Steve Manes

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:30:39 +1300, "John H"
wrote:

Apart from dealing with the neighbors, is there anything that can be done to
combat the low base from stereos. Do noise reducing batts have any effect?

Speaking as both a bass player and former recording studio
owner/builder, no. Bass is usually structurally-borne noise. Bass
frequencies carry ~10x the energy of midrange frequencies and aren't
treatable by things like acoustic insulation except in deep, specially
designed bass traps.

I used to have a loft two floors under a NYC after-hours club so I've
got a bit of experience with your problem. The owner was cooperative
(he had no choice -- his club was illegal). I fixed the problem by
building a plywood platform with vibration isolators as feet. He had
mammoth speakers sitting on the floor so your situation is a lot
easier, possibly as easy as just getting him to move the speakers off
the floor.

If that doesn't work, you can pick up vibration isolation mats from a
vibration control supplier like http://www.novibes.com/. Weigh the
speaker first and buy the appropriate PSI mat.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs