Norman K

Default cement board in bathtub

The tile wall in my bathtub needs replacement as there are cracks in the
grout and drywall that's beneath it. I don't think I have time to do a
complete repair on a single weekend so I was hoping I could install concrete
backerboard, tape and mortar the joints and corner and finish the job of
installing tile for a latter weekend. Do you think okay to use the
bath/shower in this condition for 3-4 weeks until the tile can be installed?

Norman K wrote:
The tile wall in my bathtub needs replacement as there are cracks in the
grout and drywall that's beneath it. I don't think I have time to do a
complete repair on a single weekend so I was hoping I could install concrete
backerboard, tape and mortar the joints and corner and finish the job of
installing tile for a latter weekend. Do you think okay to use the
bath/shower in this condition for 3-4 weeks until the tile can be installed?

I went for perhaps six months with my long tub wall covered in a sheet of
OSB, while in the midst of a remodel. I just bought two cheap shower
curtains, and stapled them to the OSB so that they covered the long
wall, and overlapped the ends. Obviously not very elegant, but it worked
fine for me.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523
John Hines

"Norman K" wrote:

installing tile for a latter weekend. Do you think okay to use the
bath/shower in this condition for 3-4 weeks until the tile can be installed?

No. Hang up plastic sheeting if you need to shower.

Sexytom976

Just go outside have the wife spray you down with the hose.
You can do the same for her! Do that for a few days and the
shower will be completed in to time.

Norman K wrote:
The tile wall in my bathtub needs replacement as there are cracks in

the
grout and drywall that's beneath it. I don't think I have time to do

complete repair on a single weekend so I was hoping I could install

concrete
backerboard, tape and mortar the joints and corner and finish the job

of
installing tile for a latter weekend. Do you think okay to use the
bath/shower in this condition for 3-4 weeks until the tile can be

installed?

Sexytom976

Just go outside and have your wife just hose you down. You
can do the same for her. That'll get the shower project done
in a few days if not less.

John Gilmer

"Norman K" wrote in message
The tile wall in my bathtub needs replacement as there are cracks in the
grout and drywall that's beneath it.

Unless the tiles are broken or you are really tired of the color, you CAN
temporarily remove loose tiles and damaged drywall in only the damaged
section, replace the damaged section of drying with a more water resistant
material and put things back into place.

I have replaced sections of dry wall with a lath/plaster of Paris patch and
put the tiles back up. Repairs like this take a few days but only a few
hours of actual work. You have to let the plaster set before you can
cement the tile back and then you have to wait another day before your can
grout.

As others have indicated, if you MUST take a shower, tape some plastic over
the repair site until the job is finished.