Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default remodeling kitchen. what to do about floor and cabinets.

im about to remodel my kitchen. i want to get a golden oak floor,
golden oak cabinets and a dark solid surface counter top with stainless
steel appliances. can you put the same color oak cabinets and floor in
a kitchen, or will it look bad. i was told to have a contrast between
the floor and cabinets. i also have a oak kitchen table and chairs. i
really dont know how to contrast the cabinets vs the floor. do i need
darker oak cabinets or different woods all together?

Mike

I would advise against wood flooring in the kitchen based on personal
experience. But, if you insist, make sure you top coat with something
that is very resistant to water. Seems like lighter flooring would be
better since you are going with dark countertops and people generally
like a brighter kitchen. Maybe double coat the stain on the cabinets
and single coat of stain on the floors. I think matching the floor to
the cabinets would look strange, but I've seen worse.

wrote:
im about to remodel my kitchen. i want to get a golden oak floor,
golden oak cabinets and a dark solid surface counter top with

stainless
steel appliances. can you put the same color oak cabinets and floor

in
a kitchen, or will it look bad. i was told to have a contrast between
the floor and cabinets. i also have a oak kitchen table and chairs. i
really dont know how to contrast the cabinets vs the floor. do i need
darker oak cabinets or different woods all together?

why would you advise agains wood floors in kitchen. im also considering
ceramic tile, which might be better.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
ups.com...
why would you advise agains wood floors in kitchen. im also considering
ceramic tile, which might be better.

dishwasher floods. icemaker sink floods. lots of chances of water damage.

tile is hard to stand on for long periods. you might try cork, which is
softer and warmer than tile.

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Charles Spitzer wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
why would you advise agains wood floors in kitchen. im also considering
ceramic tile, which might be better.

dishwasher floods. icemaker sink floods. lots of chances of water damage.

True, but this is true no matter which surface you choose. Even tile is
not going to withstand this if the subfloor is wooden since grout will
allow water through it - or, rather, if you mop it up then it doesn't matter
if it is wood, tile, or whatever.

Dimitri

Charles Spitzer

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote in message
In article ,
Charles Spitzer wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...
why would you advise agains wood floors in kitchen. im also considering
ceramic tile, which might be better.

dishwasher floods. icemaker sink floods. lots of chances of water damage.

True, but this is true no matter which surface you choose. Even tile is
not going to withstand this if the subfloor is wooden since grout will
allow water through it - or, rather, if you mop it up then it doesn't
matter
if it is wood, tile, or whatever.

Dimitri

true. thinking mostly of here, where 99%+ are 1 level concrete slabs.

my last house i tiled and replaced the baseboards with tile. i could pretty
much hose it out instead of vacuuming.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Mike

Water and wood don't seem to agree. You will have a small amount of
water hit the floor when doing any handwashing and when cooking there
is an amount of splatter that would be best handled by some ceramic
tile. The water will eventually get through the topcoat and raise the
grain and/or distort the wood. Unless you feel comfortable topcoating
when needed. I like a low maintenance floor like tile. I don't know
that it is any more uncomfortable to stand on than wood as someone else
mentioned but I don't stand in the kitchen long enough to find out.

wrote:
why would you advise agains wood floors in kitchen. im also

considering
ceramic tile, which might be better.

Charles Spitzer

"Mark" wrote in message
Laminate wood floors eliminate the problems of minor splashes.

Mine looks like the day I installed it almost 4 years ago. Lots of spills
and
accidents in that time span. I just drop a kitchen towel/cloth on the
floor
and wipe up the incidental water with my feet.

You certainly wouldn't just leave it there if it was tile.....would you?

no, but i could. also, if the dog knocks over the water bowl in the morning,
it'll still be there in the evening. if it was wood, it would have sunk in
or under.

and i can't tell you how many times having tile underneath my sal****er
tanks saved a lot of cleanup time and expense.

wrote:
why would you advise agains wood floors in kitchen. im also

considering
ceramic tile, which might be better.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
My designer told me that the stain colors have to contrast. The woods
do not have to be different, though.

they don't HAVE to do anything. they can do whatever you like. if it's not a
rental, design the house for yourself, not the next owner.

My new kitchen has medium honey-colored maple cabinets and oak floors
with a Minwax stain color called Provincial.

Hope this helps.

On 8 Feb 2005 12:01:13 -0800, someone wrote:

My designer told me that the stain colors have to contrast. The woods
do not have to be different, though.

a kitchen, or will it look bad. i was told to have a contrast...

OK so you have been TOLD directly, and now you have been TOLD what
someobdy else says somebody else TOLD them....need to be told any
more? This is a matter of taste, NOT of building code, structural
engineering or other FACTUAL matter. Its for you, not for us, none of
us will ever see your kitchen floor or cabinets. If you want same
wood, do you need our permission to get it?

Mike

Well the average homeowner lives in a residence on average about 5-7
years so it is always good to poll the general populace on what is
normally acceptable as far as design goes. Almost every home is going
to be sold at one point or another so it is always good to design the
home with the thought that you may want to sell it someday and you
don't want an investment of time and money to actually hurt the value
of your home. I think he posed a good question that many new DIY'ers
may be interested in. Although the wood flooring in a kitchen is a
matter of common sense not taste, IMHO.

Berating someone for asking opinions is not a good way to build a
friendly newsgroup. But, I guess that's a matter of taste also. Or is
that tact?