gary

Default Another wiring question

Rewiring an old house to put more plug ins etc. Fishing wire down the walls
to the basement. Now I have a bunch of wires I want to put on a few
circuits. I want to run wires from breakers to a large junction box, then
tie the wires together in there that will go to each circuit. As long as I
don't go over the boxes rating for wires, can more than one circuit be
served by one box? Or should I have a separate box for each circuit?

I did a net search for this and only found one post where a fellow said it
was ok if you put a warning on the box cover that it is served by more than
one breaker.

I want this to be to code.

TIA
Gary

gary

Also found one fellow who said he was an electrician and said that all power
to that junction box must be killed by the flipping of a breaker. So it
could only service a maximum of two breakers that were tied together.

"gary" wrote in message
Rewiring an old house to put more plug ins etc. Fishing wire down the
walls to the basement. Now I have a bunch of wires I want to put on a few
circuits. I want to run wires from breakers to a large junction box, then
tie the wires together in there that will go to each circuit. As long as
I don't go over the boxes rating for wires, can more than one circuit be
served by one box? Or should I have a separate box for each circuit?

I did a net search for this and only found one post where a fellow said it
was ok if you put a warning on the box cover that it is served by more
than one breaker.

I want this to be to code.

TIA
Gary

xrongor

just as a side note, whenever i have to get into something, i write the
breaker number on the inside of the plate. makes it easy later.

randy

"xrongor" wrote in message
seems wise nonetheless...

randy

gary wrote:
Rewiring an old house to put more plug ins etc. Fishing wire down the
walls to the basement. Now I have a bunch of wires I want to put on a
few circuits. I want to run wires from breakers to a large junction
box, then tie the wires together in there that will go to each circuit.
As long as I don't go over the boxes rating for wires, can more than one
circuit be served by one box? Or should I have a separate box for each
circuit?

I did a net search for this and only found one post where a fellow said
it was ok if you put a warning on the box cover that it is served by
more than one breaker.

I want this to be to code.

TIA
Gary

SQLit

"gary" wrote in message
Rewiring an old house to put more plug ins etc. Fishing wire down the

walls
to the basement. Now I have a bunch of wires I want to put on a few
circuits. I want to run wires from breakers to a large junction box, then
tie the wires together in there that will go to each circuit. As long as

don't go over the boxes rating for wires, can more than one circuit be
served by one box? Or should I have a separate box for each circuit?

I did a net search for this and only found one post where a fellow said it
was ok if you put a warning on the box cover that it is served by more

than
one breaker.

I want this to be to code.

TIA
Gary

The amount of time and expense compared with the cost of the wire, it might
be easier to run all of the wires back to the panel. I believe you should
consider professional help on the lay out. Might save you a lot of money and
headaches later

Jeff Cochran

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 06:18:14 GMT, "gary"
wrote:

Rewiring an old house to put more plug ins etc. Fishing wire down the walls
to the basement. Now I have a bunch of wires I want to put on a few
circuits. I want to run wires from breakers to a large junction box, then
tie the wires together in there that will go to each circuit. As long as I
don't go over the boxes rating for wires, can more than one circuit be
served by one box? Or should I have a separate box for each circuit?

I did a net search for this and only found one post where a fellow said it
was ok if you put a warning on the box cover that it is served by more than
one breaker.

I want this to be to code.

Code doesn't specify, but your local jurisdiction may have an
interpretation that does. The NEC doesn't require a warning, but it's
not a bad idea. I'd label the box with the breaker numbers. But
personally, I'd use one box per circuit anyway.

Jeff
gary

"SQLit" wrote in message

"gary" wrote in message
[...]

I don't need professional help with a layout. I have a code book and they
give circuit runs for a sample house. I don't think you under stand what I
am doing. I am running wires from the upper floor and attic to the basement
to put new wires in for plugs, light switches and ceiling lights. Often it
is MUCH easier to run a wire from each box right to the basement and then
tie wires together and then run one wire every so often as dependent on what
one circuit will draw back to the breaker box. I do this because to have to
run a wire to the basement from a box and then back up to the next box and
then back down, would probably more than double the time it is taking me to
drop a wire each time. I am connecting the wires in accessible metal boxes
with less wire and marrets than the code allows and covering with a metal
plates. No headaches - I just wanted to know if I can run more than one
circuit in a junction box as my code book does not address it. From the
one circuit. I know what I did, but the next homeowner will not.

Porky

Small boxes are cheap. Use a separate box for each circuit. It's normal
to make the junctions at a light or wall receptacle, by running the
wire farther out. Don't forget a new owner or a tenant won't be aware
of your wiring tricks. He'll think flipping one breaker will make him
safe.

JohnK

Porky

gary wrote:
Thx John, that is what I decided to do, just made up my list for Home

Depot
tomorrow.

OK then, and remember junction boxes are not allowed to be closed in,
covered up in any way, which is why inspectors don't like them,
especially in an unfinished area, where the temptation will be to
drywall right over them later on. Eventual corrosion of the wire ends
is probably the concern there. So it is always best to pull more wire
through and go to an outlet, where your junctions will always be
accessible. Cheers.

JohnK

Oscar_Lives

"gary" wrote in message
[...]

code book does not address it. From the responses it seems like it is
allowed, but I think I will use one box for one circuit. I know what I
did, but the next homeowner will not.

You should install a sub-panel in the upper floor.

Get an electrician to do the job-- you sound way over your head.

You should install a sub-panel in the upper floor.

Get an electrician to do the job-- you sound way over your head.

What did he say that would lead you to believe either of these things. It
sounds to me like he knows EXACTLY what he is doing and is making wise
decisions.
Duane Bozarth

gary wrote:
...- I just wanted to know if I can run more than one
circuit in a junction box as my code book does not address it. From the
one circuit. I know what I did, but the next homeowner will not.

If you label them (which you'll almost have to do anyway or pull and
connect them separately) then you'll plus anyone else can tell at any
time....as long as you have large enough boxes for the number of wires,
sounds fine.