICE THE PRICE TO HAVE SOMEONE INSTALL. FIND A FRIEND THAT KNOWS WOODWORK AND COULD USE THE MONEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey S.