Bob

Default What is the best setting for my furnace humidifier?

I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier on my furnace and I would like to know
what is the best around percent setting to set it on. I don't want to run
down stairs every time the outside temperature changes and reset the device
that's mounted on my cold air return to a different outside temperature.
Thanks for your help.
Some of the so-called know-it-alls in the group say it wastes energy, but I
don't care I just want comfort in my home, and eliminate static electricity,
and a dry throat. I'll worry about my gas bill myself,

Bob wrote:

I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier on my furnace and I would like to know
what is the best around percent setting to set it on. I don't want to run
down stairs every time the outside temperature changes and reset the device
that's mounted on my cold air return to a different outside temperature.
Thanks for your help.
Some of the so-called know-it-alls in the group say it wastes energy, but I
don't care I just want comfort in my home, and eliminate static electricity,
and a dry throat. I'll worry about my gas bill myself,

I set mine so it keeps humidity fairly "high" and I have never seen it
go over 33% upstairs. Remember you set it based on outside air
temperature so I set mine for around 20 degrees, which is quite cold
here in northern NJ. Of course the results depend a great deal on size
and tightness of your home. BTW You have RTFM I hope.

LB
Joseph Meehan

Bob wrote:
I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier on my furnace and I would like to
know what is the best around percent setting to set it on. I don't
want to run down stairs every time the outside temperature changes
and reset the device that's mounted on my cold air return to a
different outside temperature. Thanks for your help.

There is no need to. Assuming it was properly installed, it will adjust
the humidity according the the outside temperature for you.

"The Aprilaire Automatic Humidifier Model 600 is the newest addition to the
aprilaire humidifier line. It takes humidifier innovation to the next level
and performs as good as it looks! It offers all of the performance benefits
of Aprilaire's more advanced humidifiers including AutoTrack which
automatically adjusts humidity based on outside temperature. "

Just adjust it as per the instructions that came with it and forget it.
That works for me.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dr. Hardcrab

"Bob" wrote in message
I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier on my furnace and I would like to know
what is the best around percent setting to set it on. I don't want to run
down stairs every time the outside temperature changes and reset the
device
that's mounted on my cold air return to a different outside temperature.
Thanks for your help.
Some of the so-called know-it-alls in the group say it wastes energy, but
don't care I just want comfort in my home, and eliminate static
electricity,
and a dry throat. I'll worry about my gas bill myself,

I tell customers to crank it all the way up as high as it will go. i don't
think it will ever put out enough moisture that your walls will be
dripping.....

Mikepier

This is my first winter in my house I bought, and I never use my
Aprilaire 550 humidifier. I live on Long Island NY. For some reason the
house seems comfortable. I never had to use it yet. I guess every house
is different.

Joseph Meehan

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier on my furnace and I would like to
know what is the best around percent setting to set it on. I don't
want to run down stairs every time the outside temperature changes
and reset the device
that's mounted on my cold air return to a different outside
temperature. Thanks for your help.
Some of the so-called know-it-alls in the group say it wastes
energy, but I
don't care I just want comfort in my home, and eliminate static
electricity,
and a dry throat. I'll worry about my gas bill myself,

I tell customers to crank it all the way up as high as it will go. i
don't think it will ever put out enough moisture that your walls will
be dripping.....

Maybe not the walls but it sure can cause the windows to drip.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bobby_M

I just installed the 600 in my home. Unless you have an older model or
a lazy installer, it has an outside temperature probe that sets the
humidistadt back in extreme cold. I have mine set between "4-5". Any
higher and I get too much drippage on my windows and I have dual pane
windows. I'd guess single panes would be worse.

Bobby

m Ransley

If that is the auto model unit with the outside thermometer you set it
till your windows condense then back it off till there is no
condensation anywhere. and leave it , then it should automaticly set the
humidity so condensation never occurs.

Bob

My Aprilaire 600 has no outside probe. It just has an adjustment unit
mounted on the cold air return. I put it on 40 degrees outside temp and so
far I haven't noticed any condensation on the windows. My ranch home is 2800
square feet.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If that is the auto model unit with the outside thermometer you set it
till your windows condense then back it off till there is no
condensation anywhere. and leave it , then it should automaticly set the
humidity so condensation never occurs.

Joseph Meehan

Bob wrote:
My Aprilaire 600 has no outside probe. It just has an adjustment unit
mounted on the cold air return. I put it on 40 degrees outside temp
and so far I haven't noticed any condensation on the windows. My
ranch home is 2800 square feet.

Since that probe is a feature of the 600, I would have to guess whoever
installed it screwed up, or you just did not notice it. It is connected to
the control unit with a low voltage wire. Mine was a molded two conductor
white cable about 22 gauge. I did not run it outside, but into the make-up
air intake for the furnace. It needs to be close to the inlet.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If that is the auto model unit with the outside thermometer you set
it till your windows condense then back it off till there is no
condensation anywhere. and leave it , then it should automaticly set
the humidity so condensation never occurs.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bobby_M

Joseph,

Actually I think the older model 600's did not have the probe. I think
it was a design enhancement recently. Then again, I could easily see an
installer skipping it because it technically still humidifies and
shaves off a few minutes of his labor.

Bobby

Joseph Meehan

Bobby_M wrote:
Joseph,

Actually I think the older model 600's did not have the probe. I think
it was a design enhancement recently. Then again, I could easily see
an installer skipping it because it technically still humidifies and
shaves off a few minutes of his labor.

Bobby

You may well be right, I really don't know, but their description on
their web site sounds like it has always been there although it does not
clearly say so.