Junior Member

Unhappy Stove Rain Hood / Exhust Fan installation problem

I have a stove rain hood or exhaust fan some people call it. It has been installed when we moved in a few years ago. The fan only has a filter and the heat/air comes back out into the kiten and doesn't go outside. There is no way to make a vent go up to the roof, but I can add a vent going through the side of the house throught the bricks. I know how to do many handy repair jobs around the house, however I need some help on doing this sort of project. Attaching a vent to go outside to the side of the house to the brick. The rain hood is a Broan Model 48000. Can anyone recommend me a good site that will teach me how exactly to install the vent to attach to the exaust fan? thank you.

mjatas
Tony Hwang

mjatas wrote:
I have a stove rain hood or exhaust fan some people call it. It has been
installed when we moved in a few years ago. The fan only has a filter
and the heat/air comes back out into the kiten and doesn't go outside.
There is no way to make a vent go up to the roof, but I can add a vent
going through the side of the house throught the bricks. I know how to
do many handy repair jobs around the house, however I need some help on
doing this sort of project. Attaching a vent to go outside to the side
of the house to the brick. The rain hood is a Broan Model 48000. Can
anyone recommend me a good site that will teach me how exactly to
install the vent to attach to the exaust fan? thank you.

mjatas

Hi,
I think you need vented hood not the one you have now which is
recirculating type.
Tony
Colbyt

--
mjatas

Yours may be different but all of these that I have seen offer 2 options, up
or back through the wall.

I have installed a few of them over the years and don't think that any field
engineering will allow it to vent to the side.

I'm don't even know if the 48000 model can be ducted.

Colbyt

Curly Sue

Just as a general answer, without knowing anything about your
particular hood, Lowe's website has some animated DIY instructions,
including one on how to install a range hood, including venting
through a brick wall. There is one mistake in their menu (i.e., the
option for horizontal venting is mislabeled as "roof venting.").

Although I didn't do the installation myself, these directions gave me
the knowledge to figure out what sort of help I needed at which stage
to install a Broan Allure III, because I initially couldn't find a
contractor to do the whole thing. As far as punching through the
brick wall, I had masons who were working on something else for me cut
out the brick and fit the wall cap, although I had to make the
measurements to tell them where it should go. I pencilled the cut on
the inside wood and they made a centering hole from the inside. The
directions on the Lowe's site though do give some suggestions for DIY.

BTW, if you need a custom duct (I couldn't find a local source for
rectangular duct to fit the damper adaptor on the hood), try an air
conditioning installer. They make their own ducts and if they have
time, may be willing to make one to your specifications. Also sheet
metal shops, although a lot of them won't work with residential
customers. I also ordered a nice Broan wall cap because the ones in
local stores were cheap looking.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:56:55 +0000, mjatas
wrote:

I have a stove rain hood or exhaust fan some people call it. It has been
installed when we moved in a few years ago. The fan only has a filter
and the heat/air comes back out into the kiten and doesn't go outside.
There is no way to make a vent go up to the roof, but I can add a vent
going through the side of the house throught the bricks. I know how to
do many handy repair jobs around the house, however I need some help on
doing this sort of project. Attaching a vent to go outside to the side
of the house to the brick. The rain hood is a Broan Model 48000. Can
anyone recommend me a good site that will teach me how exactly to
install the vent to attach to the exaust fan? thank you.

mjatas

--
mjatas

Sue(tm)