Doug

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:17:15 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Frank J Warner wrote:
...But I'm curious about how something that has been so
secure for so long can suddenly start to move around like this.

I suspect it isn't sudden at all, but you just applied the last bit to
break it loose....

I suspect either the bolts have corroded through or the concrete has
spalled to let the bolt loose...

Unless that toilet is REALLY old (pre-1940 or so), the mounting bolts
are never set into the concrete. They are set thru the ears or flanges
of the closet flange - the top fo the drain pipe.

In many cases of looseness, either the bolts have rusted or the ears
have broken or cracked on the flange.

There are reinforcing kits sold that mount behind the flange . New
bolts would be inserted thru these reinforcing paltes.

Doug