Posted to alt.home.repair
x Hades Stamps x Hades Stamps is offline

Default Wiring Of A Garrage Door Opener When There Is No Ceiling Outlet?

replying to Waldo, x Hades Stamps wrote:
Not everywhere requires permanent wiring. I DO agree that extension cords are
not supposed to be used in that way, but there's nothing else you can really
do if your ceiling and walls are finished. It's kind of pricey to install more
outlets, even if you do it yourself, which I recommend doing. You would have
to pay for new drywall, more electrical pipes, electrical wires (copper price
is declining from outrageous, but it's still ridiculous) that are insulated, a
ground wire (usually NOT insulated), and the outlets, not to mention you'd
have to have someone respray your ceiling on if you have a popcorn ceiling, an
electrical box, a brace for the electrical box, and anything I missed. Often,
fluorescent light fixtures do not have their own permanent wiring and have to
plug DIRECTLY into an outlet connected to the light switch. There IS something
that CAN be done, though, and that is to install a longer cord. THAT wouldn't
be a violation, WOULD IT? You could cut the end off of an old extension cord
and connect it to the screws on the garage door. That would PERMANENTLY
connect it, and it would no longer be an extension cord.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-out-2837-.htm