Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Frank J Warner

Default How can a toilet come loose like this?

Toilet is at least 25 years old. One of the good ones, with big tank
and lots of flushing power. Sits on a concrete slab floor, vinyl tile.
Never had a problem with it beyond a few minor leaks, replacing the
float & fill mechanism, etc. Rarely clogged.

So, the other day, I accidentally bumped against it and it MOVED a good
half inch on the floor.

I checked the flange bolts and they are loose as can be. I can actually
pick the bowl up about 1/4 inch off the floor and set it back down. I
haven't taken the bolt covers off yet, so I don't know exactly what the
problem might be.

Going to HD on my lunch hour to get a new wax ring and flange kit. Will
fix this weekend. But I'm curious about how something that has been so
secure for so long can suddenly start to move around like this.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work: