AutoTracer

Don't read too much into the generalizations on pricing. It is the same
with most all contractor work. You really do need then to come out and
figure out all the steps before you can have a good quote and even then it
may change once the work starts. There are simply too many variables to
predict price.

In any case. $3000 cabnets should cost about the same as $5000 cabnets to
install all other factors considered equal.

"Jim" wrote in message
Am considering getting some new cabinetry for the kitchen this year. To
begin some research I stopped by Home Depot for ideas.

They offer installation as an option should you not have a contractor.
So I asked a very general question: "is there a rule of thumb regarding
the labor to install the cabinets?" The designer woman said that would
be double the price of the cabinets.

So if I pick $3,000 cabinets I figure on $6,000 to have them installed.
And $5,000 cabinets would cost $10,000. All for say the same 10ft wall.
Why should $5,000 cabinets be $4,000 more expensive to install?

Dilemma is I was intending to do much of the prep work myself. Items
like removing old cabinetry, replacing sheetrock, painting, etc. So how
should I approach HD, Lowes, or any other contractor for true bids on
simply installing the stuff?

Being that I'm just getting started I haven't ruled out having the
entire job done. At this point I need to determine the value advantage
of various options.