John H

Default Noise proofing

Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be done to
combat the low base from stereos. Do noise reducing batts have any effect? I
think having your own music playing quietly may help.
John

Joseph Meehan

John H wrote:
Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be
done to combat the low base from stereos. Do noise reducing batts
have any effect? I think having your own music playing quietly may
help.
John

http://www.soundproofing.org/

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well.
(Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block
sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

It depends, are you complaining or is your neighbor complaining

John H

I'm complaining.
John
"m Ransley" wrote in message
It depends, are you complaining or is your neighbor complaining

127.0.0.1

"John H" wrote in message ...
Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be done
combat the low base from stereos. Do noise reducing batts have any effect?
think having your own music playing quietly may help.
John

try asking your neighbor politely to turn it down.

-a|ex

Steve Manes

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:30:39 +1300, "John H"
wrote:

Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be done to
combat the low base from stereos. Do noise reducing batts have any effect?

Speaking as both a bass player and former recording studio
owner/builder, no. Bass is usually structurally-borne noise. Bass
frequencies carry ~10x the energy of midrange frequencies and aren't
treatable by things like acoustic insulation except in deep, specially
designed bass traps.

I used to have a loft two floors under a NYC after-hours club so I've
got a bit of experience with your problem. The owner was cooperative
(he had no choice -- his club was illegal). I fixed the problem by
building a plywood platform with vibration isolators as feet. He had
mammoth speakers sitting on the floor so your situation is a lot
easier, possibly as easy as just getting him to move the speakers off
the floor.

If that doesn't work, you can pick up vibration isolation mats from a
vibration control supplier like http://www.novibes.com/. Weigh the
speaker first and buy the appropriate PSI mat.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
Don Phillipson

"John H" wrote in message ...

I do that and it works 90% of the time, but I have a different set of
tenants next door each year and I worry that I'll get really bad ones some
day.

So write a maximum noise level (in decibels)
into the lease, as any owner/co-occupier can do.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

jeffc

"John H" wrote in message ...
Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be done

combat the low base from stereos.

It's "bass". Are you talking about aparments or detached houses? You can
read "Guide to High End Audio" by Harley, which addresses some of these
issues.

jeffc

"John H" wrote in message ...
Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be done

combat the low base from stereos. Do noise reducing batts have any effect?

think having your own music playing quietly may help.

Let me know if this helps and we can go from there. You haven't described
your exact situation
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/35/index.html

Steve Manes

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:31:44 +1300, "John H"
wrote:

These are detached houses. Wood framed, with gib-board inside and pine
sidings (weatherboards) in my case, cement board in their case.

Nevertheless, what's almost certainly happening is that the bass is
coupling with the building's structure and making it resonate like a
big passive speaker.

There are two main ways to deal with bass noise. One is with mass,
like a concrete wall. Some recording studios even line control room
walls with lead sheets made for X-ray rooms because it's more weight
for the bass energy to have to move. The other is by decoupling the
source from the structure, essentially making the bass have to move
through the air, which is a great shock aborber (Michael Rettinger's
"perfect sound absorber" is an open window). Studios also use this
approach by floating control rooms and using all sorts of trick
hardware, like vibration-isolating water pipe connectors, to contain
the energy. But you can accomplish some of that by simply floating
the speakers.

The only thing I can think which might help on your end is to replace
your windows with sound-absorbing units, which is incredibly
expensive. These work in part by using a glass thickness which isn't
an even multiple of common window glass, which therefore attentuates
harmonic resonance from your neighbor's vibrating windows. Again, a
recording studio trick.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
Alan

"John H" wrote in message ...
Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be done

combat the low base from stereos. Do noise reducing batts have any effect?

think having your own music playing quietly may help.
John

Cheapest solution - Contact you local police department and ask what the
noise regulations are. If the neighbors are violating the ordinance, call
the cops (non 911 number), and ask them to come out. The neighbors won't
know who called (unless they have a friend at the police department).

Artisan saw noise Dave W Woodworking 2 January 29th 05 02:11 PM
Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise Quddus UK diy 5 June 28th 04 10:09 AM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM
noise when running hot water. steve UK diy 2 December 5th 03 08:17 PM
Microwave interferes with AM radio TOM KAN PA Home Repair 8 August 4th 03 12:31 AM