Gina and Les Armstrong

Default Painting outdoor gas line

I recently had a gas line run to my fireplace for a gas log set. There is
about 2 or 3 feet of pipe on the outside of the hose leading from the
basement to the fireplace. The installer said to paint the pipe with a good
exterior paint. My questions a will rust inhibitor painted onto the
pipe prior to priming and painting cause problems with the dope/sealant used
on the pipe fittings? Will the paint itself cause problems with the
dope/sealant? Should I just skip the rust inhibitor and wire brush the
surface rust and prime and paint?

Thanks in advance,

Les

m Ransley

If black pipe prime and paint, Is it black pipe .

Gina and Les Armstrong

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If black pipe prime and paint, Is it black pipe .

Yes, black pipe.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

If the pipe is black pipe, it will rust sittin on the shelf.

To the OP. Sounds stupid, but check with your local code enforcement. here,
the pipe if painted must be bright yellow, OR MUST have gas decals every 5
feet if its any color but yellow and exposed. if you have only a couple of
feet, and wanted to paint it, I would suggest getting at least one decal on
it, or a hang tag and have it on the line. Sounds stupid, but it can
actually be an issue with inspectors, particularly if you go to sell the
home.

SJF

"Gina and Les Armstrong" wrote in
message ...
I recently had a gas line run to my fireplace for a gas log set. There is
about 2 or 3 feet of pipe on the outside of the hose leading from the
basement to the fireplace. The installer said to paint the pipe with a

good
exterior paint. My questions a will rust inhibitor painted onto the
pipe prior to priming and painting cause problems with the dope/sealant

used
on the pipe fittings? Will the paint itself cause problems with the
dope/sealant? Should I just skip the rust inhibitor and wire brush the
surface rust and prime and paint?

Thanks in advance,

Les

Gas company recently installed new line into my house. The last bit of the
job was to spray paint the pipe with Machine Gray Krylon. No primer. They
left an empty behind which gave me a positive ID. --- SJF