chester

Default GFCI outlets in kitchen

I am replacing my outlets in the kitchen to GFCI (w/stainless steel
countertops I thought it might be a good idea...). I know 20A GFCI
outlets are now code in kitchens. Can anyone tell me if the outlets
serving the microwave (above stove, plugged in inside cabinet), fridge
and stove need to be GFCI outlets? These outlets will be used
exclusively for these appliances, and will not be accessible via the
countertop. Thanks.
chester

chester wrote:
I am replacing my outlets in the kitchen to GFCI (w/stainless steel
countertops I thought it might be a good idea...). I know 20A GFCI
outlets are now code in kitchens. Can anyone tell me if the outlets
serving the microwave (above stove, plugged in inside cabinet), fridge
and stove need to be GFCI outlets? These outlets will be used
exclusively for these appliances, and will not be accessible via the
countertop. Thanks.

I have read that it is now allowed by code to replace non-grounded
outlets with GFCI three prong outlets. I have am outlet behide the
fridge that is a two prong (20A). I was considering bringing in a ground
wire, but it would be a considerable hassle. Would it be OK to plug in
my fridge to a GFCI outlet that does not have a ground? Seems any
current leakage problems would be solved by the GFCI, but is there a
quality issue that necessitates a ground when operating the fridge? thx
Doug Miller

In article , chester wrote:

I have read that it is now allowed by code to replace non-grounded
outlets with GFCI three prong outlets. I have am outlet behide the
fridge that is a two prong (20A). I was considering bringing in a ground
wire, but it would be a considerable hassle. Would it be OK to plug in
my fridge to a GFCI outlet that does not have a ground? Seems any
current leakage problems would be solved by the GFCI, but is there a
quality issue that necessitates a ground when operating the fridge? thx

NOT a good idea. If the GFCI trips, what happens to your food?

--
Regards,

RBM

Only countertop outlets in the kitchen are required to be GFCI
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , chester
wrote:

I have read that it is now allowed by code to replace non-grounded
outlets with GFCI three prong outlets. I have am outlet behide the
fridge that is a two prong (20A). I was considering bringing in a ground
wire, but it would be a considerable hassle. Would it be OK to plug in
my fridge to a GFCI outlet that does not have a ground? Seems any
current leakage problems would be solved by the GFCI, but is there a
quality issue that necessitates a ground when operating the fridge? thx

NOT a good idea. If the GFCI trips, what happens to your food?

--
Regards,

m Ransley

A Gfi tripped on my frige so I removed it , it is common I have heard,
plus your food can spoil. It not recommended on the frige.

A microwave is well insulated I dont see it as necessary.

RBM

The fact that the refrigerator outlet is not a grounding type, doesn't
necessarily mean that there isn't a ground present. If the cable type is AC
(BX) armored cable you have a ground and just need to attach a ground wire
from the box to a grounded outlet
wrote:

I have read that it is now allowed by code to replace non-grounded
outlets with GFCI three prong outlets. I have am outlet behide the
fridge that is a two prong (20A). I was considering bringing in a ground
wire, but it would be a considerable hassle. Would it be OK to plug in
my fridge to a GFCI outlet that does not have a ground? Seems any
current leakage problems would be solved by the GFCI, but is there a
quality issue that necessitates a ground when operating the fridge? thx

NOT a good idea. If the GFCI trips, what happens to your food?

--
Regards,

Do not put a GFCI in for your refrigerator. It is not required by code
for a refrigerator, and not recommended for any appliance.

Do not put a GFCI in for your refrigerator. It is not required by code
for a refrigerator, and not recommended for any appliance.

Brian O

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do not put a GFCI in for your refrigerator. It is not required by code
for a refrigerator, and not recommended for any appliance.

Firstly one needs to remember why GFCI outlets are required in certain areas
in the first place. That is for protection from some appliance or other
electrical device that is plugged into the GFCI plug if that appliance
happens to fall into a sink full of water. Having said that, I don't believe
a refrigerator is in any danger of falling into a sink full of water. Plugs
on countertops on either side of the sink should be GFCI, even if not
required by code. But you MUST do the minimum code requirements. GFCI plugs
in other areas that do not have a viable possibility of coming in contact
with water either from rain or from a sink do not need to be there.

Goedjn

I have read that it is now allowed by code to replace non-grounded
outlets with GFCI three prong outlets. I have am outlet behide the
fridge that is a two prong (20A). I was considering bringing in a ground
wire, but it would be a considerable hassle. Would it be OK to plug in
my fridge to a GFCI outlet that does not have a ground? Seems any

SInce nobody else has mentioned it yet, if you put in a GFCI on a
non-grounded circut, you are required to label the receptical
"no equipment ground", or something like that.

The Real Tom

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:17:39 -0800, chester
wrote:

I am replacing my outlets in the kitchen to GFCI (w/stainless steel
countertops I thought it might be a good idea...). I know 20A GFCI

Actually the branch feeders only have to be 20A, and the GFCI's can be
15A(with 20A) passthru.

outlets are now code in kitchens. Can anyone tell me if the outlets
serving the microwave (above stove, plugged in inside cabinet), fridge
and stove need to be GFCI outlets? These outlets will be used
exclusively for these appliances, and will not be accessible via the
countertop. Thanks.

I recall the code saying if you have outlets not serving the counter
top, having dedicated loads(refridge, etc), and aren't readily
accessible, then you can omitt the gfci requirement.

In no way take this as fact, you need to reference the code, and find
out if your local authority inacted further restrictions.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com