Default Unusual telephone installation problem - Help

I have two phone lines, identified as Line 1 and Line 2. Line 1 is
the main house line; Line 2 is a "hunter" line: if Line 1 is in use,
any incoming call will automatically jump to Line 2. My installation
requires two separate jacks since Line 1 also accommodates my
answering machine. I use the red & green wires for Line 1, black &
yellow for Line 2.

Problem: I had to remove both jacks from the wall and disconnect all
wiring in order to re-do the room (sheetrock, etc.) and don't recall
which wires were connected to which terminals on which jack to
duplicate the above installation. I did make a schematic before
disconnecting but it got lost in the shuffle of reconstruction.

Can anyone out there with knowledge of telephone wiring help me?
Thanks a bunch.

Sid Waine
Noozer

The jack terminals should have matching coloured wires or lettering molded
into the jack.

If not, try Googling for RJ11 wiring.

wrote in message
I have two phone lines, identified as Line 1 and Line 2. Line 1 is
the main house line; Line 2 is a "hunter" line: if Line 1 is in use,
any incoming call will automatically jump to Line 2. My installation
requires two separate jacks since Line 1 also accommodates my
answering machine. I use the red & green wires for Line 1, black &
yellow for Line 2.

Problem: I had to remove both jacks from the wall and disconnect all
wiring in order to re-do the room (sheetrock, etc.) and don't recall
which wires were connected to which terminals on which jack to
duplicate the above installation. I did make a schematic before
disconnecting but it got lost in the shuffle of reconstruction.

Can anyone out there with knowledge of telephone wiring help me?
Thanks a bunch.

Sid Waine

If the jack is not color coded, the middle 2 pins of the RJ is line 1
and the outer 2 pins are for line 2. Not sure if polarity is an issue.
By the way, why do you have a seperate "jump" line? Can't you just get
call waiting?

Marilyn and Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
If the jack is not color coded, the middle 2 pins of the RJ is line 1
and the outer 2 pins are for line 2. Not sure if polarity is an issue.
By the way, why do you have a seperate "jump" line? Can't you just get
call waiting?

Line 1 Green = Tip; Red = Ring
Line 2 Black = Tip; Yellow = Ring

SO:
On jack for line 1: Green Wire to Green on Jack; Red wire to Red on Jack.
On jack for line 2: Black Wire to Green on Jack; Yellow wire to Red on Jack.
--
Peace,
BobJ