Robert11

Default Water Based Polyurethane Stains ?

Hello:

Many years go, I coated a simple plywood top workbench with
a polyurethane stain. Has worn like iron.

Am putting together another similar workbench, and I see now that they
(also) have water based polyurethane stains
available.

Would be nice not to have the odor when applying the stuff.

Are these as good as the non-water based (old) variety ?

Pros and cons ?

Thanks,
Bob

No, not as good. Duh.

nospambob

Can't speak to water based Polyu stains but I've had great success
using TransTint dyes in water based lacquer. The dyes can be mixed
with a number of liquids and are very versatile. Check them out at
www.homesteadfinishing.com

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:07:31 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Many years go, I coated a simple plywood top workbench with
a polyurethane stain. Has worn like iron.

Am putting together another similar workbench, and I see now that they
(also) have water based polyurethane stains
available.

Would be nice not to have the odor when applying the stuff.

Are these as good as the non-water based (old) variety ?

Pros and cons ?

Thanks,
Bob

use the non water base for anything that will be sat on, eaten on,
walked on or in your case worked on.

Unlike regular paint, I just don't trust the water based variety when I
choose polyeurethane. I need to be convinced, especially in adhesion.

Clark Griswold

wrote in message
ups.com...
Unlike regular paint, I just don't trust the water based variety when I
choose polyeurethane. I need to be convinced, especially in adhesion.

I vaguely remember a post a few months ago indicating water based soaked
into the wood. Thereby lasting longer than oil based.
Again, my memory fails me sometimes. It may even have been a post from Effi.

tweaked

"Clark Griswold" wrote in
:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Unlike regular paint, I just don't trust the water based variety when
I choose polyeurethane. I need to be convinced, especially in
adhesion.

I vaguely remember a post a few months ago indicating water based
soaked into the wood. Thereby lasting longer than oil based.
Again, my memory fails me sometimes. It may even have been a post from
Effi.

The bes****er based polyurethane exceeded the best oil poly for wear a long
time ago as tested by Nat Wood Flooring Assoc. They conducted their tests
while representing both manufacturers.
Get into the cheaper brands and all bets are off, they tend to have a
higher acyrlic content, easier for spreading but less for wear.

As for water based polyurethane stains, do you mean water based stains or
some new product to mix in the polyurethane? (Do not dilute your poly)
The new water stains are quite good from the flooring manufacturers, dry
quickly, no laps. Compatible with oil and water finish.

Lots of myths and misinformation floating around....

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM