Robert11

Default Wiring Of A Garrage Door Opener When There Is No Ceiling Outlet ?

Hello:

Friend is moving into a 30 year old house which is a bit shy on electrical
outlets.

The previous owner put in an electric garage door opener, but as there is no
outlet on
the ceiling of the garage for a door opener, he ran an extension cord across
the ceiling
and half way down a wall to where there is an outlet.

Ceiling and walls in garage are finished, so it would be quite a
pain to install an outlet there now.

Realize that installing a ceiling outlet, snaking the wires internally to
where they can be spliced
in is of course the best way to do it. Will probably end up doing it that
way, I guess.

But would like to ask:

What do most folks faced with this "problem" do ?
Just this extension cord bit ?

Does this violate any electrical codes ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

The hooligan

I had the very same problem. My garage door openers were installed in
1962. But rather than run an extension cord the owner/builder wired the
openers and fluorescent light direct to the ceiling light boxes. If you
have ceiling light you can remove the box and put an outlet box up
there. One plug can be used for the opener, the other for a 4 or 8 foot
fluorescent with attached plug. HTH

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message

Realize that installing a ceiling outlet, snaking the wires internally to
where they can be spliced
in is of course the best way to do it. Will probably end up doing it that
way, I guess.

You can use surface mounted wiring also. It would look neat, meet code.
Check out Wiremold products that are made for just that.

But would like to ask:

What do most folks faced with this "problem" do ?
Just this extension cord bit ?

Does this violate any electrical codes ?

Yes, but I've seen it done a few times. I don't advocate going against code,
but it is fairly safe is a heavy enough cord is used and you don't use it as
a clothesline. I'd probably do it on a temporary basis if I had to.

willshak

On 2/26/2005 7:09 AM US(ET), Robert11 took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

[...]

My garage door opener has been connected to a wall outlet, with an
extension cord strung across the ceiling, for 20 years.
It does not violate any electrical codes anymore than using an extension
cord for anything else.

--
Bill

Mikepier

The hooligan wrote:
I had the very same problem. My garage door openers were installed in
1962. But rather than run an extension cord the owner/builder wired

the
openers and fluorescent light direct to the ceiling light boxes. If

you
have ceiling light you can remove the box and put an outlet box up
there. One plug can be used for the opener, the other for a 4 or 8

foot
fluorescent with attached plug. HTH

He can do that provided there is constant 110v at the box. It could be
on a switch being it's a light fixture.

John Harlow

RBM wrote:
The extension cord is a violation, although you find them all over.

What is the logic for this "violation"? What's the difference whether the
wire is in front of or behind the wall?

"My garage door opener has been connected to a wall outlet, with an
extension cord strung across the ceiling, for 20 years.
It does not violate any electrical codes anymore than using an
extension
cord for anything else."

I would beg to differ. Using an extension cord for a garage door
opener is a code violation. Extension cords are intended to be used
for temporary connection, not for connecting appliances, motors, etc
which are built into the structure. Just because you did it for 20
years doesn't mean it passes code. This is typically red flagged
during a home inspection prior to sale.

Dennis Turner

On 2/26/2005 7:32 AM or thereabouts, Mikepier appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:
The hooligan wrote:

I had the very same problem. My garage door openers were installed in
1962. But rather than run an extension cord the owner/builder wired

the

openers and fluorescent light direct to the ceiling light boxes. If

you

have ceiling light you can remove the box and put an outlet box up
there. One plug can be used for the opener, the other for a 4 or 8

foot

fluorescent with attached plug. HTH

He can do that provided there is constant 110v at the box. It could be
on a switch being it's a light fixture.

In that case just leave the switch on. I did this in a previous home and
the switch gives an additional security feature. When you go out of
town, flip it off. Then thieves with "code-breakers" can't open the door
that way.

--
I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.
RBM

The NEC recognizes different types of wire and cable for different purposes.
Building wire is designed to be permanently attached to structure behind
walls, extension cord type conductors are not
"John Harlow" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
The extension cord is a violation, although you find them all over.

What is the logic for this "violation"? What's the difference whether the
wire is in front of or behind the wall?

Samuel Warren

When I bought my first house(20 years old). At the end of my gravel
driveway was a Utility/Light Pole with a dawn/dusk sensing 200 watt halogen
industrial design light fixture wired to an extension cord then buried under
ground and re-appeared at the outside outlet at the back door. The real
kicker was when I yanked it all up and dug a trench for it to be wired
properly and lay the wiring in plastic conduit(plus I wanted a weather-proof
outlet on the pole). It was actually two "orange" extension cords. The
idiot who did this had buried the mating of the plug and receptacle of these
two cords straight into unprotected earth. He did not even wrap it in tape
or anything. Needless to say I found some other idiotic wiring inside the
house as well. At least before I sold the house I had all the electrical up
to code.

This message was written on 100% recycled spam. SAM

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Warren Weber

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Bob.. Check your hardware store or electrical outfit for "wiremold" or
Google for it. This lets you extend outlet box out and then attaches to a
metal ducting that fits flush along wall and ceiling to a added outlet
box. Warren

Greg G

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:09:51 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Friend is moving into a 30 year old house which is a bit shy on electrical
outlets.

The previous owner put in an electric garage door opener, but as there is no
outlet on
the ceiling of the garage for a door opener, he ran an extension cord across
the ceiling
and half way down a wall to where there is an outlet.

Ceiling and walls in garage are finished, so it would be quite a
pain to install an outlet there now.

I'm curious about how "finished" your garage is. Since you mention a
door opener, I assume you keep a car in the garage, so it's probably
not some showpiece of a room. If so you could use regular EMT conduit
on the surface of your ceiling and walls. If you don't feel like
buying and learning to use a bender, you could just buy the elbows and
other fittings you need. It is a lot easier to pull wire through bent
curves than fittings, though.

That does still leave open the question of where the electricity is
coming from in the first place. My electrical service box is in my
garage, so in my case it would be easy. You could put the opener on
its own circuit. If not, you could probably put an extender box on
your present oulet box.

I would encourage you to first figure out what else is on that
circuit. If your house is "shy" on outlets, it's probably shy on
circuits too. My house originally had a crazy combination of fixtures
from all over the house on each breaker. The door opener is a very
intermittent use item, but you might not want an electric motor on the
same circuit as your computer, for example. You also might not want it
to be the straw that occasionally breaks the camel's back on an
overloaded circuit.

You could also use the Wiremold surface mount wiring system. I believe
they make an "extension box" that you can attach to your present
outlet box. It extends the box out an inch or so, so it protrudes out
from the wall. This allows you to attach their raceway (sort of a
squared-off conduit) to the side or top of the box, extending along
the wall. Make sure to get the SAME type of their product for the
whole run. They make 2 sizes, which are mutually incompatible and NOT
well labeled. I believe that the WHITE and BEIGE pieces are actually
two different sizes.

I think their stuff is a little expensive and I'm guessing it's harder
to pull wires through than EMT. If a somewhat "industrial" look would
not be out of place in your garage, I'd use EMT.

Greg Guarino
Richard

Find out what your local building code stipulates. Go to your
municipal building inspector and find out what is required for your
neck of the woods.

Extension cords should not be used as a permanent electrical supply for
garage door openers or any other permanent fixture in or about your
home.

Rich
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

Percival P. Cassidy

What about the fittings for feeding track lighting with a short cord and
a 3-pin plug? How come those are legal? Track lighting is usually
installed permanently rather than temporarily, isn't it?

Perce

On 02/26/05 11:44 am Richard tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Find out what your local building code stipulates. Go to your
municipal building inspector and find out what is required for your
neck of the woods.

Extension cords should not be used as a permanent electrical supply for
garage door openers or any other permanent fixture in or about your
home.

Waldo

willshak wrote:

[...]

I think if you look into the electrical code you will find
that it is in violation. Extension cord are only intended to
be used for temporary connections and may not be used as a
substitute for permanent wiring.

Waldo
Andy Hill

"John Harlow" wrote:
RBM wrote:
The extension cord is a violation, although you find them all over.

What is the logic for this "violation"? What's the difference whether the
wire is in front of or behind the wall?

Biggest issue is exposure -- the wire is just exposed 24x7, just waiting for
someone to damage it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Waldo, x Hades Stamps wrote:
Not everywhere requires permanent wiring. I DO agree that extension cords are
not supposed to be used in that way, but there's nothing else you can really
do if your ceiling and walls are finished. It's kind of pricey to install more
outlets, even if you do it yourself, which I recommend doing. You would have
to pay for new drywall, more electrical pipes, electrical wires (copper price
is declining from outrageous, but it's still ridiculous) that are insulated, a
ground wire (usually NOT insulated), and the outlets, not to mention you'd
have to have someone respray your ceiling on if you have a popcorn ceiling, an
electrical box, a brace for the electrical box, and anything I missed. Often,
fluorescent light fixtures do not have their own permanent wiring and have to
plug DIRECTLY into an outlet connected to the light switch. There IS something
that CAN be done, though, and that is to install a longer cord. THAT wouldn't
be a violation, WOULD IT? You could cut the end off of an old extension cord
and connect it to the screws on the garage door. That would PERMANENTLY
connect it, and it would no longer be an extension cord.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dennis Turner, x Hades Stamps wrote:
sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.

Sadly, no pun in ten did.
Ha ha!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to RBM, x Hades Stamps wrote:
Couldn't you just install a longer cord?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert11, x Hades Stamps wrote:
e previous owner put in an electric garage door opener, but as there is
no outlet on
the ceiling of the garage for a door opener, he ran an extension cord
across the ceiling
and half way down a wall to where there is an outlet.

Ceiling and walls in garage are finished, so it would be quite a
pain to install an outlet there now.

Realize that installing a ceiling outlet, snaking the wires internally to
where they can be spliced
in is of course the best way to do it.Â*Â*Will probably end up doing it that
way, I guess.

But would like to ask:

What do most folks faced with this "problem" do ?
Just this extension cord bit ?

Does this violate any electrical codes ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob.. Check your hardware store or electrical outfit for "wiremold" or
Google for it.Â*Â*This lets you extend outlet box out and then attaches to a
metal ducting that fits flush along wall and ceiling to a added outlet
box.Â*Â*Warren

It DOES violate electrical codes, but most people do it anyway. It's not
illegal to live that way, just to sell it that way.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Samuel Warren, x Hades Stamps wrote:
[...]

That's WEIRD! I can't believe people would do that! At least 2001625 (the
minimum max. watt load of most extension cords)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Greg G, x Hades Stamps wrote:
[...]

What is an EMT?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 5:44:10 PM UTC-4, x Hades Stamps wrote:
[...]

You might want to check on that. Around here, what's illegal under the
code is illegal regardless. For example, if I'm doing my roof without
a permit, doing it incorrectly, not to code and the code official
sees it, it's a violation. I can't say, it's OK, I'm not selling the
place. Now on the garage door opener thing, if you
use an extension cord, an inspector for the buyer may flag it. Also
if you have to get a town inspection, for a CO for the sale, they might
flag it, but I doubt it. Around here they only look for a very limited
number of things, eg smoke detectors, handrails on stairs, functioning
bathrooms. I would agree that there are probably plenty of garage
door openers on extension cords and if it's done in a reasonable fashion
it's probably not going to cause a safety issue. The problems come
when people are totally clueless, which is part of the reason we have
the codes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:44:08 GMT, x Hades Stamps
m wrote:

[...]

Electro-Metallic tubing - AKA Thinwall conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 5:44:10 PM UTC-4, x Hades Stamps wrote:
replying to RBM, x Hades Stamps wrote:
Couldn't you just install a longer cord?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

No. It's still a code violation for a number of reasons, including
the new one of modifying UL listed eqpt. You can't use flexible
unprotected cord fastened to ceilings, walls, etc to power permanently
mounted eqpt. In this case it would go across a ceiling and half way
down a wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/13/2017 05:44 PM, x Hades Stamps wrote:
Not everywhere requires permanent wiring. I DO agree that extension cords are
not supposed to be used in that way, but there's nothing else you can really
do if your ceiling and walls are finished. It's kind of pricey to install more
outlets, even if you do it yourself, which I recommend doing. You would have
to pay for new drywall, more electrical pipes, electrical wires (copper price
is declining from outrageous, but it's still ridiculous) that are insulated, a
ground wire (usually NOT insulated), and the outlets, not to mention you'd
have to have someone respray your ceiling on if you have a popcorn ceiling, an
electrical box, a brace for the electrical box, and anything I missed.

Oh good lord!

Cut a 16" x 16" hole (center of stud to center of stud) near the ceiling, drill a 6" access hole in the ceiling, drill a 3/4" hole thru the top plate and run your wires and install receptacle.
If you cut the holes carefully, you can reuse the drywall cutouts to fill the holes.

It would take me longer to find my tools than it would to do the actual work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
replying to RBM, x Hades Stamps wrote: Couldn't you just install a
longer cord?

-- for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm

No. It's still a code violation for a number of reasons, including
the new one of modifying UL listed eqpt. You can't use flexible
unprotected cord fastened to ceilings, walls, etc to power
permanently mounted eqpt. In this case it would go across a ceiling
and half way down a wall.

When you try to interpret the codes, it all depends on the definitions
of "unprotected" (is an outdoor, waterproof extension cord
unprotected?), "flexible" (steel girders are flexible; is Romex
flexible?), "fastened" (if I screw an eyelet into the ceiling of the
garage, attach a one foot length of nylon twine through the eyelet and
knot a loop around the "protected" and "inflexible" wire, is that
fastened?), and "permanently" (is that more than overnight, a week, a
year, a century, a million years?). And, if you sell the property "as
is" and the buyer waives an inspection contingency, is it still an
illegal sale? Lawyers love real estate disputes! All those billable hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You make it sound like this is totally uncharted territory. It's not.
Most of those terms are defined in the NEC and this particular issue
is very clear. A given AHJ is free to follow or not follow NEC.
If the person interested wants to know for sure what their inspector
will say, they can go ask.

And, if you sell the property "as
is" and the buyer waives an inspection contingency, is it still an
illegal sale? Lawyers love real estate disputes! All those billable hours.

Who said any sale would be illegal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 5:44:10 PM UTC-4, x Hades Stamps wrote:
replying to Waldo, x Hades Stamps wrote:
Not everywhere requires permanent wiring. I DO agree that extension cords are
not supposed to be used in that way, but there's nothing else you can really
do if your ceiling and walls are finished. It's kind of pricey to install more
outlets, even if you do it yourself, which I recommend doing. You would have
to pay for new drywall, more electrical pipes, electrical wires (copper price
is declining from outrageous, but it's still ridiculous) that are insulated, a
ground wire (usually NOT insulated), and the outlets, not to mention you'd
have to have someone respray your ceiling on if you have a popcorn ceiling, an
electrical box, a brace for the electrical box, and anything I missed.

Just stop already. New drywall? electrical pipes? braces? I had to add
one in the second bay in my garage. There was a receptacle in the first bay.
I had to make one small drywall hole, ran romex from the existing
receptacle, it was a small, easy job. Will it always be that easy?
No. But without knowing the details of the actual location, you're
just throwing a lot of FUD up. And who ever saw a popcorn ceiling in
a garage?

Often,
fluorescent light fixtures do not have their own permanent wiring and have to
plug DIRECTLY into an outlet connected to the light switch. There IS something
that CAN be done, though, and that is to install a longer cord. THAT wouldn't
be a violation, WOULD IT?

As stated previously, yes it would be a violation.

You could cut the end off of an old extension cord
and connect it to the screws on the garage door. That would PERMANENTLY
connect it, and it would no longer be an extension cord.

Screw a cord onto the garage door? Now that's a new one! I think I
see some issues there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 04:53:39 -0400, Linda wrote:

[...]

Sounds like your garage is like mine - where DID I leave my drywall
tools (Haven't used them in YEARS.)