Me

Default Update phone line for DSL?

I have been having trouble hooking up my DSL and am wondering if it is
due to old phone lines. The tech support folks can't test the outside
line until Tuesday and they seem to think everything is fine. I'm
thinking it may be the quality of the line inside the house itself.

The house is from 1942 and the phone lines are probably pretty old.
Does there have to be a certain type of phone line in the house for
DSL to work? The line sounds clean when you use the phone, but I'm
not sure whether or not DSL only works on 'modern' lines.

The tech guys asked me to plug the modem directly into the telephone
box outside, but I don't have one! The line comes from the road and
enters a plain junction box outside above the front door, and then
goes into the house.

Should I bother rewiring the inside of the house with newer phone
line? Or shouldn't it matter? In the meantime, I am paying for DSL
that I can not use!

Thanks,
Steve
Wayne

wire in a jack outside and run an extension cord outside to go around the
wiring in your house if you wan to check. Tuesday is not far away. Do you
get the link that shows a DSL signal at all?

I had one friend where I spent over an hour trying to get DSL to work only
to discover it was not wired to the right place?

Wayne

"Me" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Tony Hwang

Me wrote:
[...]

Hi,
What is the symptom with the DSL modem?
Installed filters togo with it?
You mean it does not work at all?
Tony
Greg

They told me to run a twisted pair wiring method inside the house. You are
probably using the standard "JK" that is not twisted and won't carry much
bandwidth. CAT3 (sometimes called "2 line" wire at the home store) will work
but CAT5e is about the same price and a lot better cable.
Wa6tkq

I have been having trouble hooking up my DSL and am wondering if it is due to
old phone lines.

Do you have any other devices plugged into your phone lines? Telephones,
answering machines, security alarm lines, satellite tv boxes, TIVO boxes? If
so, they have to be unplugged or isolated with a filter.
J T

If your phone works fine, chances are it isn't your inside wiring. DSL can
run on a single pair of 24 gauge wire. Older wiring is probably bigger - and
there's nothing smaller used for phones. It doesn't need to be a twisted
pair to work effectively, especially at the distances likely involved in
your house. Most of the point of twisted pairs is to reduce crosstalk among
other pairs in the same cable, but you probably only have one (if you have
one phone line).

I've had numerous DSL problems over the years and although the providers
will always tell you it's your fault, it probably isn't. I would either get
the phone company to install a network device (which they will probably do
for free in most places) so you have an easy access outside your house, or
just go to Radio Shack and get whatever you need to put a jack where the
line enters the house. This way you can verify for yourself that it's not a
problem with your wiring.

"Me" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Me

The DSL modem is properly connected. It's power light and ethernet
link light stay on.....the one that is not on is the DSL sync light.
There are filters on the phone lines.
There are no other devices linked into any of the lines.
My 56k dial-up modem worked fine on the existing phone lines.

It sounds like the line inside the house is not the problem. I will
try a direct connection to the outside.

S.
William Brown

When I had mine put in quite a few years ago, all of the problems were
within the local phone company's wiring, and my house is quite older
than yours. At that time, DST service was sold by an ISP, but the local
phone company had to handle their own lines, and coordination between
the two was a hassle. Apparently, the phone company didn't have up to
date information on how their lines were routed, and my service wouldn't
work until they rerouted through certain switches and lines.

Incidentally, when the phone company came out, I didn't have the
connection box outside my house, so they put one in. I gather they do
it at no charge, but only when they have some other reason to come to
your house.

Me wrote:

[...]

there.

Tony Hwang

Me wrote:

The DSL modem is properly connected. It's power light and ethernet
link light stay on.....the one that is not on is the DSL sync light.
There are filters on the phone lines.
There are no other devices linked into any of the lines.
My 56k dial-up modem worked fine on the existing phone lines.

It sounds like the line inside the house is not the problem. I will
try a direct connection to the outside.

S.

Hi,
Is the modem known good?
I live in a city of million, never heard DSL modem not working
because of wiring quality. If dial up modem worked, wires are
OK in your house. Phone co. has an ability to test the loop from
their end.
Tony
Me

Thanks for the insight, everyone. Very helpful.
S.
bill a

Do you have a splitter at every (in-use) phone jack?
Bill
om...