chester

chester wrote:
I am replacing my outlets in the kitchen to GFCI (w/stainless steel
countertops I thought it might be a good idea...). I know 20A GFCI
outlets are now code in kitchens. Can anyone tell me if the outlets
serving the microwave (above stove, plugged in inside cabinet), fridge
and stove need to be GFCI outlets? These outlets will be used
exclusively for these appliances, and will not be accessible via the
countertop. Thanks.

I have read that it is now allowed by code to replace non-grounded
outlets with GFCI three prong outlets. I have am outlet behide the
fridge that is a two prong (20A). I was considering bringing in a ground
wire, but it would be a considerable hassle. Would it be OK to plug in
my fridge to a GFCI outlet that does not have a ground? Seems any
current leakage problems would be solved by the GFCI, but is there a
quality issue that necessitates a ground when operating the fridge? thx