Doug Kanter

Default slow shower drain

"Paul O." wrote in message
First of all, did a google and have been reading the info there. Was
wondering just what is safe for the plastic pipes of my mobile home. Two
soloutions I read that I liked is (1) baking soda and vinegar, and (2)
pouring boiling water down the drain. Don't want to use the chemical if I
don't have to. Also, I'm not to crazy about crawling around underneath,
spiders ya know, if I don't have to. I did try a plunger last nite which
helped. Tonite I tried the boiling water, which made a lot of noises, the
cold plastic I suppose. Thanks for your input.

Paul O.

I like hot water with metal pipes, but not plastic. Try the plunger again.
The main reason it may not work is that as you're trying to build up
pressure under the plunger, some of it's going out the overflow drain. So,
wet a washcloth and hold it tightly in the overflow drain. Put enough water
in the tub to cover 2" of the plunger.

Baking soda and vinegar....I dunno. Sounds to me like it would not help, but
would do no harm.

The final, and probably best solution is to peek under the home, estimate
the length of pipe that could be clogged, and go buy a cheap snake of that
length. Cheap because unless it's warm enough where you live to hose the
snake off outdoors when you're done with it, how are you gonna clean it when
you're done with it? If you can, fine. If not, just toss the thing. It
doesn't have to be a motorized snake - a manual one is good enough.

Finally, when you're done, change the tub strainer to a dome-shaped one if
you don't already have such a thing in place. I find they catch more hair
than the flat screens.

Joseph Meehan

Paul O. wrote:
First of all, did a google and have been reading the info there. Was
wondering just what is safe for the plastic pipes of my mobile home.
Two soloutions I read that I liked is (1) baking soda and vinegar,
and (2) pouring boiling water down the drain. Don't want to use the
chemical if I don't have to. Also, I'm not to crazy about crawling
around underneath, spiders ya know, if I don't have to. I did try a
plunger last nite which helped. Tonite I tried the boiling water,
which made a lot of noises, the cold plastic I suppose. Thanks for
your input.
Paul O.

So I am guessing that the shower drain is slow. Have you cleaned out
the gunk that is right at the drain? Remove the drain plug if there is one
and take a look. Do you see hair and gunk stuck there. Try removing it
using whatever tools seem to make it easy. I suggest tweezers.

If that does not do it, try a snake or try the plunger again, this time
have someone hold a wet towel over the over flow (usually a metal covered
hole above the drain) to block it making the plunger more effective.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I have to clean my shower floor drain out once every 6 months or so,
(gets a lot of use, with kids & all) It is gross, but necessary.

I screw off the top plate/screen. Then I reach down with my specially
created tool (10 inch long chunk of coat hanger wire, end bent into a
small hook-like formation) I reach it down, it comes up with gobbs of
hair and other unmentionable spooge. I usually put it into a used
orange juice can, or some other rigid disposable cup, (so it wont leak)
and carry it right to the outside garbage. Sometimes it take a few
plunges/retrievals, but it seems to really clean it up.

JerryMouse

Paul O. wrote:
First of all, did a google and have been reading the info there. Was
wondering just what is safe for the plastic pipes of my mobile home.
Two soloutions I read that I liked is

(1) baking soda and vinegar,

Which generates unbelievable, astronomical, amounts of CO2 that will blow
your "stuff" into the next county. But that's probably what you want.

and (2) pouring boiling water down the drain.

Copious amounts of ammonia will sometimes help.

Actually, it depends on what's down there. Hair and chimpmunks, for example,
are almost totally insoluable. In anythng.

Goedjn

First of all, did a google and have been reading the info there. Was
wondering just what is safe for the plastic pipes of my mobile home. Two
soloutions I read that I liked is (1) baking soda and vinegar, and (2)
pouring boiling water down the drain. Don't want to use the chemical if I
don't have to. Also, I'm not to crazy about crawling around underneath,
spiders ya know, if I don't have to. I did try a plunger last nite which
helped. Tonite I tried the boiling water, which made a lot of noises, the
cold plastic I suppose. Thanks for your input.

Only an idiot tries to use chemicals to clear drain problems. Drains
should be mechanically cleared using a plunger and/or a snake.
If the problem is recurrent, then the afflicted area should be taken
apart and rebuild properly.

Matt

Oh I dont know. Pop rocks and coke can clear almost anything.

Doug Kanter

"Goedjn" wrote in message

First of all, did a google and have been reading the info there. Was
wondering just what is safe for the plastic pipes of my mobile home. Two
soloutions I read that I liked is (1) baking soda and vinegar, and (2)
pouring boiling water down the drain. Don't want to use the chemical if I
don't have to. Also, I'm not to crazy about crawling around underneath,
spiders ya know, if I don't have to. I did try a plunger last nite which
helped. Tonite I tried the boiling water, which made a lot of noises, the
cold plastic I suppose. Thanks for your input.

Only an idiot tries to use chemicals to clear drain problems. Drains
should be mechanically cleared using a plunger and/or a snake.
If the problem is recurrent, then the afflicted area should be taken
apart and rebuild properly.

Yeah. Tell that to the chimp who installed the horizontal part of the pipe
that takes my bathtub drain across the basement ceiling to the big drain
pipe. It angles upward in the direction of water travel. That'll be
demolished & replaced soon.